Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Macrium v5 Users Opinions on Macrium v6

09 Feb 2016   #21
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
I actually switched from Macrium Reflect Pro v5 to Macrium Free v6.
I know it may seem strange switching from a Pro product to free but I've found the free version 6 offers me exactly the same as Pro v5 and more.
I've always used differential images and they're a whole lot easier to setup in v6.
For me there wasn't anything added in v6 Pro that I needed, so wasn't worth me paying for an upgrade this time around. I don't use any of the deploy features, if I'm moving to a new PC, I prefer to do a clean install anyway.
The only thing I don't have now in Free v6 is incremental backups, which I didn't use anyway. No loss there.
I've been really impressed with v6.
The main improvement in the V6 pro for me is fast delta restores. If you are restoring a recent image over an existing install it will only restore the differences resulting in vastly improved restore times. A restore of an 80GB installation to a spinner used to take 30 minutes it now takes 5. This is almost as fast as a system restore so I have now turned system restore off.
Hi Kado, I did notice the rapid delta restore feature. Definitely seems like a very good feature. I don't restore images all that often though so wasn't a feature I felt I needed. I can definitely see the benefit of it though.
I don't use system restore these days either. If something isn't working right, I just restore from the image instead. Luckily, I haven't had to do it that often.
I do weekly full and daily differentials so if I muck something up I can restore in 5 minutes with very little loss of data. I've done three of these so far with no problems. The last one was an unattended Photoshop update overnight which went wrong. The CC updater had become corrupted in it's update a few days before. Reinstalling didn't help and the Adobe forums were useless so rather than troubleshoot further I just restored to before the update and the updates went through with no problems.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Feb 2016   #22
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post

The main improvement in the V6 pro for me is fast delta restores. If you are restoring a recent image over an existing install it will only restore the differences resulting in vastly improved restore times. A restore of an 80GB installation to a spinner used to take 30 minutes it now takes 5. This is almost as fast as a system restore so I have now turned system restore off.
Hi Kado, I did notice the rapid delta restore feature. Definitely seems like a very good feature. I don't restore images all that often though so wasn't a feature I felt I needed. I can definitely see the benefit of it though.
I don't use system restore these days either. If something isn't working right, I just restore from the image instead. Luckily, I haven't had to do it that often.
I do weekly full and daily differentials so if I muck something up I can restore in 5 minutes with very little loss of data. I've done three of these so far with no problems. The last one was an unattended Photoshop update overnight which went wrong. The CC updater had become corrupted in it's update a few days before. Reinstalling didn't help and the Adobe forums were useless so rather than troubleshoot further I just restored to before the update and the updates went through with no problems.
That's a big benefit, especially with the Adobe installers being so large. Something messes up with that and it's not a simple fix if you don't have a backup. I had a similar problem a few years ago when updating Adobe Audition. I was only using Windows system imaging then but it did get me out of the mess.
I use both Windows imaging and Macrium now and my data is kept on separate drives with a different backup strategy. I use FreeFileSync with versioning on those.
Actually, that was down to your advice as I hadn't used FFS before that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2016   #23
scr

1. Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 - 64bit 2. Windows 7 Pro sp1 - 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
For me the ability to create and verify a backup image in one process is what i really liked and sold me.
Guess i was spoiled and lazy cause with Aconis i could do this.
With Macrium v5, i had to run two processes, one to create the backup, and another to verify the backup.

With V6 they offer the option to create and verify a backup in one process.

Then i learned i really like the "Add to Boot menu" option in V6.
For me that's much quicker and easier than loading from external rescue media.

And now i'm liking the differentials in V6.
I can create a differential in 1-2 minutes for something i want to "quick test".
The create and verify in one process is available in v5 Standard Edition.


Attached Thumbnails
Macrium v5 Users Opinions on Macrium v6-reflectdefault.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Feb 2016   #24
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post

Hi Kado, I did notice the rapid delta restore feature. Definitely seems like a very good feature. I don't restore images all that often though so wasn't a feature I felt I needed. I can definitely see the benefit of it though.
I don't use system restore these days either. If something isn't working right, I just restore from the image instead. Luckily, I haven't had to do it that often.
I do weekly full and daily differentials so if I muck something up I can restore in 5 minutes with very little loss of data. I've done three of these so far with no problems. The last one was an unattended Photoshop update overnight which went wrong. The CC updater had become corrupted in it's update a few days before. Reinstalling didn't help and the Adobe forums were useless so rather than troubleshoot further I just restored to before the update and the updates went through with no problems.
That's a big benefit, especially with the Adobe installers being so large. Something messes up with that and it's not a simple fix if you don't have a backup. I had a similar problem a few years ago when updating Adobe Audition. I was only using Windows system imaging then but it did get me out of the mess.
I use both Windows imaging and Macrium now and my data is kept on separate drives with a different backup strategy. I use FreeFileSync with versioning on those.
Actually, that was down to your advice as I hadn't used FFS before that.
Yes I have used FFS with versioning for 4 years now for data backups. I've only ever had one problem which the author fixed for me in the next release. It's still being developed with a new release every month, And the best thing is it is free. Just be careful of Open Candy in the installer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2016   #25
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yep you always want unopened candy that is Halloween 101
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2016   #26
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

I agree, love FFS for file backups. Especially now it also supports MTP, great for backing up the files from my Android phone with ease. The Dev always seems happy to help with issues. My firewall always blocks that opencandy junk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2016   #27
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I haven't used system restore since XP; I never could get it to work in Win 7. Macrium Reflect si so much more reliable.

I use auto-verify in V5. It doubles the time it takes to make an image but that doesn't bother me since, once started, I can just ignore it, and even use the computer, until it is done. I've rarely had an image fail to verify (the rare times it did, I just made another image) and I've never had a verified image fail to restore.

I also use FFS with versioning (and the hack for verifying) to backup my data. The only thing I image is my OS drive— all my data is on other drives—which dramatically reduces the time required to make an image and the space required to store it. I no longer bother with incremental or differential images.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2016   #28
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I haven't used system restore since XP; I never could get it to work in Win 7. Macrium Reflect si so much more reliable.

I use auto-verify in V5. It doubles the time it takes to make an image but that doesn't bother me since, once started, I can just ignore it, and even use the computer, until it is done. I've rarely had an image fail to verify (the rare times it did, I just made another image) and I've never had a verified image fail to restore.

I also use FFS with versioning (and the hack for verifying) to backup my data. The only thing I image is my OS drive— all my data is on other drives—which dramatically reduces the time required to make an image and the space required to store it. I no longer bother with incremental or differential images.
The hack for verifying FFS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2016   #29
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I haven't used system restore since XP; I never could get it to work in Win 7. Macrium Reflect si so much more reliable.

I use auto-verify in V5. It doubles the time it takes to make an image but that doesn't bother me since, once started, I can just ignore it, and even use the computer, until it is done. I've rarely had an image fail to verify (the rare times it did, I just made another image) and I've never had a verified image fail to restore.

I also use FFS with versioning (and the hack for verifying) to backup my data. The only thing I image is my OS drive— all my data is on other drives—which dramatically reduces the time required to make an image and the space required to store it. I no longer bother with incremental or differential images.
The hack for verifying FFS?

Verification Hack forFreeFileSync

1. Go to AppData inthe User folder.

2. Open the Roaming folder.

3. Open the FreeFileSync folder.

4. Click on GlobalSettings.xml

5. Look for the line VerifyCopiedFiles Enabled and change false to true.

6. Save when closing.

It may be necessary to repeat the above steps several timesto get the setting to “stick”.

Be aware this hack will double the amount of time needed torun FFS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2016   #30
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I haven't used system restore since XP; I never could get it to work in Win 7. Macrium Reflect si so much more reliable.

I use auto-verify in V5. It doubles the time it takes to make an image but that doesn't bother me since, once started, I can just ignore it, and even use the computer, until it is done. I've rarely had an image fail to verify (the rare times it did, I just made another image) and I've never had a verified image fail to restore.

I also use FFS with versioning (and the hack for verifying) to backup my data. The only thing I image is my OS drive— all my data is on other drives—which dramatically reduces the time required to make an image and the space required to store it. I no longer bother with incremental or differential images.
The hack for verifying FFS?

Verification Hack forFreeFileSync

1. Go to AppData inthe User folder.

2. Open the Roaming folder.

3. Open the FreeFileSync folder.

4. Click on GlobalSettings.xml

5. Look for the line VerifyCopiedFiles Enabled and change false to true.

6. Save when closing.

It may be necessary to repeat the above steps several timesto get the setting to “stick”.

Be aware this hack will double the amount of time needed torun FFS.
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Macrium v5 Users Opinions on Macrium v6




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Macrium Free vs Macrium Pay
I am using the free version. I have visited the site and read what the pay version does. As far as I can tell the incremental backups is really the only thing that seems worthwhile. I was just curious if anyone has tried the pay version and found a feature that made it worth paying for. Thanks,
Backup and Restore
Important for Macrium users
Macrium has issued release 5.0.4995. This looks like an important release. I have attached a PDF with all the release notes. They are now stating that the various problems with the USB3 support have been solved. What is also significant is that they recommend to burn a new WinPE recovery CD if...
Backup and Restore
Macrium users - Hirens boot CD
Macrium users may want to try Hirens boot CD 12.0. It has a Macrium Pe capability now.
Backup and Restore
Macrium
Apologies if this is an improper location for this post, I received help here before. I recently re-formatted my vista pc to WIn7. I had posted asking about an imaging program (WIn7/Macrium) and decided to go with Macrium Free, but I just noticed I don't have the option to do an "Incremental"...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Users -- Linux boot CD... Cant see Windows shares/folders
I am testing Macrium Reflect for a client and so far have had a great working incremental and full backup set going for the last 5 days. I love the ease of setup and the fact that I can do anything by editing the VBScript files. I know several of our longstanding members use Macrium, so I...
Backup and Restore
Macrium users: have you tried an image restore??
Yesterday I had a near disaster trying to upgrade to Thunderbird 3.0 email. System restore was no help and I thought I would have to restore a Macrium Reflect image. I started the process and chose my C partition as the destination for the restore. I got an error message saying the C...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App