I have a devil of a problem.
I have Windows 7 & Outlook 2010 and access three Google email accounts via IMAP. (I use two Google Apps emails and one gmail email set to all funnel to one single account for IMAP retrieval.) I have successfully used these accounts with IMAP on Outlook for a long time (and continue to successfully use them on my iphone and through the web interface). When I moved to Outlook 2010 they worked successfully for quite some time (a couple of months at least). Then suddenly, without changing any settings, my Outlook started to hang when I clicked on the Inbox for main account (but not always immediately, but most of the time -- but eventually if I leave it on the inbox, it will hang). It gives me a "(Not Responding)" in the header of the program and the circle just circles forever (but not always forever -- occasionally only for a couple of minutes, and then it comes back to responding, albeit not with the updated IMAP data). 95% of the time I have to wait and wait until I force the program to close. I can successfully use outlook's calendar, contacts and I can successfully send email. As long as I don't click on the Inbox, I am OK. I have repaired, then reinstalled Outlook. I have removed and re-added all my accounts, which all successfully complete the Test Account Settings. So the connections are correct. I then switched all the mail to forward to a different account thinking something might be fouled in that account. I reoriented my forwarding to another of my Google App accounts, and the problem now exists with IMAP account. Click on that Inbox and either immediately or after a while Outlook will hang and say (Not Responding). Lastly, I can't replicate this on my Laptop, Outlook 2010 accesses the same IMAP account without hanging. The only difference between the two is that my laptop is on XP and my desktop is Windows 7.
This problem is vexing me!!! Especially the erratic nature of the problem.