Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Image your system with free Macrium

13 Sep 2011   #331

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 

whs,

Based, partly, on your writeups and other reports, I'm trying out Macrium v4.2 before I spend money on v5.0. It's not working. My computer has 3 hard-drives. Each hard-drive is a single partition. I only have one OS, Windows 7/64, installed. (No multi-boot options or anything complicated.) My drives are C, for everything; D, which is a backup of C; and E, which has some old data I'm not using or backing up. I have AHCI enabled in BIOS and all 3 drives are formatted using NTFS.

I imaged C and saved it on D. I created the linux boot CD and rebooted. The Macrium restore which opened up at the reboot did NOT see any hard-drive other than C. Since my image is on D, the restore environment fails. (Yes, I tried another boot CD using the "compatibility" option. No good. It, too, only saw one hard drive.)

How can I get Macrium to find my other hard-drives when I boot off the linux boot CD?

(My goal is far loftier than just solving this issue. I have 4 machines networked at home. I would like to store the image from computer 1 on a dedicated hard-drive on, say, computer 2. That will be something I try to tackle AFTER I get Macrium working on a simple computer with 2 hard-drives.)

Thanks,
Ken

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Sep 2011   #332

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I had a similar problem before I wen't to the paid Macrium and the PE disk. I found that I found for the Linux disk to work reliably and find my backup drive you need to power off everything and leave it for 30 seconds before booting from the CD. Also, if your boot system allows it wait for 30 seconds at the boot menu to allow drives to settle.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2011   #333
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Since you have v5.2, create a BartPE bootable disk. That may work better.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea why your other drives do not show up. But the Linux recovery program has its limitations as I have seen before.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Sep 2011   #334

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
I had a similar problem before I wen't to the paid Macrium and the PE disk. I found that I found for the Linux disk to work reliably and find my backup drive you need to power off everything and leave it for 30 seconds before booting from the CD. Also, if your boot system allows it wait for 30 seconds at the boot menu to allow drives to settle.
Hmmm, I cannot see any way to delay the boot menu for 30 seconds. I did, however, totally shut down the computer, waited a few minutes, then cold-started with the bootCD already to go.

It didn't change a thing. It only saw my C drive and my 2 optical drives.

I used the same bootCD in my Vista64 computer. It worked correctly. It found my second hard-drive.

The Vista64 machine uses an Abit IP-35 pro mobo. The Windows 7 machine runs a Gigabyte ga890 gpa ud3h (rev 2.0) mobo.

The bootCD functions. The software used by Macrium v4.2 is not compatible with my hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2011   #335

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Since you have v5.2, create a BartPE bootable disk. That may work better.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea why your other drives do not show up. But the Linux recovery program has its limitations as I have seen before.
Thanks, but as I posted upstream, the BartPE option is disallowed by the Macrium wizard. (At least, I _think_ I posted it upstream.)

The freeware version of Macrium, v4.2, only gives 2 types of boot CD's: Linux or BartPE. BartPE is limited to XP or Server 2003. If you do not have XP or Server 2003, the boot CD wizard will NOT allow the BartPE option.

A boot CD should see any hard-drives I have. Grrr.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2011   #336
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I thought you had bought the v5 pro version. That is why I suggested the BartPE. It should be available. If not, SIW2 knows how to make one from scratch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2011   #337

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I thought you had bought the v5 pro version. That is why I suggested the BartPE. It should be available. If not, SIW2 knows how to make one from scratch.
The v5 pro has WinPE not BartPE. The OP has 4.2 which should have BartPE.


The alternative of course is to download Hirens CD which has the winPE in its miniXP environment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2011   #338

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I thought you had bought the v5 pro version. That is why I suggested the BartPE. It should be available. If not, SIW2 knows how to make one from scratch.
The v5 pro has WinPE not BartPE. The OP has 4.2 which should have BartPE.


The alternative of course is to download Hirens CD which has the winPE in its miniXP environment.
You're correct. v4.2 has BartPE which is inoperable in Macrium's wizard unless you're using XP or Server 2003. I am using Windows 7/64. Macrium v4.2 therefore limits me to their linux boot CD which does not work with hardware which came out about a year ago...or more.

I don't want to pay for v5.0 only to find out WinPE may not work either. (If Macrium assumes linux boot CD will work and they're wrong, what's to support their assumption that WinPE would work?)

What is meant by your alternative statement? How would I use WinPE in a miniXP environment?

Heck, all I want to do is have a consistently updated, reliable backup image of my hard-drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2011   #339

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iamc3k View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I thought you had bought the v5 pro version. That is why I suggested the BartPE. It should be available. If not, SIW2 knows how to make one from scratch.
The v5 pro has WinPE not BartPE. The OP has 4.2 which should have BartPE.


The alternative of course is to download Hirens CD which has the winPE in its miniXP environment.
You're correct. v4.2 has BartPE which is inoperable in Macrium's wizard unless you're using XP or Server 2003. I am using Windows 7/64. Macrium v4.2 therefore limits me to their linux boot CD which does not work with hardware which came out about a year ago...or more.

I don't want to pay for v5.0 only to find out WinPE may not work either. (If Macrium assumes linux boot CD will work and they're wrong, what's to support their assumption that WinPE would work?)

What is meant by your alternative statement? How would I use WinPE in a miniXP environment?

Heck, all I want to do is have a consistently updated, reliable backup image of my hard-drive.
Hirens boot CD has a mini windows XP environment with a lot of tools in it one of which is Macrium Backup. Hiren's BootCD 14.1 - All in one Bootable CD www.hiren.info
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2011   #340
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Here is the Hirens download link for v14.1
Download Hiren
I have use the Macrium component (under the backup subsection of tools) to both image and restore a full (x64) Windows 7 system. Obviously works on (x32) as well.

Slight aside
If you had only 2 DVD/CDs in your toolkit in my opinion they would be
1) Windows System Repair disk
2) Hirens Boot disk

I do have others but Hirens covers most of them!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Image your system with free Macrium





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Image your system with free Macrium
Thread Forum
Imaging with free Macrium Tutorials
Solved Macrium Reflect Free ...I'm in :-) Backup and Restore
Solved Tie In Between Macrium Boot Disk And System Image Backup and Restore
Macrium free 5 couldn't create image Backup and Restore
Macrium Free question? Backup and Restore
Solved Macrium free backup won't end Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33