Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: There is a bug in Windows Live Mail Essentials 2012 as an upgrade

04 Mar 2013   #21
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
You can try this as a work around to send an Email to everyone in a Category.

In the Contacts window:
  • Select the Category you want to send a message to.
  • Left click on the first Recipient name in the Contacts list.
  • Press the Shift key and Left click on the last Recipient name in the Contacts list.
  • Release the Shift key.
  • Right click in the Contacts list (where all the recipients are now selected).
  • Left Click Send Email.
That should open a new Email message with all the recipients in the To field.
that works but it only goes in the: To
For me that is not good because I need it to go into the BCC
I want to hide all the names
I can copy all the recipients in the To field and paste them into the BCC field.
Then delete all the names in the To field.
Again, not pretty, but a pita work around...?

I don't use WLM as my main email client, so my WLM lists are very short...in case that makes a difference.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Mar 2013   #22
robinb9

Windows 7 Pro 32/64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit/64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
You can try this as a work around to send an Email to everyone in a Category.

In the Contacts window:
  • Select the Category you want to send a message to.
  • Left click on the first Recipient name in the Contacts list.
  • Press the Shift key and Left click on the last Recipient name in the Contacts list.
  • Release the Shift key.
  • Right click in the Contacts list (where all the recipients are now selected).
  • Left Click Send Email.
That should open a new Email message with all the recipients in the To field.
that works but it only goes in the: To
For me that is not good because I need it to go into the BCC
I want to hide all the names
I can copy all the recipients in the To field and paste them into the BCC field.
Then delete all the names in the To field.
Again, not pretty, but a pita work around...?

I don't use WLM as my main email client, so my WLM lists are very short...in case that makes a difference.

true but I have 21 names in one and 62 in another and that is a royal pain to copy one by one, you cannot highlight all of them at once and copy, if you try it- it comes out so weird looking in the bcc that it scrambles most of the emails that make it illegible to read- nevermind send
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2013   #23
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

I can Right click in the To field, Select All, and Copy.
Yes, I know it translates the Display Names to the email addresses when pasting into another field.
In my testing the Send worked, and the Email is received showing the Display Name...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Mar 2013   #24
robinb9

Windows 7 Pro 32/64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit/64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
I can Right click in the To field, Select All, and Copy.
Yes, I know it translates the Display Names to the email addresses when pasting into another field.
In my testing the Send worked, and the Email is received showing the Display Name...
still a royal pain, it should just work correctly without having to work around it!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2013   #25
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Ok I guess I can't follow your testing.

Here's what I understand
Win7 machines with WLM 2011 -> upgraded to WEmail 2012.
You cannot send to categories - I'm unclear on this and suggested a testing methodology to help me understand
You rolled back all Win7 machines to WLM 2011 and you can send to categories
You installed WEmail fresh on a Win8 machine and it worked until you closed WEmail and relaunched
--> a subsequent close and relaunch resolved it - but it's flaky
You have no more Win7 test machines
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
I just checked the test computer I have of windows 7. I was incorrect. I was not sure but I did install WLM 2011 on it so I have no more computers to test for you
.....One thing, If you leave 2012 open then you can send group contacts just fine
Close the program, reopen- then it is the luck of the draw or the day of the week
But isn't that what a test machine is for? Testing?

I think we're at a stand still. I don't have a test environment and I don't see the issue on my machine. I acknowledge that I installed WEmail 2012 clean, not on top of 2011. So, since I cannot reproduce the issue and you aren't willing to follow my suggested testing then I cannot assist any further.

One thing I could test was using the different fields. I was wrong when I said in another post that you need a To: recipient. All other iterations of MS mail clients (Internet Mail, OE, WinMail) and nearly every other client I can recall, required a recipient in the To: field. Appearantly WEmail 2012 allows recipients in any field without requiring a To: recipient. That was a long time coming and a thankful change.

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2013   #26
robinb9

Windows 7 Pro 32/64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit/64bit
 
 

[QUOTE=Slartybart;2313417]Ok I guess I can't follow your testing.

Here's what I understand
Win7 machines with WLM 2011 -> upgraded to WEmail 2012.
You cannot send to categories - I'm unclear on this and suggested a testing methodology to help me understand
You rolled back all Win7 machines to WLM 2011 and you can send to categories
You installed WEmail fresh on a Win8 machine and it worked until you closed WEmail and relaunched
--> a subsequent close and relaunch resolved it - but it's flaky
You have no more Win7 test machines
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
I just checked the test computer I have of windows 7. I was incorrect. I was not sure but I did install WLM 2011 on it so I have no more computers to test for you
.....One thing, If you leave 2012 open then you can send group contacts just fine
Close the program, reopen- then it is the luck of the draw or the day of the week
But isn't that what a test machine is for? Testing?

I think we're at a stand still. I don't have a test environment and I don't see the issue on my machine. I acknowledge that I installed WEmail 2012 clean, not on top of 2011. So, since I cannot reproduce the issue and you aren't willing to follow my suggested testing then I cannot assist any further.

Well I would have to uninstall Windows 7, and reinstall it to test for you, that I have no time for, I have a business to run and I am lucky I have time to each lunch and dinner, reinstalling would take about an hour, then about another hour to put on all of windows updates, then see if WLM 2012 works on it, the other problem is that it is speratic, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not, you can open it and walla it goes- minimize it, go back to it hours later and it doesn't go. Close it and re open it, on and off it goes. Log out of WLM- again it goes on and off- Log back in- no go. 2012 needs a major rehaul, but when you put it over 2011 that is when it is worse, and you cannot actually uninstall it because it holds everything in the registry so when you go back and uninstall 2012 all your emails, and contacts are still there.
Putting it over 2011, no matter what you do you cannot send the group contact (catagory)-none of the tricks or work around work.
Putting it on Fresh with no prior 2011 it does this problem but you can get it to go if you do the stuff I said above but that is a total waste of time. and most of us do not have the time to play with it

and i do not have the time to sit at it every day to see which time it is not working. when I want it to work it does not.

One thing I could test was using the different fields. I was wrong when I said in another post that you need a To: recipient. All other iterations of MS mail clients (Internet Mail, OE, WinMail) and nearly every other client I can recall, required a recipient in the To: field. Appearantly WEmail 2012 allows recipients in any field without requiring a To: recipient. That was a long time coming and a thankful change.

that works in 2011 also




Bill, I understand you would like to help and try to fix this and I appreciate all the help but I think only Microsoft has to figure this out, and there are enough complaints at their WLM forum of people having the same problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2013   #27
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

There's no reason to uninstall Windows 7. This is a mail client upgrade issue, not a Win7 issue.

Please do not bold everything.

MS isn't going to put a whole lot of resources on a product that is going away. They have Win8 and Blue, plus other revenue sources that compete for resources. Mail app is on Win8 - MS is going to the centralized computing model (the cloud). Outlook.com replaced Hotmail and Skype replaced Messenger. There's a whole lot of flux in MS. Sync, mesh, Skydrive - lots of changes... lots of attention and resources devoted NOT to mail.

You can wait for MS to fix a feature seldom used outide of business, or you can install WEmail 2012 clean. The complexity of software today is making the clean install option the only way to fix many things. Flash has uninstall install instructions when it's uninstaller doesn't clean up properly, most Malware vendor aslo provide a garbage collector. I am not saying a clean install of Windows, only the offending application.

This is not what you posted before and this is not my experience. A fresh install works without any fiddling.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
..... Putting it on Fresh with no prior 2011 it does this problem but you can get it to go if you do the stuff I said above but that is a total waste of time. and most of us do not have the time to play with it .....
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
..... Also this does NOT happend if you are putting the program on for the first time and not doing an upgrade ....
Side note: make sure the text you are quoting is between the [QUOTE=username;postid] --quoted text-- [/QUOTE] BBcode tags. That way you don't have to use bold which looks as though you're yelling.

I will unsubscribe form this thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2013   #28
robinb9

Windows 7 Pro 32/64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit/64bit
 
 

Sorry I just wanted you to see my answers. I thought you would see it better if I bolded it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 There is a bug in Windows Live Mail Essentials 2012 as an upgrade




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cannot install Windows Live Essentials 2012
Here's the latest in a long series of unsolvable problems where Windows Essentials 2012 can not be installed. The repeated error message - error 0x80040609 - source WLX suite Installation stops when installing Messenger. There are no previous Messenger installations on the computer. ...
Software
Cannot install Windows Live Essentials 2012
Cannot install Windows Live Essentials 2012 Here's the latest in a long series of unsolvable problems where Windows Essentials 2012 can not be installed. The repeated error message - error 0x80040609 - source WLX suite Installation stops when installing Messenger. There are no previous...
Software
Export mail and contacts from Outlook 2007 to Windows live mail 2012?
I have an Windows (Vista) notebook with outlook 2007, and now I have an new notebook with Windows 8.1. Where I want to export my mail & contact to Windows live mail, how can I import this in WLM on my other notebook? I already have configure my mail on WLM where I can receive and send messages....
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail 2012
Trying to add a new email address, my first email address works ok, but after i added another it worked ok once but now brings up errors. Tried re entering my details many times but no joy. Any help would be appreciated. Is it anti virus issue or firewall problem? and i'm using Yahoo
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail/Essentials Beta
Good news- A short time ago, I got a beta version of WLM which had the ribbon like Office. Bad news - A short time after installing it, I fried C: drive, and somehow managed to erase everything on my data drive too - not a good day at all. Current news - I cannot remember where I got/find...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App