Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: windows live mail 2011 with Windows Live Messenger 2009


30 Oct 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
windows live mail 2011 with Windows Live Messenger 2009

I have windows live mail 2010 and wanted to upgrade to windows live mail 2011 but i dont want to have to install windows live messenger 2011 and would like to keep windows live messenger 2009..

Is there a way i can have windows live mail 2011 along with windows live messenger 2009 (14.0.8117) ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2010   #2
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello GBP,

Was there something wrong with Windows Live Messenger 2011 that we could help with so you wouldn't have to worry about using an older version of it?

Here's the most common complaint and solution for it.
Windows Live Messenger - Change to Full or Compact View
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

While installing Windows Live Essentials 2011, you can choose to only install Windows Live Mail 2011 but you don't have to install Windows Live Messenger 2011.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Oct 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello GBP,

Was there something wrong with Windows Live Messenger 2011 that we could help with so you wouldn't have to worry about using an older version of it?

Here's the most common complaint and solution for it.
Windows Live Messenger - Change to Full or Compact View
I dont like it because there are to many features from the old version missing and its bloated, no handwriting feature, nickname status has been made more incovenient..Horrible update this is and definitely dont want it in my computer..

There is no way to just install windows live mail 2011 without having to install windows live messenger 2011..essentials 2011 forces you to install wlm 2011 also,this is not very nice from microsoft..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2010   #5
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

When you start to install Windows Live Essentials 2011, select (dot) the Choose the programs you want to install option. From here, you will be able to select only the one that you want installed.

Name:  wlsetup-web.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  84.8 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
When you start to install Windows Live Essentials 2011, select (dot) the Choose the programs you want to install option. From here, you will be able to select only the one that you want installed.

Attachment 109586
Im doing that and when i choose programs to installs it still forces you to download windows live messenger no matter what..There are no options to uncheck where it says the programs that will be installed for windows live messenger or windows live mail..On the bottom it says these programs will be updated.There is no way to do it, it wont let you..

By the way i already have windows live messenger 2009 (14.0.8117) and windows live messenger 2009 installed..I dont want it to force me to update to windows live messenger 2011, all i want is to update to windows live mail 2011..Is there another workaround ?


Attached Thumbnails
windows live mail 2011 with Windows Live Messenger 2009-11-01-2010_01-49-12.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #7

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Microsoft no nonger calls Essentials 2011 "beta" but from all the problems people have been reporting with it (especially Mail), I suspect it still is. Maybe that's why they named it "2011". Perhaps you should uninstall 2011 completely (including Mail) and go back to 2009. Note that the web version installers allow you to download just the programs you want within the package but it looks like you can't selectively upgrade some programs but not others:

Windows Live Essentials 2009
- For XP SP2, Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008
Full Version Installer English Language version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe
Web Version Installer – English Language Version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-web.exe
 
Windows Live Essentials 2011
- For Vista SP2 with Platform Update for Vista, Windows 7, and Windows
Server 2008 SP2 with Platform Update Windows Server 2008 R2)
Full Version Installer English Language version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive4-all/en/wlsetup-all.exe
Web Version Installer – English Language Version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive4-web/en/wlsetup-web.exe
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #8
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gbp007 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
When you start to install Windows Live Essentials 2011, select (dot) the Choose the programs you want to install option. From here, you will be able to select only the one that you want installed.

Attachment 109586
Im doing that and when i choose programs to installs it still forces you to download windows live messenger no matter what..There are no options to uncheck where it says the programs that will be installed for windows live messenger or windows live mail..On the bottom it says these programs will be updated.There is no way to do it, it wont let you..

By the way i already have windows live messenger 2009 (14.0.8117) and windows live messenger 2009 installed..I dont want it to force me to update to windows live messenger 2011, all i want is to update to windows live mail 2011..Is there another workaround ?
Ah, I see now.

You will need to uninstall Windows Live Messenger 2009 first, then install Windows Live Essentials 2011 so that it will not automatically update the old version of Windows Live Messenger 2009.

Afterwards, you can use the standalone installed that Ron posted above to reinstall Windows Live Messenger 2009.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gbp007 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
When you start to install Windows Live Essentials 2011, select (dot) the Choose the programs you want to install option. From here, you will be able to select only the one that you want installed.

Attachment 109586
Im doing that and when i choose programs to installs it still forces you to download windows live messenger no matter what..There are no options to uncheck where it says the programs that will be installed for windows live messenger or windows live mail..On the bottom it says these programs will be updated.There is no way to do it, it wont let you..

By the way i already have windows live messenger 2009 (14.0.8117) and windows live messenger 2009 installed..I dont want it to force me to update to windows live messenger 2011, all i want is to update to windows live mail 2011..Is there another workaround ?
Ah, I see now.

You will need to uninstall Windows Live Messenger 2009 first, then install Windows Live Essentials 2011 so that it will not automatically update the old version of Windows Live Messenger 2009.

Afterwards, you can use the standalone installed that Ron posted above to reinstall Windows Live Messenger 2009.
I went and uninstalled windows live messenger first, then i installed windows live mail 2011 from essentials 2011 and then i went to reinstall windows live messenger from essentials 2009 and it gave me the error that i couldnt install the program because i already have a recent version of windows live I posted a thumbnail pic of the error below.


Attached Thumbnails
windows live mail 2011 with Windows Live Messenger 2009-11-01-2010_23-17-28.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2010   #10
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hmm, looks like a catch 22.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 windows live mail 2011 with Windows Live Messenger 2009




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33