Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Macrium Reflect Free making multiple images?

21 May 2015   #31
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by simrick View Post

So, just to be clear: Let's say my HDD bites the dust. I get a new one (that's at least 10% larger than the used space on the original drive), boot from the WinPE disk, restore the full image, then restore the latest C image, then attach my Crashplan drive and restore the latest versions of my data (unless, of course, they're encrypted, then I would restore to a previous version). Does that sound right?


You may be confused. I'm guessing you are because you say "restore the full image, then restore the latest C image".

What's contained in the so-called "full image" you mention? What partitions does it represent?

To restore Windows and get it running, you need to make and later restore an image file that represents C. You also need to make and later restore an image file of another partition IF, I say IF that other partition contains your boot files. This other partition is typically called "System Reserved", but your boot files can be anywhere, depending on who built the PC.

Let's say your boot files are on System Reserved.

You need to restore both C and System Reserved. So you need to have image files of both partitions.

You could make a single image file containing both partitions or you could make a separate image file for each. If you did the former, you'd presumably make that single image file on some repeating schedule. If you did the latter, you COULD do that repeatedly also, but more likely you'd just make one image of System Reserved and then make repeated images of C according to your schedule.

You can make images of your data partitions if you want, but I'd never fully rely on it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 May 2015   #32
simrick

W7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by simrick View Post

So, just to be clear: Let's say my HDD bites the dust. I get a new one (that's at least 10% larger than the used space on the original drive), boot from the WinPE disk, restore the full image, then restore the latest C image, then attach my Crashplan drive and restore the latest versions of my data (unless, of course, they're encrypted, then I would restore to a previous version). Does that sound right?


You may be confused. I'm guessing you are because you say "restore the full image, then restore the latest C image".

What's contained in the so-called "full image" you mention? What partitions does it represent?

To restore Windows and get it running, you need to make and later restore an image file that represents C. You also need to make and later restore an image file of another partition IF, I say IF that other partition contains your boot files. This other partition is typically called "System Reserved", but your boot files can be anywhere, depending on who built the PC.

Let's say your boot files are on System Reserved.

You need to restore both C and System Reserved. So you need to have image files of both partitions.

You could make a single image file containing both partitions or you could make a separate image file for each. If you did the former, you'd presumably make that single image file on some repeating schedule. If you did the latter, you COULD do that repeatedly also, but more likely you'd just make one image of System Reserved and then make repeated images of C according to your schedule.

You can make images of your data partitions if you want, but I'd never fully rely on it.

The full image I was referring to would be the system reserved and C partitions of my drive - that's all there is on my computer. So I was thinking I make one full image and then subsequent images of C partition. So for this particular system of mine.. I just reinstalled Win8Pro on the new HDD then updated to 8.1...it has System Reserved and C. In Disk Management, it says that Boot is on C: partition. So in this case, could I make one complete image (both partitions) and then just update C on a regular basis?

Then if the boot was on the system reserved partition, I would need to periodically update that image as well? or am I confused....I thought the boot didn't really change...

To further confuse me, on the ASUS W8.1 machine my friend has, there are 8 partitions (ugh!):
unallocated 1MB
win re tools 800MB NTFS
system260MB FAT32
other 128MB reserved
windows C 800.35GB NTFS
D data 112.63GB NTFS
recovery (including install.wim) 17.37GB NTFS
unallocated 7.11KB

I don't have access to it at the moment, so I don't know where the boot files reside. I'm not sure how to tackle this one?

Thanks for your patience with me!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2015   #33
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by simrick View Post
In Disk Management, it says that Boot is on C: partition.
Post a MAXIMIZED screen print of Disk Management
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

In Disk Management the partition that shows "Boot" is the partition that the Windows OS is installed on, and currently running.
In Disk Management the partition that shows "System/Active" is where the boot code is, used to boot up the correct Windows OS partition.
Yes, it's confusing...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 May 2015   #34
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

see comments in bold

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by simrick View Post


The full image I was referring to would be the system reserved and C partitions of my drive - that's all there is on my computer. So I was thinking I make one full image and then subsequent images of C partition. So for this particular system of mine.. I just reinstalled Win8Pro on the new HDD then updated to 8.1...it has System Reserved and C. In Disk Management, it says that Boot is on C: partition. So in this case, could I make one complete image (both partitions) and then just update C on a regular basis?

No, I wouldn't do it that way. Here's the problem with your method. Suppose on May 1 you "make one full image", representing both System Reserved and C. Then on May 10, you make an image of C only. Then on May 20, your drive fails. You'd have to restore the May 1 image, not the newer May 10 image because you don't have an image of System Reserved ONLY. If you restore the May 10 image only, it won't boot because that image file does not include the boot files. You could restore the May 1 image and then immediately restore the May 10 image of C, overwriting the May 1 image of C, but why bother going through 2 restoration procedures? Why complicate a procedure that is shaky to begin with? You can't restore just part of an image file (C but not System Reserved). It's all or none.

Take your pic from the following, either would work:

1: ALWAYS make one image file, containing both C and System Reserved. Each and every time, at whatever schedule you want. Restore this single image file when you have issues.

2: Make an image of System Reserved ONLY. Make another image of C ONLY. Don't make more images of System Reserved unless you do something radical like install a dual boot (2 operating systems). Make periodic new images of C ONLY. When disaster strikes, you restore both images, separately.


Then if the boot was on the system reserved partition, I would need to periodically update that image as well? or am I confused....I thought the boot didn't really change...

"Boot" is never going to be on System Reserved. Boot will always be C. That's where Windows lives. C will be changing constantly. System Reserved will rarely if ever change.

To further confuse me, on the ASUS W8.1 machine my friend has, there are 8 partitions (ugh!):
unallocated 1MB

Unallocated space is NOT a partition. It's unallocated space. Your friend has 6 partitions.


win re tools 800MB NTFS
system260MB FAT32
other 128MB reserved
windows C 800.35GB NTFS
D data 112.63GB NTFS
recovery (including install.wim) 17.37GB NTFS
unallocated 7.11KB

I don't have access to it at the moment, so I don't know where the boot files reside. I'm not sure how to tackle this one?

You'd need to look at his Windows Disk Management to decipher things. He'd need to restore C and whatever partition is marked as "system" in order to recover from a drive failure. He COULD restore additional partitions, but they wouldn't be required to get back to a bootable Windows.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2015   #35
simrick

W7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by simrick View Post
In Disk Management, it says that Boot is on C: partition.
Post a MAXIMIZED screen print of Disk Management
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

In Disk Management the partition that shows "Boot" is the partition that the Windows OS is installed on, and currently running.
In Disk Management the partition that shows "System/Active" is where the boot code is, used to boot up the correct Windows OS partition.
Yes, it's confusing...
YES! Confusing! LOL


Attached Thumbnails
Macrium Reflect Free making multiple images?-disk-management.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2015   #36
simrick

W7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post

2: Make an image of System Reserved ONLY. Make another image of C ONLY. Don't make more images of System Reserved unless you do something radical like install a dual boot (2 operating systems). Make periodic new images of C ONLY. When disaster strikes, you restore both images, separately.

"Boot" is never going to be on System Reserved. Boot will always be C. That's where Windows lives. C will be changing constantly. System Reserved will rarely if ever change.
Yes, option #2 makes sense to me now. Thanks for that.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Unallocated space is NOT a partition. It's unallocated space. Your friend has 6 partitions...
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post

You'd need to look at his Windows Disk Management to decipher things. He'd need to restore C and whatever partition is marked as "system" in order to recover from a drive failure. He COULD restore additional partitions, but they wouldn't be required to get back to a bootable Windows.
I will have access to it later next week. I'll have a look and report back. Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2015   #37
simrick

W7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
see comments in bold

You'd need to look at his Windows Disk Management to decipher things. He'd need to restore C and whatever partition is marked as "system" in order to recover from a drive failure. He COULD restore additional partitions, but they wouldn't be required to get back to a bootable Windows.
Okay, so here is the info on my friend's machine:


Attached Thumbnails
Macrium Reflect Free making multiple images?-disk-management-knust.png   Macrium Reflect Free making multiple images?-macrium-partitions-knust.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #38
simrick

W7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by simrick View Post
In Disk Management, it says that Boot is on C: partition.
Post a MAXIMIZED screen print of Disk Management
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

In Disk Management the partition that shows "Boot" is the partition that the Windows OS is installed on, and currently running.
In Disk Management the partition that shows "System/Active" is where the boot code is, used to boot up the correct Windows OS partition.
Yes, it's confusing...
I've had a chance to grab screen shots of my friend's machine (above). Any chance of deciphering it, or should I head on over to eightforums?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2015   #39
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Create a Backup Image of the [C] partition periodically.
Create a Backup Image EFI System Partition at least once in case that ever gets corrupted.
As the EFI System Partition is so small you could also include that partition in the periodic Backup Images.
That way you always have it easily available whenever you need to restore the system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2015   #40
simrick

W7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Create a Backup Image of the [C] partition periodically.
Create a Backup Image EFI System Partition at least once in case that ever gets corrupted.
As the EFI System Partition is so small you could also include that partition in the periodic Backup Images.
That way you always have it easily available whenever you need to restore the system.
Thanks David.
I also noticed that Macrium have the option to "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows". I assume that selection would capture boot, OS and restore partitions - have I got that right? So if a computer had been upgraded to W10 from W7, or W8.1 from W8.0, that would be useless, unless you wanted to go all the way back to original configuration, correct?
Thanks so much for your help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Macrium Reflect Free making multiple images?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Mess with images,Macrium Reflect
Hello everybody. Please I need your help! I saw there are some expert "guru" here for Macrium...and I'm hoping to get your advices...(if you are going to understand my "horrible" english....) So, I had 2 different images (from 2 laptops), made from Windows 7 Imaging Utility. The images was in...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free ...I'm in :-)
Sorry, it's me again! I started my Macrium imaging experience today with the Tecra R840 laptop (Win7 Pro 64-bit). 1- After installation, I created the Rescue disc with sucess :) (I already had the 1.7 GB WAIK stored in one of my USB 3.0 external hdd, so it was done in a breeze. But...I...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect creating multiple images, not updating files
My hard drive crashed yesterday, so I tried restoring some of my files on another computer. This is the first time I've tried it, so I never realized it before, but when Macrium backs up my system, it creates about 12 image files instead of just one as I see in all the YouTube "how to" videos. In...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect (free version)
I am trying to restore a backup image of my C: partition which is on an external drive. When I use the macrium boot cd it asks me to select the image file, but does not list the external drive the image in on. My setup has two external drives H: and M: my image is on M and only H: is listed. I...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App