Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 64-Bit Browsers other than IE


19 Sep 2010   #1

Windows 7 Professional (x64/SP1) /Linux Mint 16
 
 
64-Bit Browsers other than IE

Hi,

am looking for a 64-browser other than IE. Am new to here so sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. Any idea's? I do know flash on 64-bit browsers is now available that is why I would like an alternative to IE.


Thanks

Adobe Labs - Downloads: Flash Player "Square" Preview Release
(Flash for 64-bit)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Sep 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

One of the fastest is Google Chrome.
http://www.google.com/chrome
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
I don't think Chrome is x64 yet. Apart from the IE9 x64 Beta, the only one I know of is Firefox. You can find the nightly builds for the x64 version of Firefox 4 here:
Firefox Nightly Builds
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Sep 2010   #4

Windows 7 Professional (x64/SP1) /Linux Mint 16
 
 

I have Google Chrome but is it 64-bit native like IE. Am sure its not, 64-bit native browsers render images and text faster.

Thanks though

Ah thank you Klaw, just what am after
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2010   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Prof Kerfuffle View Post
Hi,
I have Google Chrome but is it 64-bit native like IE. Am sure its not, 64-bit native browsers render images and text faster.

Thanks though

Ah thank you Klaw, just what am after
(Flash for 64-bit)
Chrome is a 32-bit browser
Firefox x64 trunk builds: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or.../latest-trunk/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Currently you really only have a couple of choices if you want x64 browsers to use as your primary browser:

Internet Explorer (8 or 9) or Minefield (Firefox) x64 with Adobe Flash player square (x64 Flash for windows). The nightly Minefield build as posted by Klaw117 previously (ver: 4.0b7pre) is very stable and with flash player square it gives you a full web experience including flash content.

I am personally using the Minefield/Flashplayer square combination. It has given me no problems so far although I do keep an x86 version installed also, just in case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bits SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobtran View Post
Currently you really only have a couple of choices if you want x64 browsers to use as your primary browser:

Internet Explorer (8 or 9) or Minefield (Firefox) x64 with Adobe Flash player square (x64 Flash for windows). The nightly Minefield build as posted by Klaw117 previously (ver: 4.0b7pre) is very stable and with flash player square it gives you a full web experience including flash content.

I am personally using the Minefield/Flashplayer square combination. It has given me no problems so far although I do keep an x86 version installed also, just in case.
Running Minefield and "Flash Square" without any noticible problems; yet!

But I have a question. Minefield and 3.6.10 are installed in two different directories.

The desktop icons point to the correct directory. But when I go to Help>About, it shows that I am running Minefield 4.0.b7pre regardless of which version I select to run. Even when I start the browsers by clicking on their corresponding Firefox.exe in their individual directories.

Also compared both .exe and they are different.

Do I need to do edit/configure or modify the profiles or something?

Name:  FF_Exe.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  24.1 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2010   #8

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobtran View Post
...

I am personally using the Minefield/Flashplayer square combination. It has given me no problems so far although I do keep an x86 version installed also, just in case.
Do the AddOns work or is that a dumb question? The last time I did any browser programming was Netscape and it used 32 bit dll plugins. I suspect FF AddOns may be scripted so they may work without regrard to bitness? Or is that a pipe dream?

edit: nevermind. Just tried it. May be a bit snappier than 32 bit but still sluggish getting off the disk. I loved FF but after awhile I just got tired of AddOns taking me to their web site every time they update. Chrome I have to look at the about box to see what version it is. The silent updates are much smoother.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2010   #9

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Do either the x64 IE or FF browsers have content blocking? Once one becomes aware of all the surveys, scorecsrdsearch and misc. counters out there even on trusted sites like Cnet...



...it becomes more important what you are stepping in than how fast you're stepping in it.

~Maxx~
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2010   #10

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
Do either the x64 IE or FF browsers have content blocking? Once one becomes aware of all the surveys, scorecsrdsearch and misc. counters out there even on trusted sites like Cnet...



...it becomes more important what you are stepping in than how fast you're stepping in it.

~Maxx~
.
Use Adblock plus addon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 64-Bit Browsers other than IE




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 64-Bit Browsers other than IE
Thread Forum
Browsers Gone Mad! Browsers & Mail
64-bit Browsers Browsers & Mail
browsers bog down Browsers & Mail
64-bit browsers? Browsers & Mail
Bad Browsers Browsers & Mail

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33