|12 May 2010||#11|
| || |
1. Shrink 2GBs from C and define a simple volume (partition) - let's call it Y
2. Move some files (any files) into Y - I always also move the sample picture folder in (you'll see why)
3. Define a test folder on your external backup disk - call it Mtest
4. Make an image of Y to Mtest - requires that you make a new definition
5. Delete a couple of pictures from the sample picture folder on Y (I always use the 2 animals)
6. Reboot and tap (ESC or F2 or whatever it is on your system) to get into the BIOS boot sequence
7. Set your boot sequence to CD/DVD reader
8. Throw in the Macrium recovery CD and let it run, then hit Enter
9. Now you are in the recovery wizard, set it to Mtest where it says "Locate Image" and to Y where it says "Choose partition to overwrite with the image data". Note: the partition letters may not be the same as on your system. Macrium uses its own lettering. Best is to go by the size of the partitions and open it with the little + in the front.
10. Watch out when it asks whether to replace the Master Boot Record - in this case say "do not replace" because this is only a data partition. If that were your system partition, you would replace the MBR provided you do not have a seperate boot partition.
11. When you get the little window saying "Your computer will now reboot", you have to hit "Cancel" (on the bottom" to get it to reboot. That's a little strange way to end the session, but that's the way it is.
12. Check whether the 2 animals in the sample picture folder are back. That shows you that the recovery worked.
When you have done these steps, you did the whole cycle and have learned
1. That your recovery disk works
2. How to recover
3. That things work
Now you can delete the little 2GB partition and add it back to it's originating partition.
Here is a supporting tutorial in case you are not familiar with the ways to create a partition: Data Partition
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Macrium Restore|
|Macrium restore problem||Backup and Restore|
|Macrium Reflect v5 restore||Backup and Restore|
|Macrium restore question||Backup and Restore|
|Restore under Free Macrium - To a different HDD?||Backup and Restore|
|Need to restore an image using macrium - help pls||Backup and Restore|
|Macrium Reflect - How do you restore||Backup and Restore|
|Macrium image restore||Backup and Restore|