Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cleaned My ENTIRE Hard Drive. How can I restore it?

29 Sep 2016   #11
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

You have to go to a working PC, a library perhaps, or a friend.

What are you using to talk to us now ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Sep 2016   #12
blunde

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
You have to go to a working PC, a library perhaps, or a friend.

What are you using to talk to us now ?
I'm using my Windows 10 laptop right now. So does that mean I could download the software on this laptop and connect that hard drive? I'm pretty sure it doesn't connect via usb, so I'll probably need clearance on that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2016   #13
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
You can install the hard drive in an exterior enclosure and try it on any os
Mini tool is compatible with win-10 I've used it for other operations
Cleaned My ENTIRE Hard Drive. How can I restore it?

Amazon.com: Sabrent ECS-STU35K USB 2.0 to 3.5-inch IDE/SATA or Serial ATA Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure Case (BLACK): Electronics
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Sep 2016   #14
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Why would you take out the HDD from the laptop, buy an external enclosure, put that HDD into that external enclosure and then try to recover the data?

Download the bootable CD Free version ISO from here https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Note: Download the free version and not the server edition. If your Windows 7 was 32bit, download the 32 bit version. If 64 bit, download the 64bit version.

Create a bootable pendrive with that ISO using Rufus. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ( Make sure your pendrive is empty. You should back up any data in it elsewhere before using Rufus on it.)

You can then boot your HP laptop from that pendrive and run Partition Wizard to check the HDD on your HP Laptop.

( Follow the procedure here Is there any way of saving a completely unrecognisable hard drive? to create the bootable PW pendrive. You will be using the PW ISO instead of Lucid Puppy ISO in that post. During the creation process Rufus will ask your permission to download the new vesa menu. Say yes and it will do the job.)

One Important question: Did you use diskpart Clean or diskpart cleanall. If you had used diskpart cleanall, it would have written zeros to all sectors of the HDD and your data is lost irrecoverably. The data which has been zeroed cannot be recovered by any means.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2016   #15
blunde

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Why would you take out the HDD from the laptop, buy an external enclosure, put that HDD into that external enclosure and then try to recover the data?

Download the bootable CD Free version ISO from here https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Note: Download the free version and not the server edition. If your Windows 7 was 32bit, download the 32 bit version. If 64 bit, download the 64bit version.

Create a bootable pendrive with that ISO using Rufus. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ( Make sure your pendrive is empty. You should back up any data in it elsewhere before using Rufus on it.)

You can then boot your HP laptop from that pendrive and run Partition Wizard to check the HDD on your HP Laptop.

( Follow the procedure here Is there any way of saving a completely unrecognisable hard drive? to create the bootable PW pendrive. You will be using the PW ISO instead of Lucid Puppy ISO in that post. During the creation process Rufus will ask your permission to download the new vesa menu. Say yes and it will do the job.)

One Important question: Did you use diskpart Clean or diskpart cleanall. If you had used diskpart cleanall, it would have written zeros to all sectors of the HDD and your data is lost irrecoverably. The data which has been zeroed cannot be recovered by any means.
I had used diskpart clean, not diskpart cleanall. Hopefully I'll be able to recover the data.

By the way the problem I have is with an HP Pavilion a4310f Desktop PC*, not an HP laptop, just thought I should clear this in case there is a difference.

So if I was to create a bootable pendrive of the Bootable Partition Manager using Rufus and boot from the pendrive on the PC, I will be able to use the Partition Manager software without having to take out my hard drive and connecting it to a different PC is that correct? Also, if I do this, I won't need to purchase an external enclosure right?

*This is exactly my product: HP Pavilion a4310f Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2016   #16
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

[QUOTE=blunde;3286811]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
........So if I was to create a bootable pendrive of the Bootable Partition Manager using Rufus and boot from the pendrive on the PC, I will be able to use the Partition Manager software without having to take out my hard drive and connecting it to a different PC is that correct? Also, if I do this, I won't need to purchase an external enclosure right?.......
You are right. You can use the bootable pendrive and run Partition Wizard.

Noted it is a desktop and not a laptop. It does not change the equation. Wherever it is mentioned as a laptop, you may read it as desktop .

Please note that even if Partition Recovery Wizard is able to find the partitions of interest and shows the files, you may not be able to make your HDD bootable. You may have to use bootable Lucid Puppy to copy the files on your HDD to an external HDD.That only if Partition Wizard is able to recover the partitions successfully.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2016   #17
blunde

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blunde View Post
........So if I was to create a bootable pendrive of the Bootable Partition Manager using Rufus and boot from the pendrive on the PC, I will be able to use the Partition Manager software without having to take out my hard drive and connecting it to a different PC is that correct? Also, if I do this, I won't need to purchase an external enclosure right?.......
You are right. You can use the bootable pendrive and run Partition Wizard.

Noted it is a desktop and not a laptop. It does not change the equation. Wherever it is mentioned as a laptop, you may read it as desktop .

Please note that even if Partition Recovery Wizard is able to find the partitions of interest and shows the files, you may not be able to make your HDD bootable. You may have to use bootable Lucid Puppy to copy the files on your HDD to an external HDD.That only if Partition Wizard is able to recover the partitions successfully.
Wow the Bootable Partition Manager software successfully restored my entire drive. I can see all my files are still there via the explore partition feature.

But I ran into an issue which I just want to see whether you can help fix it. After I exited the software and took out my usb, the computer booted and showed me this screen:


link to original picture: http://oi66.tinypic.com/2j5o2f4.jpg

This is normal, it shows this screen for five seconds every time I turn on the computer, then later continues to my booting device. But, it doesn't boot to my hard drive. As you said earlier that it may not be able to boot, I think this is the same issue. My computer doesn't pass this screen and a symptom is that I can't access the setup, boot menu, system recovery or diagnostics either.

I again plugged in my usb so it becomes the booting device, and it booted properly to the Minitool Partition Manager software. Upon exiting, I wanted to test if the functions displayed on the boot menu work now, and they did. I was able to access setup. So I thought there is an error with my boot disk (which is the 100 MB partition named "SYSTEM").


Here is a picture of the software with my partitions so you could understand my preceding thoughts:
Link to original picture: http://oi64.tinypic.com/2lmqheg.jpg

I went back into the Partition Manager and saw that the status of the system partition was "None" so I changed it to Active. Still, the problem remained and I went back to the program to see that the HP partition (one where all my files are on) was automatically changed to "System" from "None."

I have some knowledge about hard drives and partitions so I thought that I may need to assign a drive letter to the HP partition, which was initially labelled as the C: drive which is default in Windows. But I just want to confirm if doing this will be safe. If it won't work, I might just use Lucid Puppy to copy all my files to an external hard drive. Or maybe if there is a way I could simply fix Windows 7 or reinstall it so all my files are intact.

This issue is almost solved so it'll be great help if you could tell me. It could save me a lot of time and money.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2016   #18
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

I am glad that the bootable Partition Wizard was able restore the partitions.

As expected and told your drive is not bootable. You have done so many things in trying to make it dual boot, it is very difficult - atleast for me - to decipher what changes it would have done to the original boot records to be able to undo those changes. Merely assigning drive letters is not going to do it. May be other experts/Gurus ignatsatzonic / AddRAM / RolandJS / ThrashZone /DavidE can help you do the right corrections.

If you value your data, recovering the data is the first priority now. You are well advised to do that first using bootable Lucid Puppy.

Afterwards you can do anything to make your drive bootable. You are known to muck up things and do not do it again before you have all important data recovered and backed up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2016   #19
blunde

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Haha thanks anyways. Just to be clear, I didn't install Windows 8.1 as I originally wanted to. As soon as I saw that my hard drive was empty, I immediately closed the installer. So I don't think there should've been any differences made in the original Windows 7 boot partition. I'll wait for a couple days to see if someone could reply, other wise I've backed up my important files and I'll just reinstall Windows and all my programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2016   #20
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

I would run a Startup Repair and see if that gets Win 7 to bootup.
For this you need a Win 7 Installation media or System Repair disc.
Here is the tutorial:
Startup Repair

What I'm not sure of is if you need to assign the drive letter C to the HP partition using the bootable Partition Wizard CD for Startup Repair to work.
Perhaps someone else knows if that needs to be done for Startup Repair to work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cleaned My ENTIRE Hard Drive. How can I restore it?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I restore Win 7 with truecrypt Encryption on entire drive
I wanted to restore my laptop which I bought in 2012. It came with windows 7 64 bit and somewhere along the way I got viruses. I installed Truecrypt which is software that lets you encrypt either 1 file or the entire system. Basically I set it up so that I had to enter a password to even log...
Backup and Restore
Is it possible to create a back up of an entire hard drive will two bo
I have windows 7 and windows 8 installed on one hatd drive different partitions. I would like to make an image or some sort of back up that will restore everything to the current condition, applications files drivers. Is this possible and what is the best way to accomplish this. Thanks in advance!
Backup and Restore
An HTML5 Exploit Can Fill Your Entire Hard Drive Quick
Source Source code This exploit doesn't seem to work in Incognito mode. Can anyone else confirm?
System Security
Share entire hard drive with specific computer in workgroup
Hi all, Title says it all really. I want to share an entire hard drive (in 'PC x') with only 1 computer ('PC y') on my home network, without 'PC z' & 'Laptop q' having access to that drive. I know how to share the entire drive with everyone, but I'm stumped as to how to solve my problem. PC x,...
Network & Sharing
backup entire hard drive including partitions
i just bought a new computer running windows 7 home edition. my question is, can windows 7 make an entire image of my hard drive including (and this important) the recovery partition? If It can can anyone please tell me how. i need to have a complete backup of my hard drive in case of hard drive...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App