Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 backup doesnt work


13 Nov 2009   #1

windows 7 ultimate
 
 
Windows 7 backup doesnt work

i installed windows 7, and everything seemed to work fine.
installed a bunch of programs, they also all seem to work.

but then i decided to do some backups; i created the rescue cd using windows, and then cloned the hard drive also using windows 7.

but then i noticed the backup program, and decided to click on "set up backup"; nothing happens.

if i try the same from a disk drive/properties (ie click on backup there) nothing happens either.

any ideas? maybe something i installed broke this, but it seems like a pretty basic function to break like this.

thanks,

mark


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Nov 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by markg View Post
i installed windows 7, and everything seemed to work fine.
installed a bunch of programs, they also all seem to work.

but then i decided to do some backups; i created the rescue cd using windows, and then cloned the hard drive also using windows 7.

but then i noticed the backup program, and decided to click on "set up backup"; nothing happens.

if i try the same from a disk drive/properties (ie click on backup there) nothing happens either.

any ideas? maybe something i installed broke this, but it seems like a pretty basic function to break like this.

thanks,

mark
Mark one thig you can do is to check event viewer (type event viewer in search) go to the windows log>application tab. look for errors relating to vss, backup, app hang app crash. (errors have red in the left column) when you find them note the event ID and source code and let us know whata they are

Another thing you can do is to go into services.msc and make sure the vss service is running. If not set it to auto and start it.

the other option is to use a 4rd party app like acronis (which I recommend) since it doesnt use vss or anything else It will run

Hope this helps

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Nov 2009   #4

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

thanks for the guidance.

i did what you said; no errors from today (since the last reboot), but there were some from the other day.
the only app hang crashes were expected; some programs i installed that i had to make xp compatible, now they work.

vss errors: none from today, several from the last several days with two event ids 8183 and 13, both saying essentially the media is write protected

backup; no errors/no mention

also did the services.msc and found volume shadow copy service (vss?) and started it manually. then tried the backup with the same result.

i just finished installing all my software, and havent gone live with this yet, so i am concerned there might be more things broken (or some package broke something due to not being Windows 7 friendly). so im trying to sort this out.

thanks for the help; let me know if there is anything else i can check.

mark
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #5

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

thanks for this, but im not using bitlocker.

and i havent been able to even get far enough to do an external drive backup!

although i did create a system drive to the nas box using Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by markg View Post
thanks for the guidance.

i did what you said; no errors from today (since the last reboot), but there were some from the other day.
the only app hang crashes were expected; some programs i installed that i had to make xp compatible, now they work.

vss errors: none from today, several from the last several days with two event ids 8183 and 13, both saying essentially the media is write protected

backup; no errors/no mention

also did the services.msc and found volume shadow copy service (vss?) and started it manually. then tried the backup with the same result.

i just finished installing all my software, and havent gone live with this yet, so i am concerned there might be more things broken (or some package broke something due to not being Windows 7 friendly). so im trying to sort this out.

thanks for the help; let me know if there is anything else i can check.

mark
truth be told yours is the fifth user with win 7 backup problems. I used to but finally started using acronis.

let me know if you need help

Ken j
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #7

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by markg View Post
thanks for the guidance.

i did what you said; no errors from today (since the last reboot), but there were some from the other day.
the only app hang crashes were expected; some programs i installed that i had to make xp compatible, now they work.

vss errors: none from today, several from the last several days with two event ids 8183 and 13, both saying essentially the media is write protected

backup; no errors/no mention

also did the services.msc and found volume shadow copy service (vss?) and started it manually. then tried the backup with the same result.

i just finished installing all my software, and havent gone live with this yet, so i am concerned there might be more things broken (or some package broke something due to not being Windows 7 friendly). so im trying to sort this out.

thanks for the help; let me know if there is anything else i can check.

mark
truth be told yours is the fifth user with win 7 backup problems. I used to but finally started using acronis.

let me know if you need help

Ken j
im wondering if i should reinstall and check program by program to see what broke it, but i just dont want to spend the next week doing that!!!

my concern is; i installed something like an antivirus program etc. that wasnt fully compatible and broke something, maybe more than i am aware of.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #8

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

so i started playing with the system restore function, rolled it way back, and backup works!

so i started, one by one, reinstalling. found the culprit; Workshare Professional version 9700.800
it also installes quite a few other packages (c++ redistributable, net framework, etc.) but it is repeatable; i can install it, win backup breaks. uninstall, win backup works. did it 4 times

so i did another system restore, this time back to where i started. broken backup as expected.
then i deinstalled just this program, and it works! so that confirms it.

but i need this program! i'll report the interaction to them, but my experience is they wont listen...

any suggestions as to what to do with this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

The program is rubbish. It required UAC
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

The program is rubbish. It required UAC disabled on VIsta and there is no me mention of 7. Find a comparable program. Its a lazy program that requires UAC to be disabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 backup doesnt work




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 backup doesnt work
Thread Forum
prolific driver doesnt work on Windows 8 Drivers
Windows doesnt work With different IPv4 Gateway Network & Sharing
warrock doesnt work on Windows 7 Gaming
stubbs the zombie doesnt work on windows 7 Gaming
Backup doesnt start Backup and Restore
Mic doesnt work Sound & Audio
keyboard doesnt work after upgrade windows 7 Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33