Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: firefox eating 480 MB of memory?

08 Jul 2009   #1
akramh

Windows 7 7264x64(main), 7260x86(secendary), XP SP3 Triple Boot
 
 
firefox eating 480 MB of memory?

was looking at the task manager and it was kind of shocking to see firefox eating up 500MB of memory.. does that mean something could be wrong? I noticed sometimes when I am typing there is a delay for letters to appear, maybe that's a bad sign.... here is a picy attached!

I only have 2 tabs open at the moment, both pointing to seven forums. could it be cashe settings? I think I was playing around with the cash settings recently but don't remember if it was disk cashe or memory cashe...

I'm using firefox v3.0.11, since I had some issues with v3.5 like not being able to drag & drop URLs to the bookmark toolbar..

as I type these words, again there is a delay when I type letters..




Attached Images
firefox eating 480 MB of memory?-500mb.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jul 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
mem leak in FF

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by akramh View Post
was looking at the task manager and it was kind of shocking to see firefox eating up 500MB of memory.. does that mean something could be wrong? I noticed sometimes when I am typing there is a delay for letters to appear, maybe that's a bad sign.... here is a picy attached!

I only have 2 tabs open at the moment, both pointing to seven forums. could it be cashe settings? I think I was playing around with the cash settings recently but don't remember if it was disk cashe or memory cashe...

I'm using firefox v3.0.11, since I had some issues with v3.5 like not being able to drag & drop URLs to the bookmark toolbar..

as I type these words, again there is a delay when I type letters..
I have seen that in both 3.0 and to a lesser extent in 3.5. IM using 3.5 and FF is using 215MB.You can lower the cache but that will slw down FF do you want to do that?


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #3
akramh

Windows 7 7264x64(main), 7260x86(secendary), XP SP3 Triple Boot
 
 

no I don't want to slow down firefox :P

just closed firefox and checked the task manager, it took 20 seconds for firefox to fully close and disapear from the task manager then started it again, it imediatly took 50MB of memory, and now after 10 minuts of browsing it's taking 75MB which is OK.

considering your firefox is taking 200MB then you were not really that far behind me! I will watch and see what happens, btw when it was at 500MB I haven't restarted firefox for a long time as I was surfing other sites so maybe that has something to do with it... but when you close those sites isn't it supposed to free that memory?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jul 2009   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
firefox

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by akramh View Post
no I don't want to slow down firefox :P

just closed firefox and checked the task manager, it took 20 seconds for firefox to fully close and disapear from the task manager then started it again, it imediatly took 50MB of memory, and now after 10 minuts of browsing it's taking 75MB which is OK.

considering your firefox is taking 200MB then you were not really that far behind me! I will watch and see what happens, btw when it was at 500MB I haven't restarted firefox for a long time as I was surfing other sites so maybe that has something to do with it... but when you close those sites isn't it supposed to free that memory?
Firefox doesnt release the mem till all windows are closed. I hade 10 windows open and it was using 440mb, I closed all but 1 and it only went done to 300. I regularly restart FF

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #5
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Sounds like a lot I have 4 tabs open and it is at 61mb :

firefox eating 480 MB of memory?-ffmem2009-07-08_164219.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
FireFox

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Sounds like a lot I have 4 tabs open and it is at 61mb :

Attachment 17136
Maybe its which tabs are open. Im running 4 SF tabs and i at 200+megs
K
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2009   #7
pop pop

Win 7 RC 64-Bit, XP Pro 32-Bit, Suse Linux
 
 

As good as Firefox is, and as good as the Mozilla folks are, This is one dragon they have never slayed. Firefox has had a memory leak since inception. They have never fixed it. One tab open or many, doesn't matter. Leak, leak, leak. I have posted a ton about this in other forums.

Take an ordinary machine...my wife's...a Celeron running XP Pro with 512 Gb of RAM. OPen Firefox to a single page...Yahoo. Wait. It eats some RAM. Wait some more and it eats more. Eventually, it takes all the RAM and crashes itself or the machine or both. I've watched this happen. Granted, it takes a couple of days, but it will act like a flesh eating bacteria and consume everything including itself.

To me, that's a BIG problem. Working in software myself I know memory management can be a bear. But this is bad...and has been forever.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #8
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Do you have lots of plugins installed? Each one of those will use up memory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #9
spliff

7600x64 RTM
 
 

See anything out of the normal please comment:


Attached Images
firefox eating 480 MB of memory?-ss2.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #10
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

firefox is only using 120mb which is quite reasonable. Apart from that I see nothing unusual in that screenshot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 firefox eating 480 MB of memory?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Suspicious EXE Eating up Memory
My computer has been working fine up until a few days ago, when suddenly my computer began to slow to a crawl. Programs would freeze and crash, and sometimes my computer would automatically alt+escape to the desktop while I was playing a game. I looked in the task manager, and there are several (12...
General Discussion
Firefox upgrade, memory hog?
Firefox recently upgraded itself to v27 and it appears that it's hogging up a bunch of memory. Has anyone else ran into this? If so, what did you do to correct? I tried turning off hardware acceleration but it still seems extreme. Currently i have one tab open (this one) and it's taking up about...
Browsers & Mail
Firefox memory Leak?
This morning I woke my computer up (sleep mode) and was astonished to see memory usage at 54%! I have 8GB RAM and I've never seen it this high. I checked Task Manager and saw that Firefox was using 1.8GB and still climbing; about every second it increased by a few Bytes, like clockwork. There...
Browsers & Mail
Plugin container for firefox and firefox eating up memory
I was having problems with too high physical memory usage(highest was 73%) causing my PC to respond slower even during winexplore. I started uninstalling unnecessary programs and disabling unnecessary processes, when I noticed that plugin-container.exe is taking up 23,xxx KB memory while firefox...
Performance & Maintenance
IE8 eating up tons of memory
Hi all - I am running Windows 7 on an Alienware desktop dual-booted with XP. In Windows 7 IE8 eats up tons of RAM and performs very badly (but no issues in XP). Here are my system specs and screenshot of taskmanager. Please let me know if you have any idea. thanks, bob System...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App