Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Backup error 0x80070002

04 Mar 2010   #1
ThumperSD

Windows 7
 
 
Windows 7 Backup error 0x80070002

Hi, Im not sure where to post this but here it goes.

Every time I try to backup my files to my external HDD using W7 backup utility, I keep getting this error:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\School. Error: (The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

This "School" folder was never located here in the first place. It is located in C:/Users/David/School. How can I make W7 backup to stop thinking that that folder exists?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Mar 2010   #2
wallyinnc

Windows 7 x64 finally!
 
 

Thumper, I don't know the cause, but have you tried to erase previous backups and backup everything again?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2010   #3
ThumperSD

Windows 7
 
 

No I haven't. The reason is because it takes FOREVER to backup everything all over again... Honestly it is not a big problem to me and it's not worth it to erase it and backing everything over again to fix it. It is a very small problem and it took me backing up at least 5 times before even addressing this problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Mar 2010   #4
ThumperSD

Windows 7
 
 

Anybody else having this problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2010   #5
JohnPC

Triple Boot - Win 7 x64 Ultimate x2 + WinXP-mce x1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThumperSD View Post
Hi, Im not sure where to post this but here it goes.

Every time I try to backup my files to my external HDD using W7 backup utility, I keep getting this error:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\School. Error: (The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

This "School" folder was never located here in the first place. It is located in C:/Users/David/School. How can I make W7 backup to stop thinking that that folder exists?

I have only managed to successfully use Windows Backup after a clean install, before making any changes at all. Once I install programs, etc, I have gotten a number of errors similar to the ones you describe preventing me from using this feature.

After researching it at length, I found that most people pointed to the secondary partition Win7 creates during installation. It's a 100 MB partition which is marked as "System Reserved". Once the free space on this is less than 70 MB, errors begin to occur. My solution was to revert to a third party backup utility (Paragon) which has it's own proprietary "Hot-Swap" technology. The nice thing about using it is that one can use it with or without having to load into the OS. It's up to how you want to run it.

I'm experimenting now with forcing a WIn7 install on a predefined partition, making it unable to create this secondary partition. It's that little pesky 100 MB that seems to have given users so many headaches...

PS. I used to use Ghost 10... but I doubt it works on Win 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #6
wguru

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

I thinking this's probably why a lot of users report the Windows 7 backup utility stalls at formatting DVD's, hense the workaround of manually formatting the DVD's before using W7's backup utility to burn.

Why new DVD's, -R and moreover even -RW's, 'need' to be formatted, is beyond me. It's not like DVD/CD's aren't NTSC (and 'are' FAT32), but whatever works, is the point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #7
ThumperSD

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnPC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThumperSD View Post
Hi, Im not sure where to post this but here it goes.

Every time I try to backup my files to my external HDD using W7 backup utility, I keep getting this error:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\School. Error: (The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

This "School" folder was never located here in the first place. It is located in C:/Users/David/School. How can I make W7 backup to stop thinking that that folder exists?

I have only managed to successfully use Windows Backup after a clean install, before making any changes at all. Once I install programs, etc, I have gotten a number of errors similar to the ones you describe preventing me from using this feature.

After researching it at length, I found that most people pointed to the secondary partition Win7 creates during installation. It's a 100 MB partition which is marked as "System Reserved". Once the free space on this is less than 70 MB, errors begin to occur. My solution was to revert to a third party backup utility (Paragon) which has it's own proprietary "Hot-Swap" technology. The nice thing about using it is that one can use it with or without having to load into the OS. It's up to how you want to run it.

I'm experimenting now with forcing a WIn7 install on a predefined partition, making it unable to create this secondary partition. It's that little pesky 100 MB that seems to have given users so many headaches...

PS. I used to use Ghost 10... but I doubt it works on Win 7.
So in short you are suggesting to use a third party software for backup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #8
JohnPC

Triple Boot - Win 7 x64 Ultimate x2 + WinXP-mce x1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThumperSD View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnPC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThumperSD View Post
Hi, Im not sure where to post this but here it goes.

Every time I try to backup my files to my external HDD using W7 backup utility, I keep getting this error:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\School. Error: (The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

This "School" folder was never located here in the first place. It is located in C:/Users/David/School. How can I make W7 backup to stop thinking that that folder exists?

I have only managed to successfully use Windows Backup after a clean install, before making any changes at all. Once I install programs, etc, I have gotten a number of errors similar to the ones you describe preventing me from using this feature.

After researching it at length, I found that most people pointed to the secondary partition Win7 creates during installation. It's a 100 MB partition which is marked as "System Reserved". Once the free space on this is less than 70 MB, errors begin to occur. My solution was to revert to a third party backup utility (Paragon) which has it's own proprietary "Hot-Swap" technology. The nice thing about using it is that one can use it with or without having to load into the OS. It's up to how you want to run it.

I'm experimenting now with forcing a WIn7 install on a predefined partition, making it unable to create this secondary partition. It's that little pesky 100 MB that seems to have given users so many headaches...

PS. I used to use Ghost 10... but I doubt it works on Win 7.
So in short you are suggesting to use a third party software for backup?
LOL... yea...
It's ironic that I wrote that because this morning when I logged into my email, I had a link for my highly anticipated Paragon Disk Manager 2010 free upgrade. It's pretty nice...
If you have the time, the Paragon tech folks where the ones who suggested doing a reinstall on a single pre-partitioned drive, as mentioned above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #9
wguru

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Obviously, or is it obliviously, MS has to have become aware of such a rudimenatry bug and it should have been fixed before W7 was even marketed, so does anyone know Bill's cell phone number? I want my money back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2010   #10
ThumperSD

Windows 7
 
 

I am assuming that the error is from backing up my files and not system image

Should I continue to let W7 make backups of the system image and use a 3rd party software (i am using SyncBack) to back up my files? I dont think Syncback backs up the system image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Backup error 0x80070002




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unable to Complete Backup - Error 0x80070002
When attempting to backup a system image and/or selected libraries or files on an OEM installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, I am receiving an error message. The initial pop-up states: The Last Backup Did Not Complete Successfully When I click on the pop-up to check the backup and...
Backup and Restore
Windows backup fails with error 0x80070002
Hi, Recently I installed a fresh copy of win7 x64. All ServicePacks and updates Applied. Scheduled Windows Backup kept failing with error 0x80070002 (The specified file was not found) and nothing helped (tried numerous things) until I found someone saying that putting a drive letter on the...
Backup and Restore
Error 0x80070002 when attempting to backup files
Hi guys, I've been trying to backup my system data partition for a while now and am always getting the same error as result: "The system cannot fin the file specified" Error code: 0x80070002. I looked up online and it seems like this Error code 0x8100002F and or error code 0x80070002...
Backup and Restore
Backup skip file error: code 0x80070002 and 0x8100002F
Windows7 backup process shows the error codes for the files and the directory deleted already. 1. The error.log files says "Target files are not found for c:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Audio Books" error code (0x80070002). And 0x810002F in the "show detail" option on the error small...
Backup and Restore
Backup - Error 0x80070002
Greetings, I currently have a dual-OS set up on my desktop. On my primary drive, I have Super OS 9.10 (a variation on Ubuntu Linux 9.10), and on the slave, I have Windows 7 Professional. I installed Windows 7 first with that physical drive being the only drive in the computer, so it's...
Backup and Restore
Windows Backup Error 0x80070002 at end of wizard.
So I tried creating a backup. I can launch the backup wizard, select the drive I want to save the backup on, then I select "Let Windows decide" (I also tried selecting let me choose and selecting different folders, no difference), after that I get the "overview" but when I click on "Save settings...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App