Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Image your system with free Macrium

07 Mar 2012   #541

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

Both appear to be stable I have used both although I have not restored with 5. I 4 you can verify your image when made. In 5 you can only verify after restore (unless I don't know how to do it). In 4 you have to do a linux recovery disk, in 5 you can do a linux recovery or can do a win PE disk(if you download WAIK in the free version) and without WAIK in the paid version. 5 has a clone feature. As best I can recall those are the major differences.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Mar 2012   #542
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Get V5 - it is easier to use. And if you burn the WinPE CD, you cannot only use that to recover from an image but also use it to make images (on systems where you do not want to install Macrium).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Mar 2012   #543

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Thanks guys, v5 it is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Mar 2012   #544

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Get V5 - it is easier to use. And if you burn the WinPE CD, you cannot only use that to recover from an image but also use it to make images (on systems where you do not want to install Macrium).
+I've never tried it, but can't you do that in V4 under the Linux recovery?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Mar 2012   #545
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Get V5 - it is easier to use. And if you burn the WinPE CD, you cannot only use that to recover from an image but also use it to make images (on systems where you do not want to install Macrium).
+I've never tried it, but can't you do that in V4 under the Linux recovery?
The V4.2 Linux CD is only a recovery wizard. I do not have a V5 Linux CD right now (it is in Germany). So I cannot try it. But I do not remember seeing an imaging option - although I may be wrong.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Mar 2012   #546

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

I had thought there was an imaging option but, I may be wrong. I haven't had to use it in quite a while, thank goodness.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #547

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I have been using v5 since it was launched with no problems. There have been issues with some setups but these are quickly fixed. I would go with v5.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #548

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Get V5 - it is easier to use. And if you burn the WinPE CD, you cannot only use that to recover from an image but also use it to make images (on systems where you do not want to install Macrium).
+I've never tried it, but can't you do that in V4 under the Linux recovery?
The V4.2 Linux CD is only a recovery wizard. I do not have a V5 Linux CD right now (it is in Germany). So I cannot try it. But I do not remember seeing an imaging option - although I may be wrong.
The Linux disk is very basic and only has recovery options. It also sometimes has difficulty recognizing some disks. Use the PE version. It involves a 1.7GB download of the WAIK but is well worth it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #549

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I found another imaging program called Paragon, how does that compare with Macrium? Which one is more intuitive and easier to use?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #550

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

It has more features than Macrium free and I tried it out last year. I think I dropped it because the rescue disk couldn't find my backup drive. That may have changed now so it may be worth a try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Image your system with free Macrium




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Image your system with free Macrium
Thread Forum
Imaging with free Macrium Tutorials
Solved Macrium Reflect Free ...I'm in :-) Backup and Restore
Solved Tie In Between Macrium Boot Disk And System Image Backup and Restore
Macrium free 5 couldn't create image Backup and Restore
Macrium Free question? Backup and Restore
Solved Macrium free backup won't end Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33