Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Small and Large Desktop Icons - Why?


03 Oct 2010   #1

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 
Small and Large Desktop Icons - Why?

I don't understand why it is when I create an internet shortcut on a Windows 7 desktop, most of the icons are "miniature", where as some of them are full size on the desktop. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which shortcut will be small and which will be full size.

Please see the attached screenshot. The site "Brass Goggles" is full size and "seven forums" is miniature.

On XP, these same sites were all full size. I have no idea what is causing this erratic behavior. Any ideas?

Bob

PS Is this the correct place to address this questions? (This is my first post here).



Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Oct 2010   #2

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bob3d View Post
...Please see the attached screenshot. The site "Brass Goggles" is full size and "seven forums" is miniature...
They look the same size to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2010   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

I agree with roncerr ... they do look the same size. I'm basing this on the size of the shortcut arrows in the lower left corner of each icon. In case you're not aware of it, you do have some control over the icons.

If your mouse has a scroll wheel, place your cursor on an empty section of the desktop, hold down CTRL, then scroll the mouse wheel to change icon size. (NOTE: If you make the icons too large they might change location on the desktop to conform to a new grid.)

Also:
1. By default, the icons on the desktop are a little large
2. Right click on an open area of the desktop
3. Select View
4. Select Small Icons (or medium or large)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Oct 2010   #4

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 
Website icon size and presentation differences between XP and Win 7

I am well aware of how to change all icon sizes, but thanks for answering. Also, you'll notice that I altered the Windows 7 shortcut arrow to be the same arrow as is used by XP.

Perhaps I did not explain it good enough. I have attached two partial screenshots of the same icon pair on an XP machine and on a Windows 7 machine below. Notice that the website specific icon for Seven Forums is much smaller and contained within a white notepad-ish "wrapper" whereas, the Brass Goggles website icon is full size and not contained in a "wrapper". (Please ignore the icon spacing and text placement & size).

Why, this seemingly random behavior?

Thanks.

Bob

PS Note that Windows 7 desktop icons are on the left and XP desktop icons are on the right. What is causing me problems is in the left screenshot the "seven forums" website icon is encapsulated within a a white folder looking thing, making the desktop website icon hard for my old eyes to see. In XP, I can clearly see the shape and colors of the desktop website icon easy for me to see.

It's difficult growing old. I don't recommend it.


Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2010   #5

Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit), Win 8.1.1 (64-bit)
 
 

I can't seem to duplicate what you're seeing but I would guess that it has something to do with the transparency of the icon's background.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2010   #6

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 
Clarification made in post #4

I clarified my last post.

Bob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2010   #7

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

I've noticed my internet shortcut icons often change completely. Sometimes generic, sometimes one or another custom version chosen by the website. But if you want to try something, you could network the computers and drag the icon you prefer to both desktops.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bob3d View Post
I am well aware of how to change all icon sizes, but thanks for answering. Also, you'll notice that I altered the Windows 7 shortcut arrow to be the same arrow as is used by XP.

Perhaps I did not explain it good enough. I have attached two partial screenshots of the same icon pair on an XP machine and on a Windows 7 machine below. Notice that the website specific icon for Seven Forums is much smaller and contained within a white notepad-ish "wrapper" whereas, the Brass Goggles website icon is full size and not contained in a "wrapper". (Please ignore the icon spacing and text placement & size).

Why, this seemingly random behavior?

Thanks.

Bob

PS Note that Windows 7 desktop icons are on the left and XP desktop icons are on the right. What is causing me problems is in the left screenshot the "seven forums" website icon is encapsulated within a a white folder looking thing, making the desktop website icon hard for my old eyes to see. In XP, I can clearly see the shape and colors of the desktop website icon easy for me to see.

It's difficult growing old. I don't recommend it.
The icons placed on the desktop are extracted from the website's favicon... Different browsers read/recognize (whatevs) the favicons in a different way, this is why even on the same OS, the desktop shortcuts may look different from two different browsers. Since you provide screenshots from two different OSs, I see nothing wrong with the shortcuts, regardless of the obvious difference. I don't think there's a way of "fixing" this...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2010   #9

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 
Desktop Favicons are different (worse) between XP and Windows 7

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gornot View Post
The icons placed on the desktop are extracted from the website's favicon... Different browsers read/recognize (whatevs) the favicons in a different way, this is why even on the same OS, the desktop shortcuts may look different from two different browsers. Since you provide screenshots from two different OSs, I see nothing wrong with the shortcuts, regardless of the obvious difference. I don't think there's a way of "fixing" this...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
That's the word I was fishing for: Favicon as in http://www.sevenforums.com/favicon.ico! The file favicon.ico is located on every website's root directory, if that website hase a favicon. Now that I know what to search for, I found the answer here in this forum's post:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
...The one with the white background is the new IE8 shortcut with the "FavIcon" graphic in the center.

The tiny tiny graphic on the huge white page is new to Windows 7 and is an irritation to me personally. Previously the FavIcon would cover the entire icon but I think that that was seen as a security issue. Some malicious website could install a FavIcon that mimiced a windows program or something to make you click it :P...
I think I see my answer, but I am very unhappy with it, since I cannot see my desktop favicon's within the new Windows 7 method of displaying them. Great. Just what I needed, another slam to the visually impaired brought to you in the name of "security".

Bob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2010   #10

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bob3d View Post
...I found the answer here in this forum's post...
Can you provide a link?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Small and Large Desktop Icons - Why?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33