anyone dealt with this before?
I've repaired and refurbed MANY windows PC's and never seen this.
I on a rebuild I checked IE8 via windows updates, along with a few other security patches etc. I noticed when IE8 was installing, the onscreen progress indicator got stuck in a loop saying 'installing" or one of those messages, and it never blinked for like 40 minutes. I finally had to force it closed.
to my surprise, on a reboot, IE8 was "installed" but in using it, I noticed it had no Tab item on the context menu and no tab 'button' onscreen. tried to fix and could not, so I uninstalled it altogether and downloaded the whole IE7 install package.
Ran the install, it worked fine, but when I used it, no tabs.
When I go to internet settings, General, there is no tab setting applet. it doesn't exist.
there are a LOT of posts in forums on this issue in both ie7 and ie8 but the 'advice' given usually results in the thread going zombie... never resolved. in fact I've yet to find one that truly looks like it was 'fixed', which is why I am posting.
otherwise, IE7 works great... way faster than the other IE's
EDIT: one more mystery: I have, and have had, no IE-No-Addons in the System Tools Menu.