Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Strange restore of Data

14 Jul 2014   #1
Bill037

Vista
 
 
Strange restore of Data

After a failed normal boot just left the mouse arrow working on a plain screen , I rebooted tapping the del key and got the usual screen and after backing up to an external hard drive all the user data, I reinstalled the factory settings.

So far so good !

I then created a folder on the desktop for the data from the external hard disc and copied it across.

and clicked on the 'restore' (forgotten its proper name) which it did fine !

QUESTION :- HOW TO I GET TO THE Folders it names as the location of the photos, mp3 and the video clips ?

Looking in the C:- users part of the hard disc I find 'my picture' which is empty.

All this data has gone somewhere but I can't find it !

A feel an idiot not to easily stumble across but I need a few clues as to be able to locate the normal folder called 'Pictures; because it appears to be hidden !

A very puzzled,

Bill


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Jul 2014   #2
MrNeeds

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill037 View Post
After a failed normal boot just left the mouse arrow working on a plain screen , I rebooted tapping the del key and got the usual screen and after backing up to an external hard drive all the user data, I reinstalled the factory settings.

So far so good !

I then created a folder on the desktop for the data from the external hard disc and copied it across.

and clicked on the 'restore' (forgotten its proper name) which it did fine !

QUESTION :- HOW TO I GET TO THE Folders it names as the location of the photos, mp3 and the video clips ?

Looking in the C:- users part of the hard disc I find 'my picture' which is empty.

All this data has gone somewhere but I can't find it !

A feel an idiot not to easily stumble across but I need a few clues as to be able to locate the normal folder called 'Pictures; because it appears to be hidden !

A very puzzled,

Bill
Hi Bill, If it's a straight forward restoration of windows then you should have a folder called "windows old" (see below), just navigate to that and go to users>"yourname" and your files should be there.

Strange restore of Data-windows-old.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2014   #3
Bill037

Vista
 
 
Solved

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill037 View Post
After a failed normal boot just left the mouse arrow working on a plain screen , I rebooted tapping the del key and got the usual screen and after backing up to an external hard drive all the user data, I reinstalled the factory settings.

So far so good !

I then created a folder on the desktop for the data from the external hard disc and copied it across.

and clicked on the 'restore' (forgotten its proper name) which it did fine !

QUESTION :- HOW TO I GET TO THE Folders it names as the location of the photos, mp3 and the video clips ?

Looking in the C:- users part of the hard disc I find 'my picture' which is empty.

All this data has gone somewhere but I can't find it !

A feel an idiot not to easily stumble across but I need a few clues as to be able to locate the normal folder called 'Pictures; because it appears to be hidden !

A very puzzled,

Bill
Hi Bill, If it's a straight forward restoration of windows then you should have a folder called "windows old" (see below), just navigate to that and go to users>"yourname" and your files should be there.

Attachment 325539
Brilliant ! It lead to a solution !

I found

c:/system recovery files/ etc

and the folder I found there had them all in !

You are a HERO !

It was driving me crackers ! all 135GB of it !



Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2014   #4
MrNeeds

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill037 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill037 View Post
After a failed normal boot just left the mouse arrow working on a plain screen , I rebooted tapping the del key and got the usual screen and after backing up to an external hard drive all the user data, I reinstalled the factory settings.

So far so good !

I then created a folder on the desktop for the data from the external hard disc and copied it across.

and clicked on the 'restore' (forgotten its proper name) which it did fine !

QUESTION :- HOW TO I GET TO THE Folders it names as the location of the photos, mp3 and the video clips ?

Looking in the C:- users part of the hard disc I find 'my picture' which is empty.

All this data has gone somewhere but I can't find it !

A feel an idiot not to easily stumble across but I need a few clues as to be able to locate the normal folder called 'Pictures; because it appears to be hidden !

A very puzzled,

Bill
Hi Bill, If it's a straight forward restoration of windows then you should have a folder called "windows old" (see below), just navigate to that and go to users>"yourname" and your files should be there.

Attachment 325539
Brilliant ! It lead to a solution !

I found

c:/system recovery files/ etc

and the folder I found there had them all in !

You are a HERO !

It was driving me crackers ! all 135GB of it !



Bill
glad you got it sorted Bill, Peace of mind at last.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Strange restore of Data




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Strange System Restore behavior
System restore is acting really strange on my system to a degree I've never seen before. I 1st noticed it about a week ago. I had roughly 320GB free on my hard drives and all of the sudden over a weeks time it would continually drop. Day 2 it went to about 305GB, then 299 to 285 etc. until it got...
General Discussion
Very strange 'restore previous versions' problem
Hi guys about 2 months ago whilst on holidays i accidently copied over some photos ('copy and replace'. I've read up how to restore these files but there are 'no previous versions'. The problem isn't that previous versions' isn't on or working at all as it works for all of my other files.. I...
Backup and Restore
Strange Data Transfer Behavior
I have a strange case here . I can transfer every thing from Drive to drive with no problems , except for some Media file . I have 5 of them . They're video files ( BBC programs about Science ) . So i started to notice when i transfer more than 100GB of Video from one HDD to another one ....
General Discussion
HELP! Need to restore data from external HDD
Hello, I have a 64 bit Asus laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. My laptop recently had a hard drive problem and i had to get it removed and put in another one. My original hard drive was put in a case and i can use it as an external hard drive now. I had not done any back up or anything (new...
General Discussion
VoIP softphone & PSP X2 acting strange after restore
After my system restored from this issue, VoIP softphone PhonerLite is acting strange. I have it in Startup folder, starting automatically minimized when ever I boot Win7. Up to system restore everything worked fine. After restoring my system, I get this message every time I boot: VoIP softphone...
Network & Sharing
(System Restore) Something very strange happened...
Can anybody explain this: For a reason I had to do System Restore. It worked and told me my system was restored to a restore point I had chosen. Reboot, everything seemed fine. Logon screen, my password, and then the usual Welcome-screen which normally lasts only a couple of seconds before...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App