Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Opening links in IE9(b)

16 Jan 2011   #1
kristalsoldier

Win 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
Opening links in IE9(b)

Hi...

I was trying to open links on a webpage through IE9 but nothing happens on clicking. However, if I rightclick, I can open the link in either a (color-coded) new tab within the same window or in a new window. I checked under Tab Management (within Internet Options) and the following are checked:

Enable Quick Tabs
Enable Tab Groups
Let IE decide how pop-ups are opened
Open links from other programs> A new tab in current window

What can I do what right-clicking links does by simply clicking on links?

Thanks in advance for your help.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jan 2011   #2
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kristalsoldier View Post
Hi...

I was trying to open links on a webpage through IE9 but nothing happens on clicking. However, if I rightclick, I can open the link in either a (color-coded) new tab within the same window or in a new window. I checked under Tab Management (within Internet Options) and the following are checked:

Enable Quick Tabs
Enable Tab Groups
Let IE decide how pop-ups are opened
Open links from other programs> A new tab in current window

What can I do what right-clicking links does by simply clicking on links?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Press the middle mouse button to open links
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2011   #3
kristalsoldier

Win 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kristalsoldier View Post
Hi...

I was trying to open links on a webpage through IE9 but nothing happens on clicking. However, if I rightclick, I can open the link in either a (color-coded) new tab within the same window or in a new window. I checked under Tab Management (within Internet Options) and the following are checked:

Enable Quick Tabs
Enable Tab Groups
Let IE decide how pop-ups are opened
Open links from other programs> A new tab in current window

What can I do what right-clicking links does by simply clicking on links?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Press the middle mouse button to open links
Doesn't seem to work...but then again, I have quite an old mouse - its the Logitech Nano.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jan 2011   #4
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kristalsoldier View Post
...What can I do what right-clicking links does by simply clicking on links?...
Have you tried a new mouse?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2011   #5
kristalsoldier

Win 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roncerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kristalsoldier View Post
...What can I do what right-clicking links does by simply clicking on links?...
Have you tried a new mouse?
No. But should I need a mouse to do what I want to do? I don't seem to need the mouse to have the same effect in Chrome (latest stable build). Could this be a quirk because of the beta status of IE9 - though I do recall that when I used IE9 fulltime, it was possible. And I don't think I made any changes to the IE9 settings.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2011   #6
kristalsoldier

Win 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

OK. I think I got it to work. Quite a silly thing really.

Click the Tools icon> Internet Options>PrivacyTab>Pop-Up Blocker>Settings>choose "medium" from drop down menu.

Earlier, I had chosen "High", which caused the problem (or so I am speculating because after having made the abvoe change, the tab opening thing that I was asking about seems to be working fine. (It follows the colour coding too!)

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2011   #7
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

I'm glad you solved the problem. I guess I still don't understand the original question. I thought there were only two kinds of "clicking", left and right, and both are done with a mouse. How does one "click" without a mouse?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Opening links in IE9(b)




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
some website links cause the opening of a blank page
Hi everyone On a large number of occasions when I click on a link on a website , ie opens a blank page caption. I found that the only way to get to the link you require is to right click on the mouse and click on copy link and put that in the browser. That is not the obvious way it...
Software
Links are opening WordPad!
I have posted this in the "Crashes and debugging forum" but it may not belong there. Last week I clicked on a desktop shortcut to a web site, a Word document came up with what looks like is computer code. I removed my MS Office 2000 which also removed Word and started using WordPad. I clicked on...
General Discussion
opening links in the same window
I have designed two tables left and right side of the same height.will some one please guide me how I can code to open all my links in the same window while the link portion of the table(left) remain unchaged and all my links to be opened in the right side of the table. Thanks
Browsers & Mail
Links opening in Media Player
I have managed to associate the ".lnk" file extension with Windows Media Player, now all my shortcuts want to open with Windows Medial Player. Is there any way I can reverse this?
General Discussion
Opening links in entirely new tabs
I would like to set my browser up to where when I click on a link, it will automatically open it up in a new tab without removing the original tab. I have gone to Tools-->Internet Options-->Tabs, Settings, and seem to have the correct settings set, but it still opens new link in my current tab as...
Browsers & Mail
Recurrent problem opening links
THis morning I was looking a website to view a demonstaration video that was linked within the website. I clicked the link and got a message that "Internet Explorer couldnt display the page", There was a diagnostic option that I clicked and was absolutely no help. I disabled my virus program...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App