|23 Jun 2012||#1|
| || |
Mandatory (?) WLE Upgrade
Here is part of a post I found in a Windows "user2user" newsgroup populated by some Microsoft "MVPs":
...I believe the design intent is to lock out all pre WLE 2011 QFE3 programs on Vista/Windows 7 until the upgrade is installed but due to problems with downloading the bits or backend server related problems, it may not be functioning as completely intended.
In any event - if ***your o/s is Windows 7 or Vista*** and you are using Windows Live Mail QFE2 (or Messenger, or PhotoGallery, Mesh) or earlier (including any WLE 2009 version) then it is in your best interest to upgrade.
- Imo opinion the best way to upgrade is via manually downloading the full version or web installer from MSFT and do not upgrade via the Task Bar or Program upgrade notifications.
What you should do ?
1. Back up your contacts to a csv file or vcf files (if you can't open WLM, ignore any upgrade requests, skip this step and go to step 2 below)
- imo for Vista or Windows 7 vcf files is preferred. Export all contacts to a blank folder and import all those VCF files into your Windows profile 'Users/Contacts folder'. WLMail doesn't use that folder but WLM easily imports contacts from that folder into WLM.
2. Download the full version installer (recommended) or web installer
- links to both full and web installers stored on the Msft server can be found on my blog Windows Live Downloads
3. Close all Windows Live Essential applications
4. Run the full or web installer download file by rt. click and select run as administrator
5. Once the installer loads, do not accept the default install. Select the option titled
- Let me choose ....
6. Uncheck any application you do not want installed (e.g. Bing Bar, Family Safety). Any existing applications will already be shown as ready for the update (remember this is an installer, not an uninstaller).
7. Wait for the upgrade to finish (do not interrupt).
8. Once done, ignore any prompts to open or start using the program (cancel them).
9. Restart your machine.
10. If WLM is installed then open it and verify all email accounts and contacts are intact. If not using a Live ID to sign on to Live services, ensure that you are not signed on. Review your email accounts and messages. Click on Contacts (icon is lower left of left hand folder pane) and verify that your contacts are present.
This is the link to WLE from Microsoft: Windows Live Essentials - Download Windows Live Essentials
FWIW, I'm using WLM 2009 and will continue to do so as long as possible. If/when I find WLM won't open w/o the update I'll follow the above advice except that I would go to the Microsoft link shown and use the web installer so I can download and install WLM by itself. After that I may go back for additional parts of the WLE suite. Since I have been "signing-in" to WLM all along, I've been using my "signed-in" contact list which should simply populate the contact pane upon signing in...no need to back up, export, import, or worry about loosing any contacts.
|My System Specs|
|24 Jun 2012||#2|
| || |
There are over 250 negative comments about the "upgrade" here: Mandatory Update to Windows Live Essentials is now available - Microsoft Answers
While there may be little we can do about any new features that may be unneeded, I believe we stand a better chance of doing a successful upgrade if we follow winston's suggestions in my previous post. Also, if you have not been signing-in, it may be advisable to save your contacts to the c:/users/<username>/Contacts folder as winston suggests so that you can reimport them into the "upgraded" WLM if necessary.
|My System Specs|
|28 Jun 2012||#3|
| || |
So far I have not been forced to "upgrade" WLM. That may be because I'm still using the non-ribbon 2009/2010 version, never installed any other part of the Essentials suite, and have never installed or even signed in to Messenger. I do always sign in automatically to Mail to let Microsoft save and keep my contact list up to date.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Mandatory (?) WLE Upgrade|
|Mandatory Upgrade of Messenger to Skype||Software|
|Windows 7 Mandatory Profiles not deleting on logoff HELP||General Discussion|
|Why is my D drive included (mandatory) in system image?||Backup and Restore|
|Mandatory Profile + Group Policy||General Discussion|
|Mandatory "Local Profile"||Installation & Setup|
|Windows 7 Driver Testing Mandatory||Drivers|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.