Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Backup Error 0x8078011D

04 Feb 2010   #1
TimSuds

Windows 7 Professional - 32 bit
 
 
Windows Backup Error 0x8078011D

I am getting the following error when attempting to make an image backup on one of my computers.

It doesn't matter if I select a USB drive or a network drive as the destination.

Also, the source and the destination drives are ntfs so I am not sure why I am getting this error.

I can backup other computers on my network to these same devices, but for some reason this one results in this error.

The backup failed
One of the volumes specified for backup is invalid because it is either not on a fixed drive, is not formatted ntfs or is read only. To convert the file system on a volume from fat32 to ntfs ...........



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Feb 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TimSuds View Post
I am getting the following error when attempting to make an image backup on one of my computers.

It doesn't matter if I select a USB drive or a network drive as the destination.

Also, the source and the destination drives are ntfs so I am not sure why I am getting this error.

I can backup other computers on my network to these same devices, but for some reason this one results in this error.

The backup failed
One of the volumes specified for backup is invalid because it is either not on a fixed drive, is not formatted ntfs or is read only. To convert the file system on a volume from fat32 to ntfs ...........
Hi Tim

One thought that i have is in both cases (USB or network) they are external and win 7 uses IO to move data to them differently. this might be as simple as a corrupt "dll" file in win 7. What I would suggest is to run a system file check. SFC verifies and repairs system files

To run type cmd in search>right click and run as admin>sfc /scannow

Let us know if that helps

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #3
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Are you sure your version of Windows 7 supports imaging to a network or USB drive? Does it fail if the destination is a local HD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Feb 2010   #4
TimSuds

Windows 7 Professional - 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TimSuds View Post
I am getting the following error when attempting to make an image backup on one of my computers.

It doesn't matter if I select a USB drive or a network drive as the destination.

Also, the source and the destination drives are ntfs so I am not sure why I am getting this error.

I can backup other computers on my network to these same devices, but for some reason this one results in this error.

The backup failed
One of the volumes specified for backup is invalid because it is either not on a fixed drive, is not formatted ntfs or is read only. To convert the file system on a volume from fat32 to ntfs ...........
Hi Tim

One thought that i have is in both cases (USB or network) they are external and win 7 uses IO to move data to them differently. this might be as simple as a corrupt "dll" file in win 7. What I would suggest is to run a system file check. SFC verifies and repairs system files

To run type cmd in search>right click and run as admin>sfc /scannow

Let us know if that helps

Ken
I ran this utility and it did not find any problems.

If it helps, the only thing unique about this computer vs all the other ones that work fine is I didn't actually install Windows 7 on it.

I purchased two identical computers, so I configured one to my liking then made an Acronis image of it and restored it to this one.

Could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2010   #5
TimSuds

Windows 7 Professional - 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Are you sure your version of Windows 7 supports imaging to a network or USB drive? Does it fail if the destination is a local HD?
Computer is running Windows 7 Professional - 32 bit.

It generates this error no matter what backup destination I choose.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2010   #6
Chaldon

WIN7p
 
 
1 year later and I STILL find that nobody online has a solution

I had the same problem after I removed from the backup list a library I deleted a month ago because I renamed the drive. The backup kept giving me a missing file & unfinished message but worked fine. Not it fails right away for both it and the System Restore.

My rant:

Don't bother with this program. The pre-installed Windows 7 Backup and Restore is finicky and WAY too much trouble. Nobody online can figure out a solution for this and the public outcry level isn't high enough to warrant action by Microsoft. I removed a deleted library from the backup process and became one of those in the "Backup Failed" category. I'm fairly tech savvy and I tried to combat this issue out-of-the-box on my dads brand new HP last January. Tech support obviously didn't understand that the issue may be with their program. They also gave the obvious "do a checkdisk" and the "it's your computer" routine. My backup has worked fine since then & now, 10 months later, backup fails and no solution online- only it's MY computer this time and I'm pissed.



For some people: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. My advise? If it fails- go online and find a replacement product. Don't waste your time trying to fix it.



I'm hunting for a new backup software as I found this thread. I might even pay money for it if it looks good after a short trial period.


It's sad. Not only is love lost with Microsoft & I've supported them as a franchise over the years but they are losing money on software they should have written properly. Seriously. How hard is it for a program to copy a set of files to a different hard drive once a week?

the parameter is incorrect, 0x80070057, shadow copy could not be created, System Image 0x0787011D, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, Windows Backup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #7
OldGrayMare

Windows Ultimate 64 bit verison
 
 

For what its worth I have the same problem (Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit) - would love recommendations on alternate programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Backup Error 0x8078011D




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Backup error 0x80070002
Hi, Im not sure where to post this but here it goes. Every time I try to backup my files to my external HDD using W7 backup utility, I keep getting this error: Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\School. Error: (The system cannot find...
Backup and Restore
windows 7 backup error
during my first/latest backup, I got this error: 0x8100002F (see attached details). I did research on microsoft knowledge base, but couldn't find a matching description for the first 11-errors (having to do with user: administrator); and couldn't understand the resolution for the last error...
Backup and Restore
Windows 7 Backup Error
Does anyone know what would cause the following backup error? The backup was not successful. The error is: Windows Backup encountered a problem while determining additional locations of one of the users included in backup. (0x81000038).
Backup and Restore
windows 7 backup error 0x81000037
windows 7 backup error 0x81000037
Backup and Restore
Unable to use windows backup. VSS error?
Hi all! My first post here! :D Anyways, I'd like to ask about my windows backup. Everytime I've tried to create a restore point, I keep getting a windows saying "An error was detected in the VSS". The error number that keeps coming up is 0x80042318. I've checked that VSSVC.EXE is running in task...
Backup and Restore
Windows Backup Error
I keep getting these Event Logs in Event Viewer Warning Source volsnap Event ID 24 There was insufficient disk space on volume D: to grow the shadow copy storage for shadow copies of D:. As a result of this failure all shadow copies of volume D: are at risk of being deleted. Error Source...
Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App