Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot create rules in Hotmail

19 Jul 2011   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Cannot create rules in Hotmail

Hi

I have Windows 7 x64 Pro and a Hotmail account that I access in IE9.

I am trying to set up rules but when I go to the section
"Rules for sorting new messages" and click on the "New"
button, nothing happens.

Is there something I am missing here?

Thanks

Daniel

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jul 2011   #2

 

Is there an error icon on the loaded page down to the bottom left of the screen?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
Hi

I have Windows 7 x64 Pro and a Hotmail account that I access in IE9.

I am trying to set up rules but when I go to the section
"Rules for sorting new messages" and click on the "New"
button, nothing happens.

Is there something I am missing here?

Thanks

Daniel
Have a look at my screenshot. It might explains what you asked.
Cannot create rules in Hotmail-hotmail-rules.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jul 2011   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hi

it does not matter which one I select, nothing happens when I press the "New" button.
Also I xannot put a check in the box.

Regards

Daniel
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brady View Post
Is there an error icon on the loaded page down to the bottom left of the screen?
Hi

no there is not and BTW I have tried with both 32 and 64 bit IE9

regards

Daniel
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
Hi

it does not matter which one I select, nothing happens when I press the "New" button.
Also I xannot put a check in the box.

Regards

Daniel
Here is an answer from a very knowledeagble computer user :
The following is a direct copy/paste. No paraphrasing.
Source of the info :
http://www.vistax64.com/live-mail/13...age-rules.html

Name of the answer is Ildhund

Two suggestions:
(1) Invest $20 a year in converting your account to Hotmail Plus and use
POP3 to access it. Then you can use rules.
(2) Set up your rules in Hotmail on the web (Options > More options >
Automatically sort your mail into folders). This doesn't allow for
sub-folders, but at least you should be able to achieve the sort of
first-line sorting that you're after. The folders you set up will be
synchronized in WLMail.
--
Noel







My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hi

Re the post you copied

"Two suggestions:
(1) Invest $20 a year in converting your account to Hotmail Plus and use
[COLOR=#3676A2 !important][COLOR=#3676A2 !important]POP3[/COLOR][/COLOR] to access it. Then you can use rules.
(2) Set up your rules in Hotmail on the web (Options > More options >
Automatically sort your mail into folders). This doesn't allow for
sub-folders, but at least you should be able to achieve the sort of
first-line sorting that you're after. The folders you set up will be
synchronized in WLMail."


RE: Suggestion 1) I could also use may other email clients but my question was about my Hotmail account.

RE: Suggestion 2) I am using Hotmail :Set up your rules in Hotmail on the web (Options > More options >
Automatically sort your mail into folders)" But it is not working, that is what my OP is about.

Regards

Daniel
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
Hi

Re the post you copied

"Two suggestions:
(1) Invest $20 a year in converting your account to Hotmail Plus and use
[COLOR=#3676A2 !important][COLOR=#3676A2 !important]POP3[/COLOR][/COLOR] to access it. Then you can use rules.
(2) Set up your rules in Hotmail on the web (Options > More options >
Automatically sort your mail into folders). This doesn't allow for
sub-folders, but at least you should be able to achieve the sort of
first-line sorting that you're after. The folders you set up will be
synchronized in WLMail."

RE: Suggestion 1) I could also use may other email clients but my question was about my Hotmail account.

RE: Suggestion 2) I am using Hotmail :Set up your rules in Hotmail on the web (Options > More options >
Automatically sort your mail into folders)" But it is not working, that is what my OP is about.

Regards

Daniel
He was saying you can NOT apply rules unless it is a POP3.
And, in order to do that, you need to pay $20 a year to switch to Hotnmail Plus. Then, you can set up rules.
Notice that there is no " Automatically sort your mail into folders " option for us ?
That is why it is not working.

That is how I understood what he said.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hi

I am advised that Hotmail has Rules capability of the type I need, in fact the Option 2) confirms that.

Here is a copy of a statement by a MVP on the MS Forums.

"Only pop3 accounts can use message rules.
Login in to your account with your browser and make your rules online. The folders and messages will be synched back to your computer."


Either way I am sure I will find out.

Regards

Daniel
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2011   #10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hi

in case anyone else here has the same problem, here is a work around, found in the post by JND66

Cheers

Daniel
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot create rules in Hotmail




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Cannot create rules in Hotmail
Thread Forum
AppLocker - I am unable to create file hash rules! What gives? Software
Frequently get Hotmail message "We can't connect to Hotmail right now" General Discussion
Possible to create "file rules" similar to email rules General Discussion
WLM Rules Browsers & Mail
AppLocker - Create New Rules Tutorials

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33