Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: After Windows update, cannot login nor restore system

21 Nov 2014   #71
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

If I may ask a question.

amilatie are you using Windows 7/64 Enterprise as you system specs indicate?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Nov 2014   #72
amilatie

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
If I may ask a question.

amilatie are you using Windows 7/64 Enterprise as you system specs indicate?
yes, I am.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2014   #73
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amilatie View Post
In the future, what should I do about Windows updates? Should I be concerned?
Not concerned at all. You can do "system restore now" to go back in time (only for settings and system files). Why was system restore not enabled?

Windows updates modifies system files and settings. No idea why your userprofile was corrected all of sudden. It wasn't related to the updates I assume.

We didn't rollback the patches anyway.
In a few weeks you can delete in C:\users the folders (and all inside it): oldusername . There's also a temp for your username.... deleet that as well
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Nov 2014   #74
amilatie

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amilatie View Post
In the future, what should I do about Windows updates? Should I be concerned?
Not concerned at all. You can do "system restore now" to go back in time (only for settings and system files). Why was system restore not enabled?

Windows updates modifies system files and settings. No idea why your userprofile was corrected all of sudden. It wasn't related to the updates I assume.

We didn't rollback the patches anyway.
In a few weeks you can delete in C:\users the folders (and all inside it): oldusername . There's also a temp for your username.... deleet that as well
I'm not sure why system restore was not enabled? I hadn't paid attention to it before I needed it. Would you recommend doing a system restore now even though it's been a good amount of time now and everything seems to be functioning correctly under the new profile?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2014   #75
Shimshom

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

There is no need to use restore if it's all working just make sure you keep using system restore for later references. Firefox by default keeps a backup of your bookmarks in your profile in AppData as a file called Some_Date.json so you'll be able to restore your bookmarks from your old profile but you'll need to 1st show hidden files and folders by going to My Computer/Organize/Folder options/View and tick Show Hidden Files and Folders apply and OK then go to "C:\Users\oldusername\AppData\Roaming\Mozila\Firerfox\Profiles\Random number.default\bookmarkbackups" and open the bookmarkbackups folder to see what's there. If you have the .json files then open Firefox click on the bookmark symbol click show all bookmarks then click on Import & Backup choose Restore, Choose a File and point it to the location of the .json files and select the latest date. You can also copy the .json files to your desktop or another location and point Firefox to that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2014   #76
amilatie

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shimshom View Post
There is no need to use restore if it's all working just make sure you keep using system restore for later references. Firefox by default keeps a backup of your bookmarks in your profile in AppData as a file called Some_Date.json so you'll be able to restore your bookmarks from your old profile but you'll need to 1st show hidden files and folders by going to My Computer/Organize/Folder options/View and tick Show Hidden Files and Folders apply and OK then go to "C:\Users\oldusername\AppData\Roaming\Mozila\Firerfox\Profiles\Random number.default\bookmarkbackups" and open the bookmarkbackups folder to see what's there. If you have the .json files then open Firefox click on the bookmark symbol click show all bookmarks then click on Import & Backup choose Restore, Choose a File and point it to the location of the .json files and select the latest date. You can also copy the .json files to your desktop or another location and point Firefox to that

Thank you so much. I was able to restore all of my bookmarks. I really appreciate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 After Windows update, cannot login nor restore system




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
System Restore and Windows Update issues--related?
I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and I recently noticed that I can no longer restore to any of my older SR points. I can manually create one and restore to that but nothing else works. It even fails in Safe Mode. At the same time I notice I am no longer able to check for or download updates. I've...
Backup and Restore
Windows won't update (KB2862152) after system restore.
This started about two weeks ago when I noticed my computer was occasionally shutting down for no apparent reason. I suspected that it was faulty Nvidia drivers because I've had problems with them before. I restored the system to before the problems occurred and then Windows just kept failing to...
Windows Updates & Activation
System Restore/Windows Update Problem
I bought a Windows 7 Dell desktop computer about 3 years ago, it worked fine until this spring. The computer would freeze, I would use system restore to go back a few weeks and it would work fine for another 2 weeks or so. This happened 3 times in a row, then it worked for a good 2 months and then...
Windows Updates & Activation
windows update and system restore failure.
Can anyone help please? About a week ago my win 7 business PC automatically downloaded updates including SP1 I think. However, we then had some problems using flash on some cloudbased business systems we use so having associated these problems with the time of the update I carried out a system...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 64 wont update OR system restore
Wouldnt even search for updates, now im getting this; ""WindowsUpdate_80246008" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"" any adive/ideas? system restore fails in normal AND safe mode. This is the first time windows update has even let me connect in weeks. Already tryed turning off and uninstalling antivirus...
Backup and Restore
Windows Update & System Restore Points BUG !?
hi ! 2 days ago on 100830 (Aug 30) i restored my system to a System Restore Point created a few days earlier, on 100826 (Aug 26). as i understand it, everything that has been installed AFTER the System Restore Point are then lost, including security-patches from Windows Update etc. ...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:23.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App