Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Firefox 5 bookmarks copying

18 Jul 2011   #1
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Firefox 5 bookmarks copying

Just want to make sure it is normal...

the last hour I was organizing all my bookmarks on Firefox 5 into folders and sub- folders.

I had to do a lot of copying and pasting, and I noticed firefox was not responding everytime I copied or pasted.

for example I was copying and pasting folder with thousands of bookmarks(2000-12K)
And it wasn't fast! I am quite disappointed with the performance.

Not only that, but after I finished copying when I selected one of the bookmarks in the folder, it was not responsive for a few seconds.

copying, pasting, and selecting took between 10s to 1m!!! This is a lot of time to wait just to move bookmarks around!

I wonder whether there is a problem in my laptop or thousands of bookmarks are really that huge...?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Jul 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Senteaf View Post
Just want to make sure it is normal...

the last hour I was organizing all my bookmarks on Firefox 5 into folders and sub- folders.

I had to do a lot of copying and pasting, and I noticed firefox was not responding everytime I copied or pasted.

for example I was copying and pasting folder with thousands of bookmarks(2000-12K)
And it wasn't fast! I am quite disappointed with the performance.

Not only that, but after I finished copying when I selected one of the bookmarks in the folder, it was not responsive for a few seconds.

copying, pasting, and selecting took between 10s to 1m!!! This is a lot of time to wait just to move bookmarks around!

I wonder whether there is a problem in my laptop or thousands of bookmarks are really that huge...?
It is mostly the number of bookmarks compounded by the minimum ram you have. There isnt much to be done except add ram or prune bookmarks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #3
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I thought the RAM was the problem. But when I checked my RAM while doing these operations, I found out that there was only subtle increase.
However, the process used 25% of my CPU!

Why would it use that much?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jul 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Senteaf View Post
I thought the RAM was the problem. But when I checked my RAM while doing these operations, I found out that there was only subtle increase.
However, the process used 25% of my CPU!

Why would it use that much?
Its not just the ram the process itself uses. Its the ram that has to be taken from the system to fill the bookmarks needs. That is what slows down the system

The minimum ram for a 64 bit system (with no added demands like 100 bookmarks let alone 2000+) is 2 gigs.

Check task manager and look at how much ram is free before doing anything. it wont be much at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2011   #5
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Senteaf View Post
I thought the RAM was the problem. But when I checked my RAM while doing these operations, I found out that there was only subtle increase.
However, the process used 25% of my CPU!

Why would it use that much?
Its not just the ram the process itself uses. Its the ram that has to be taken from the system to fill the bookmarks needs. That is what slows down the system

The minimum ram for a 64 bit system (with no added demands like 100 bookmarks let alone 2000+) is 2 gigs.

Check task manager and look at how much ram is free before doing anything. it wont be much at all.
I agree with the minimum ram for 64-bit. I was not aware of the 64-bit ram demand when I purchased the laptop.
I want to make sure it is normal and not caused by any software or hardware malfunction.
Also, my CPU clock speed is 2.40Ghz, is it considered fast enough today?

Ram free before doing anything (when I log in after boot) can be 900-1000MB. Sometimes it is even 0-100MB free!

But again, when I watch the RAM usage while copying I see only subtle changes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Firefox 5 bookmarks copying




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
lost all my firefox bookmarks :(
My Avast virus scanner hasnt been playing nice with Firefox recently. It kept changing my default search provider from Google but that wasnt a big deal. A few days ago it said I have problems with 3 extensions (not all FF i think). I removed the first 2 without incident. When I removed the third...
Browsers & Mail
Backing up Bookmarks From Firefox: How Please ?
Hello, I use Firefox for my Browser. I would like to backup all of my Bookmarks to an external hd so I don't lose them; my HD is beginning to have problems, apparently. How would I back them all up, please ? Where is the file of them stored in W7 ?
General Discussion
copying text in Word 07 creates bookmarks??
Suddenly, whenever I copy anything in Word 07, the copied text is bracketed with square brackets. They are gray color, and they are not reflected in the clipboard contents, so I believe they are non-printing characters. I have never had this happen before, and can't figure out what is going on....
Microsoft Office
Firefox Bookmarks
Hello, At present, to access all of my Bookmarks I have to click the arrow at the end of the Toolbar. There is a way of enlarging this Toolbar so that I can see ALL of my Bookmarks without having to click that arrow. Advice on this would be appreciated. I cannot see to...
Browsers & Mail
Firefox bookmarks ?
I did reinstalled Firefox to look like a new install do I saved the first bookmarks ? I import and backup,my bookmarks and choose export HTML. I saved my bookmarks in an HTML file on my Desktop I do not know where to restore the bookmarks back in Firefox?
Browsers & Mail
Firefox bookmarks are not where they should be??
First of all, I'm running windows 7 pro 64bit, with the latest version of firefox installed. This has got me stumped. In xp I had a program set to regularly backup my firefox profiles folder. The most important file in this folder was (and still is) bookmarks.html. Since I moved to windows 7...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App