A little background for those who wondering what is Direct2D and DirectWrite Hardware Acceleration Direct2D
Direct2Dis a hardware-accelerated, immediate-mode, 2-D graphics API that provides high performance and high-quality rendering for 2-D geometry, bitmaps, and text. The Direct2D API is designed to interoperate well with GDI, GDI+, and Direct3D. DirectWrite Hardware Acceleration
Today's applications must support high-quality text rendering, resolution-independent outline fonts, and full Unicode text and layout support. DirectWrite, a new DirectX API, provides these features and more:
- A device-independent text layout system that improves text readability in documents and in UI.
- High-quality, sub-pixel, ClearType text rendering that can use GDI, Direct2D, or application-specific rendering technology.
- Hardware-accelerated text, when used with Direct2D.
- Support for multi-format text.
- Support for the advanced typography features of OpenType fonts.
- Support for the layout and rendering of text in all supported languages.
- GDI-compatible layout and rendering.
Here is how: 1.
- This will only work with Firefox 4 Beta and later
- Some Add-ons may interfere with proper operation when they call a certain API prematurely. I had problems with ABP add-ons managed to find a link for developers build https://adblockplus.org/devbuilds/adblockplus/
- Your Video Drivers should be updated to the latest version.
If you're not using Firefox 4 Beta download it from here. Firefox 4 Beta 2.
On the Address bar type in about:config
then click on "I'll be careful. I promise!" 3.
Under Filter type in "gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled
" without Quotes and double click on it to change the value from False to True 4.
Then under Filter type in "mozilla.widget.render-mode
" without Quotes and double click on it change the value from -1 to 6 5.
Now restart your browser to take effect
Hope this helps,