Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Firefox Quicktime Plugin


23 Sep 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Firefox Quicktime Plugin

Firefox keeps nagging me to install Quicktime plugin when I am on facebook and receiving chats. Windows 7 has the ability to do what quicktime was needed for, how do I get Firefox to use the build in capability and stop nagging me to install Quicktime? I don't like Apple software.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Sep 2009   #2

Windows 7 x64
 
 

It's because Facebook had the smart idea to replace or add a mp3 file for the popup sound when you get a message. Not sure if they actually replaced the swf file that had the sound in it, but I sometimes get the same error message with Firefox asking for Quicktime and sometimes not... and I never installed quicktime or Itune on Windows 7.

look around on google for mp3 and facebook chat, you'll find plenty of people complaining for the same problem. fixed it by blocking the mp3 file using Adblock here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 

I want the noise. I want some plugin for firefox so that it can play mp3 files without using quicktime. Windows has an mp3 codec, why can't it use that? Why would it need Quicktime's codec?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Sep 2009   #4

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Probably because Firefox cannot use by default the Windows mp3 playback capability (AKA Windows Media Player) as IE does. Microsoft has a plugin to use WMP in Firefox. Have you tried this plugin btw? ( Download the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin - Port 25: The Open Source Community at Microsoft )

Don't really know for the Quicktime choice. They probably picked a popular mp3 player other than WMP that worked by default (without extra hack/plugin to download) with Firefox. I think VLC with the Mozilla plugin also plays embedded mp3.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2009   #5

Windows 7 7600RTM X64
 
 

Hey it won't let me install it on my 64bit OS. I think i've been having probs with my Windows Installer lately since i got like every Win Update i possibly could lol. But since then i couldn't install a specific video editor, CS4, this plugin and a lot of things. I attached to images below one is the error i get when installing this WMP firefox plugin and the other is of all the updates i got. Should i uninstall any? Would any force incompatibilities?


Attached Thumbnails
Firefox Quicktime Plugin-prog-updates.png  
Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Criminal Fetus View Post
Hey it won't let me install it on my 64bit OS. I think i've been having probs with my Windows Installer lately since i got like every Win Update i possibly could lol. But since then i couldn't install a specific video editor, CS4, this plugin and a lot of things. I attached to images below one is the error i get when installing this WMP firefox plugin and the other is of all the updates i got. Should i uninstall any? Would any force incompatibilities?

Look in event viewer (event viewer in search) go to windows log, applications. find the errors (red "X" in left column) and tell us the most comman event ID and source

I bet you have a bunch of event ID 1000 and source 100, right?

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2009   #7

Windows 7 7600RTM X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Criminal Fetus View Post
Hey it won't let me install it on my 64bit OS. I think i've been having probs with my Windows Installer lately since i got like every Win Update i possibly could lol. But since then i couldn't install a specific video editor, CS4, this plugin and a lot of things. I attached to images below one is the error i get when installing this WMP firefox plugin and the other is of all the updates i got. Should i uninstall any? Would any force incompatibilities?

Look in event viewer (event viewer in search) go to windows log, applications. find the errors (red "X" in left column) and tell us the most comman event ID and source

I bet you have a bunch of event ID 1000 and source 100, right?

ken
More like 1 to 1,000,000 lol
nah here's a text upload there's SO many of the red errors!!!


Attached Files
File Type: txt events.txt (27.8 KB, 1073 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2009   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

CF

Ok

I have no idea what shift.exe is but its giving you grief. Now on to the problem. Event viewer evend ID 1000, source 100, is caused by a DEP error. dep= data execution prevention. its is in your system control panel. It should be on for all programs. It is located in control panel>system control panel>advanced settings>performance settings>DEP tab

Make sure its on and re-boot. after that we can start looking at the rest of your errors.

good luck


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2009   #9

Windows 7 7600RTM X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
CF

Ok

I have no idea what shift.exe is but its giving you grief. Now on to the problem. Event viewer evend ID 1000, source 100, is caused by a DEP error. dep= data execution prevention. its is in your system control panel. It should be on for all programs. It is located in control panel>system control panel>advanced settings>performance settings>DEP tab

Make sure its on and re-boot. after that we can start looking at the rest of your errors.

good luck


Ken

It's been on and shift.exe came from Need For Speed Shift. It kept crashing out of nowhere and i never figured out why but its off my computer now


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2009   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

CF

how far back does this problem go? first event in this list was an MSI instalaler, and a VSS backup.

I assume you dont have a backup to restore from given the errors in the event log.

is there anything on the drive that you cant live without if you were to do a clean install?

k
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Firefox Quicktime Plugin




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Firefox Quicktime Plugin
Thread Forum
Plugin container for firefox and firefox eating up memory Performance & Maintenance
Firefox 3.6.4/plugin-container.exe Browsers & Mail
Looking for a WebCrawler app or Firefox add-on/plugin Browsers & Mail
Quicktime plugin for Firefox not fully working Browsers & Mail
Firefox W7 x64 Quicktime issue Browsers & Mail
Firefox 3, QuickTime Plugin Browsers & Mail
Native Quicktime Browser Plugin Music, Pictures & Video

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33