I don't know that I've ever noticed a problem with Java, but since late February, that's all I've had when using Firefox.
I'm pretty much a "get the latest updates and keep going" user, so I never really paid attention to what I was running.
Then a couple weeks ago I updated to Java 7-something, 10.15.2.3. Ugh, disaster. Go to a page that had some java content and boom, my broswer froze. With patience, it woudl come back in a few minutes, but the java functionality would not be there, although it woudl be on the same page viewed in IE.
I have tried everything mentioned on How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?
and in links from that page. In fact, in each case, my settings were as recommended. Basically the only thing I found that I'd not tried was emptying the java cache, but that fixed nothing either.
I'm posting here rather than in a Firefox or Java forum because I have seen this question asked in those places, with no good answers, and hoping I get better results here.
Whatever my configuration was when the problem started, current configuration is:
- 32-bit Windows 7 at work, 64-bit at home
- FF 19.0 at both places
- Java SE7 U17 10.17.2.2
As I said, through this all Java continues to work with IE. But since the problems - which I'd never had before - began about two weeks ago, nothing I've tried, including wholly uninstalling Java, rebooting, then downloading the latest (or downloading Java 6), has worked.