Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Understanding backup correct format.

01 Apr 2015   #1
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 
Understanding backup correct format.

Im self taught ,and read this forum regulary for instruction and knowledge but .i have this issue re backup format /protocols.
SSD (C) drive with OS and apps.>
WD Black 1 Tb split into (2) 500gb drives (data)
Seagate 1 TB USB3 for backups ,offline until required for use. Manually connected .
Back ups held on both WD 500gb partition as well as External drive.

Aomei V2.5 ( one click backups and have used Aomei for 12 mths) no issues , easy interface and perform integity checks with each backup performed.
Aomei boot disk on USB is in drawer.

My question is .(1) I have been performing System backups ,size approx 26gb , includes MBR and do this on the 1st of every month.Then delete oldest 6 mths backup files ,so i have last 6 mths held as current.
So am i using the correct format (IE Full system) or should i perform an Image file backup or Clone ???????
Whats the diff ???? and does full system also include any data held on C drive??????
I dont want to do Incremental nor Differentials as issues can arise and i find that 26gb only takes approx 5 minutes inc integrity check but I DO want it to all be there just in case.!!!!

I have experienced the pain when a hardware failure MOBO or HD suddenly expires .(full re install)
Thanks in advance


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Apr 2015   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post

My question is .(1) I have been performing System backups ,size approx 26gb , includes MBR and do this on the 1st of every month.Then delete oldest 6 mths backup files ,so i have last 6 mths held as current.
So am i using the correct format (IE Full system) or should i perform an Image file backup or Clone ???????
Whats the diff ???? and does full system also include any data held on C drive??????
I assume the PC boots fine and operates well with only the SSD connected. Is that correct?

If it is correct, and all you want to do is be able to restore the C partition, including Windows and applications, you would have to make an image file of the C partition and most likely any other partition found on the SSD, such as "System Reserved" since your boot files probably are not on C. You could make separate image files of each partition, or make one image file containing all the necessary partitions.

You use the terms "full system" and ""Image file backup and clone". Is that Aomei nomenclature? I don't use that application and don't know for sure how those are defined.

A screen shot of Windows Disk Management and the Aomei interface showing the confusion options might help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2015   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

The AOMEI definitions are all here. I think you want a system backup. A clone would give you a bootable system. You use that if you want to transfer the system from one disk to another. The term 'image file backup' is not separately described. I guess that would be an image and is the same as a system backup unless you mean a separate backup of the image files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Apr 2015   #4
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post

My question is .(1) I have been performing System backups ,size approx 26gb , includes MBR and do this on the 1st of every month.Then delete oldest 6 mths backup files ,so i have last 6 mths held as current.
So am i using the correct format (IE Full system) or should i perform an Image file backup or Clone ???????
Whats the diff ???? and does full system also include any data held on C drive??????
I assume the PC boots fine and operates well with only the SSD connected. Is that correct?

If it is correct, and all you want to do is be able to restore the C partition, including Windows and applications, you would have to make an image file of the C partition and most likely any other partition found on the SSD, such as "System Reserved" since your boot files probably are not on C. You could make separate image files of each partition, or make one image file containing all the necessary partitions.

You use the terms "full system" and ""Image file backup and clone". Is that Aomei nomenclature? I don't use that application and don't know for sure how those are defined.

A screen shot of Windows Disk Management and the Aomei interface showing the confusion options might help.
PC has both SSD and internal wd Black 1 tb running at optimum , SSD has only 1 partition (c) with 26 gig used space ,all i wanted to know was should i be performing

(1) (full system )with Aomei which includes MBR as a regular backup or perform a Disc (c) backup
as im haviing issues determining what format would be best if i ever have a hardware failure and need to recover.I fully understand you are not familiar with Aomei.
Thanks for prompt responce
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2015   #5
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
The AOMEI definitions are all here. I think you want a system backup. A clone would give you a bootable system. You use that if you want to transfer the system from one disk to another. The term 'image file backup' is not separately described. I guess that would be an image and is the same as a system backup unless you mean a separate backup of the image files.
Cheers ,thanks for link , I think you have answered my query , Clone !!!!
Im trying to determine which would be best if ever the need arose to recover from a hard drive failure and or corruption in the future (which will happen) sooner or later .
Full system ???? Disk ???? or Clone??????
The above 3 descriptions are causing head spins .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2015   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Definitely not a clone. Cloning is typically used when everything is fine and you just want to move to a new hard drive. It's not intended for recovering from a disaster.

I don't see the term "full system" on the Aomei help page. I do see:

"Disk backup", which should be for ALL partitions on a drive. Including data partitions if you had any on that disk. I guess you don't.

"System backup" would be for only those partitions on a drive that would be needed to restore Windows. On your SSD, that would be C and the normally unseen System Reserved, which you may nor may not have since we have yet to see a screen shot of Windows Disk Management as requested.

I'd guess all you need to do is a "System Backup", saving the image files to some other drive entirely. When disaster strikes, you would then do a "System Restore".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2015   #7
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Copy of current disc management


Attached Thumbnails
Understanding backup correct format.-disk-management.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2015   #8
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

The SSD shows 2 partitions. C and a very small 100 mb partition marked "system, active, primary".

Windows needs both to start as you are now configured. So you would need to back up and later restore both of them.

I'd expect a "System Backup" per Aomei instruction page would back up both because Aomei will realize that both are needed and C isn't enough. You should confirm that by reading through the help files.

That small partition is not necessary IF your boot files are on some other partition, but in your case they are on the small one. So backing it up is mandatory. My SSD has C only.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2015   #9
Oldhead

Windows7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Many thanks ,for patience and advice ignatzatronic ! System backup it is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Understanding backup correct format.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Getting Word to Open in Correct Format on "New" Context Menu
I use Office XP (esp Word 2002, .doc) on my Win7 machine. I use the Office 2007 Compatability Pack to be compatible with Word 2007/2010's .docx. A little clumsy, but it works...I don't want to change to Open Office, et al. I set the default font in my Word 2002 as Times New Roman-12pt. ...
Microsoft Office
Format Backup Drive And Start Over?
I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB drive as my location to backup my Win 7 64 bit system. Purchased 3 months ago, and not knowing any better, I allowed it to setup and install the Windows and Mac software. I did the initial backup using the included Memeo software. I received a message this...
Backup and Restore
backup and then format
If i Backup my files and then Format windows 7,will my files stay,such as games,videos,music...
Backup and Restore
I might format....Checklist of what/how to backup?
Hi friends, I am facing a few problems in my win7. I have posted them in relevent section and hope to get replies. But there is a good possibility that i will reformat my hdd and reinstall everything starting from win7. Now i want help on how to create backup of things that are not easily...
Installation & Setup
backup wants to format drive
I have noticed that the last scheduled backup did not complete, so I started it manually. At some point, a window popped up and asked me to format (!) the target drive, which had been in use for over the year and several backups stored on it. There were about 80Gb of space left, which may not be...
Backup and Restore
Backup DVD format fails
Why is it trying to format a DVD? Why don't it just write to it?
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App