Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Outlook security warning Server certificate


15 Mar 2012   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Outlook security warning Server certificate

Hi,

I use Outlook2010 as mail program.
When I Start it to receive my mails I got a Internet Security warning.
“Target Principal Name is Incorrect”
What simply means that the URL of the certificate and the domain I connect to is not the same. Thats not a real problem as I know the cert is OK.

The question is how do I tell outlook that it hast to trust this certificate?
I already tried some ways to install it, but it seems that I'm missing something.
Can somebody give me some help?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Mar 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Check if you have KB2524375 installed in your updates.
Microsoft Security Advisory: Fraudulent Digital Certificates could allow spoofing
If not pick the one appropriate to your system.

How to view: Windows Update - View Update History Details
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2012   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Check if you have KB2524375 installed in your updates.
Microsoft Security Advisory: Fraudulent Digital Certificates could allow spoofing
If not pick the one appropriate to your system.

How to view: Windows Update - View Update History Details
Is installed ...

When I view the certificate I can also "install" it to some different locations.
But it seems not to work.



Some Info about the system:
Windows 7x64 Prof always up to date.
Office 2010 x64.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Mar 2012   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Are you using any other email programs, whether web or client based?

Go to:
Outlook. Select "tools" > "Actions" > "Account Settings" > Double-click on your email address.

Under Server information:
Incoming Mail Server should be, pop.other email program.com
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) should be, smtp.other email program.com


There is also another KB compatibility problem (KB980436)
You can either delete the Update or add a DWORD value to the registry.
More information:
https://blogs.msdn.com | Understanding Problems with MS10-049, KB 980436 and IETF RFC5746

Near the bottom of this link it suggests to use the SSL protocols, especially 3.0, and to uncheck any TLS protocols.
In IE8: Tools >Internet Options >Advanced Tab >Near the bottom of the Security Section.
In FF 10.0.2: Tools >Options >Advanced Tab >Encryption Tab

Using gmail I have all protocols checked in IE8, and in FF I have both SSL, and TLS checked, and I have no problems, but then I don't have KB980436 installed either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2012   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Are you using any other email programs, whether web or client based?
Yes, I use(ed) also web interface.
(In very former times I also used Thunderbird)
But I have only Problems with Outlook 2010 x64.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Go to:
Outlook. Select "tools" > "Actions" > "Account Settings" > Double-click on your email address.

Under Server information:
Incoming Mail Server should be, pop.other email program.com
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) should be, smtp.other email program.com
I do not understand why there should be "other email program"?
In my case:
imap.domain.at TLS Port 143
smtp.domain.at TLS Port 25

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
There is also another KB compatibility problem (KB980436)
You can either delete the Update or add a DWORD value to the registry.
More information:
https://blogs.msdn.com | Understanding Problems with MS10-049, KB 980436 and IETF RFC5746
I propably will read through, but allready found:
Quote:
Again, this is only temporary. Fix the Server! OpenSSL, Apache etc.. all have fixes for this (see CVE-2009-3555 for links to your product).
This does not sound like this refers to a local problem.
I thought I only got a problem in the way outlook stores the certificate.
I just want to say: "Hey, Outlook. I know the names don't mach (In the cert and the server I connecting to) but it is Ok, I trust the signing".

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Near the bottom of this link it suggests to use the SSL protocols, especially 3.0, and to uncheck any TLS protocols.
In IE8: Tools >Internet Options >Advanced Tab >Near the bottom of the Security Section.
In FF 10.0.2: Tools >Options >Advanced Tab >Encryption Tab

Using gmail I have all protocols checked in IE8, and in FF I have both SSL, and TLS checked, and I have no problems, but then I don't have KB980436 installed either.
I do not realy see whats the connection between IE/FF and Outlook?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MPREv View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Are you using any other email programs, whether web or client based?
Yes, I use(ed) also web interface.
(In very former times I also used Thunderbird)
But I have only Problems with Outlook 2010 x64.
How do you think Outlook gets its emails? Through the Internet, and if your browser security protocols are not set right you will receive warnings.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MPREv View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Go to:
Outlook. Select "tools" > "Actions" > "Account Settings" > Double-click on your email address.

Under Server information:
Incoming Mail Server should be, pop.other email program.com
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) should be, smtp.other email program.com
I do not understand why there should be "other email program"?
In my case:
imap.domain.at TLS Port 143
smtp.domain.at TLS Port 25
The "other email program" was to be a clue for you to type in the name of that web based email program.

Lets say you have Yahoo because you have not been forthcoming about any of you system specs, and I am only using that as an example.
Then
imap.domain. should be reset to pop.yahoo.com, and
smtp.domain. should be reset to smtp.yahoo.com

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MPREv View Post
I propably will read through, but allready found:
Quote:
Again, this is only temporary. Fix the Server! OpenSSL, Apache etc.. all have fixes for this (see CVE-2009-3555 for links to your product).
This does not sound like this refers to a local problem.
I thought I only got a problem in the way outlook stores the certificate.
I just want to say: "Hey, Outlook. I know the names don't mach (In the cert and the server I connecting to) but it is Ok, I trust the signing".
You do have a problem in the way Outlook accepts, and stores certificates that's why you are getting the warning. To the best of my knowledge there is no setting to just tell Outlook to ignore the warning.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MPREv View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Near the bottom of this link it suggests to use the SSL protocols, especially 3.0, and to uncheck any TLS protocols.
In IE8: Tools >Internet Options >Advanced Tab >Near the bottom of the Security Section.
In FF 10.0.2: Tools >Options >Advanced Tab >Encryption Tab

Using gmail I have all protocols checked in IE8, and in FF I have both SSL, and TLS checked, and I have no problems, but then I don't have KB980436 installed either.
I do not realy see whats the connection between IE/FF and Outlook?
I only put that in there to help you find where the settings for SSL, and TLS were kept in those browsers, and to uncheck any TLS settings .

If your browser security protocols are not set right you will receive warnings.



Do you have KB980436 installed?

You could run this to check for any security vulnerabilities: https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/


EDIT:
You can also try this: Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Outlook security warning Server certificate




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Outlook security warning Server certificate
Thread Forum
Outlook Attachment security Warning Software
Server certificate error message when I go on FB via Phone General Discussion
Solved Outlook 2010 - Internet Security Warning - Security Certificate cannot Microsoft Office
Outlook 2010 Attachment security warning Microsoft Office
Security certificate (I think) help, please Browsers & Mail
Outlook Security Warning Browsers & Mail
Security Certificate System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33