Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgrade Acronis TI 10 x64 > TI 2010 x64


13 Nov 2009   #1

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 
Upgrade Acronis TI 10 x64 > TI 2010 x64

When I attempt to open TI 10, Windows pops a dialog stating that this version of TI is not compatible with Windows 7. I'm been looking at the possibility of upgrading to TI 2010, but don't understand a couple of things. In a similar thread in the Acronis Forum, I have received only one response, in which I was advised to uninstall TI 10 before installing the upgrade. If that is done, then how would the upgrade know that I do have the required previous program?

Another question that should be better served on the Acronis forum...but hasn't been, is I only saw a single version available for the upgrade, but if it remains as when I bought TI 10, it was x32, and I had to obtain a link from Acronis to download a x64 version. I would like to have the program on CD, but there wouldn't be any point in paying an additional $20 for a x32 CD that I don't want.

These questions need responses for people who have actual experience that applies to them, rather than speculation based on norms. Any input?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Nov 2009   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Hi seekermeister,

To answer your first question, yes, you will need to uninstall the older version. As to the new version, I don't think you'll need to worry about providing proof of older versions, as Acronis typically does not do upgrades requiring proof of prior purchase. However, should this not be the case, it will ask you for your previous serial number. Either way you should have no issue installing the newer version.

As to your second question, I don't think Acronis makes a dedicated 64-bit version of Acronis True Image, however the versions they sell will work on either 32 or 64-bit versions. I have Acronis True Image Home 2009 and used it very successfully on Vista Ultimate x64 without issue. Haven't loaded it on Windows 7 yet, but I hear it works there as well.

Here are the system requirements for 2010

Supported operating systems
  • Windows XP SP3
  • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
  • Windows Vista SP2 (all editions)
  • Windows 7 (all editions)
If you have any doubts, you can always download the trial version Acronis True Image Home 2010
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #3

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Hmm, they must have changed their methods since TI 10, because, as I said, what I got on the CD didn't contain the x64 version, and I had to reinstall the program with a downloaded version, but if what you listed for supported OSs applies to the CD offered, then changed they have.

As to the first part, if the upgrade is complete and they don't require some kind of proof, then there wouldn't be any way to prevent a new user from buying the cheaper version to save money. I think that your suggestion to download the trial version is a good one, but even that doen't guarantee that the trial version and the upgrade version are equal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Nov 2009   #4

W8 Pro, W7 Ultimate, XP Pro x64, Vista x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Hmm, they must have changed their methods since TI 10, because, as I said, what I got on the CD didn't contain the x64 version, and I had to reinstall the program with a downloaded version, but if what you listed for supported OSs applies to the CD offered, then changed they have.

As to the first part, if the upgrade is complete and they don't require some kind of proof, then there wouldn't be any way to prevent a new user from buying the cheaper version to save money. I think that your suggestion to download the trial version is a good one, but even that doen't guarantee that the trial version and the upgrade version are equal.
I've used TI11, TI2009 and now TI2010 (on x86 and x64 systems) and have yet to see a dedicated x64 version available. I just install the download file and it has installed on both x86 and x64 versions of XP(yup, XPx64) Vista and Windows 7.

As for the upgrade, when you go to install the TI2010 upgrade, you have a choice during installation to try for 30 days or enter your key (demo and purchased install file is the same). If you choose to enter the key for the upgrade version, it will recognize it as an upgrade key and then require a key from a prior version (I've used both a TI11 key and a TI2009 key successfully as the qualifying upgrade base). If you choose 30 day trial, it will nag you each time you start TI for a key (which you can add when you want any time before the 30 days are up).

Having said that, I have had more problems with TI2010 (two builds so far) on W7x64 than I've had with either TI11 or TI2009. Main problem is it locks up the whole system sometimes during an image backup. That's odd because TI2010 is the only one "approved" for Windows 7. I tend to use it from bootable media more than as an installed program to avoid all of the schedulers and image mounting drivers running all of the time. From bootable media, TI2010 has performed well for me, even working sucessfully backing up and restoring to a network file server.

One thing I might add that could have a bearing in the event you decide to install Windows on an SSD. Acronis will restore an image to its properly aligned status (very critical for SSDs) where some of the other backup programs will not.

Since the trial version is the same as the upgrade purchase version, you might want to try it before buying it.

Hope my experience with TI helps you a little.
Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #5

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote:
Having said that, I have had more problems with TI2010 (two builds so far) on W7x64 than I've had with either TI11 or TI2009. Main problem is it locks up the whole system sometimes during an image backup. That's odd because TI2010 is the only one "approved" for Windows 7. I tend to use it from bootable media more than as an installed program to avoid all of the schedulers and image mounting drivers running all of the time. From bootable media, TI2010 has performed well for me, even working sucessfully backing up and restoring to a network file server.
Do you know just how common that this problem is? If that is the expected behavior, I may wait until they come out with a new build.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #6

W8 Pro, W7 Ultimate, XP Pro x64, Vista x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Do you know just how common that this problem is? If that is the expected behavior, I may wait until they come out with a new build.
No, I don't know how common the problem is. As I mentioned, it only happens for me sometimes.
I haven't really checked out their forums about it. I think I'll do that and if I learn anything more, I'll let you know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Do you know just how common that this problem is? If that is the expected behavior, I may wait until they come out with a new build.
Perhaps you missed this part of my message...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
If you have any doubts, you can always download the trial version Acronis True Image Home 2010
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #8

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I just installed the trial version, and it seems to be a very different animal than I'm accustomed to with TI 10. I haven't dug very deep so far, but I clicked the one click desktop icon, and it completed a backup successfully without hanging, but it isn't clear to me exactly what it did. By the name of the tib, I assume that it only imaged C: and none of my other partions. So I opened TI 2010, and it's nothing like TI 10. How does one backup another partition, other than the primary that it is installed on?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. I said that I hadn't dug very far.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I am currently using TI-11 with no problems. (Windows 7 x64 pro)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #10

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mcleod55 View Post
I am currently using TI-11 with no problems. (Windows 7 x64 pro)
That's curious, because as far as I know, TI 2010 is the only one that is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7. But I guess it doesn't really matter, because I don't think that they are selling TI 11 anymore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgrade Acronis TI 10 x64 > TI 2010 x64




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Upgrade Acronis TI 10 x64 > TI 2010 x64
Thread Forum
Acronis TI 2010 try and decide Backup and Restore
Acronis 2010 Backup and Restore
Acronis users - Upgrade to Acronis Home 2011 Backup and Restore
Acronis TI 2010/Try and Decide Backup and Restore
Acronis Backup and Security 2010 System Security
Uninstalling Acronis TI 2010 Backup and Restore
New build (6,053) of Acronis TIH 2010 available Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33