Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Windows 7 System restore problem no restore points

24 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Windows 7 System restore problem no restore points

I have seen numerous people are having this problem but I have not been able to find a solution that works for me. I figured I would post my own problem and maybe somebody could recommend a solution.

I have been trying to use Windows System Restore on Windows 7 Home Premium. I have created several restore points on my own but when I restart and run the program, it says I have no restore points available. I have 40 gb allocated for restore points and have used less than 10 percent of my hard drive space.

does anybody know of any good process to follow that will fix this issue and make System Restore usable.

Thanks a lot.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Dec 2009   #2
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Have you tried ticking show more restore points?


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cjacktenenbaum View Post
I have seen numerous people are having this problem but I have not been able to find a solution that works for me. I figured I would post my own problem and maybe somebody could recommend a solution.

I have been trying to use Windows System Restore on Windows 7 Home Premium. I have created several restore points on my own but when I restart and run the program, it says I have no restore points available. I have 40 gb allocated for restore points and have used less than 10 percent of my hard drive space.

does anybody know of any good process to follow that will fix this issue and make System Restore usable.

Thanks a lot.
Go to computer icon, then check how much space is actually available to make restrore points. That drive is also for system image and back up and restore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Dec 2009   #4
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Hi, Welcome to SF,

You could try few steps

1) Type Services in Start Menu Search Box, hit Enter. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is Running and set on Automatic. If the Status of System Restore Service is not Started, Start it. Also set it on Automatic if it is not. A reboot may be required. Reconfirm again, and now try.

2) Type eventvwr.msc /s in Start Menu Search Box & hit Enter to open the Event Viewer. Double-click on Applications & Services Logs and see if you are able to evaluate the event description or the cause of problem.

3) Reset the Repository.
Boot into Safe Mode without networking and open a command prompt as administrator.
Now Type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter. This will stop the Windows Management Instrumentation Service
Next go to C:\Windows\System32\wbem and rename the repository folder to repositoryold
Restart.
Now again open a command prompt as administrator, type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter.
Next Type winmgmt /resetRepository and hit Enter.
Restart.
Now see if you can create a System Restore Point manually.

Hope some of this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #5

Win7 & WinXP
 
 

If you've got a dual boot system with an earlier version of windows
(Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003) then each time you start the computer by using the earlier operating system, all the restore points that were created in Windows 7 are deleted. In this case try this:
System Restore Points - Stop XP Dual Boot Delete
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
Hi, Welcome to SF,

You could try few steps

1) Type Services in Start Menu Search Box, hit Enter. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is Running and set on Automatic. If the Status of System Restore Service is not Started, Start it. Also set it on Automatic if it is not. A reboot may be required. Reconfirm again, and now try.

2) Type eventvwr.msc /s in Start Menu Search Box & hit Enter to open the Event Viewer. Double-click on Applications & Services Logs and see if you are able to evaluate the event description or the cause of problem.

3) Reset the Repository.
Boot into Safe Mode without networking and open a command prompt as administrator.
Now Type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter. This will stop the Windows Management Instrumentation Service
Next go to C:\Windows\System32\wbem and rename the repository folder to repositoryold
Restart.
Now again open a command prompt as administrator, type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter.
Next Type winmgmt /resetRepository and hit Enter.
Restart.
Now see if you can create a System Restore Point manually.

Hope some of this helps.
Ran through these steps. restarted in normal mode and created a restore point. Disk usage showed the creation was successful. restarted the computer and checked the restore points. The point was gone and the disk usage was zero again. I am not dual booting so I dont know that that is the problem

Any suggestions? thanks for the help from everyone on this
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #7
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cjacktenenbaum View Post
Ran through these steps. restarted in normal mode and created a restore point. Disk usage showed the creation was successful. restarted the computer and checked the restore points. The point was gone and the disk usage was zero again. I am not dual booting so I dont know that that is the problem

Any suggestions? thanks for the help from everyone on this
Anything specific in Event viewer ??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cjacktenenbaum View Post
Ran through these steps. restarted in normal mode and created a restore point. Disk usage showed the creation was successful. restarted the computer and checked the restore points. The point was gone and the disk usage was zero again. I am not dual booting so I dont know that that is the problem

Any suggestions? thanks for the help from everyone on this
Anything specific in Event viewer ??

The only thing I saw in the event viewer that appeared to be related was "Microsoft Windows Recovery/Operational
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cjacktenenbaum View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cjacktenenbaum View Post
Ran through these steps. restarted in normal mode and created a restore point. Disk usage showed the creation was successful. restarted the computer and checked the restore points. The point was gone and the disk usage was zero again. I am not dual booting so I dont know that that is the problem

Any suggestions? thanks for the help from everyone on this
Anything specific in Event viewer ??

The only thing I saw in the event viewer that appeared to be related was "Microsoft Windows Recovery/Operational
you know we are all guessing at this point. Are all drives formatted NTFS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #10
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

You can try go to Command Prompt and Run sfc /scannow

Start > cmd > Right click cmd and Run as administrator then try sfc /scannow
It will help in repairing corrupt system files
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 System restore problem no restore points





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33