Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2 IE 9 icons on taskbar

18 Apr 2013   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
2 IE 9 icons on taskbar

Hi,

I was having problems with .avi files and wmp, so I uninstalled the update KB2670838 (IE 10?)

Windows Update - kb2670838 - WMP can not play .mp4 files - Microsoft Community

Now avi files play fine, the problem is that everytime I click on the ie icon (the one next to the start button), it opens another icon on taskbar. how can i fix this ??




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Apr 2013   #2

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymikey View Post
Hi,

I was having problems with .avi files and wmp, so I uninstalled the update KB2670838 (IE 10?)

Windows Update - kb2670838 - WMP can not play .mp4 files - Microsoft Community

Now avi files play fine, the problem is that everytime I click on the ie icon (the one next to the start button), it opens another icon on taskbar. how can i fix this ??

The only thing I can think of is this: close Internet Explorer and then right-click the one on the right and pin it to the Taskbar. Then right-click the one on the left and unpin it. The reason I'm recommending that you close it first is due to how both icons show as being open which tells me that they are in no way separate from each other. However, I feel that this is worth a shot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymikey View Post
Hi,

I was having problems with .avi files and wmp, so I uninstalled the update KB2670838 (IE 10?)

Windows Update - kb2670838 - WMP can not play .mp4 files - Microsoft Community

Now avi files play fine, the problem is that everytime I click on the ie icon (the one next to the start button), it opens another icon on taskbar. how can i fix this ??

The only thing I can think of is this: close Internet Explorer and then right-click the one on the right and pin it to the Taskbar. Then right-click the one on the left and unpin it. The reason I'm recommending that you close it first is due to how both icons show as being open which tells me that they are in no way separate from each other. However, I feel that this is worth a shot.
i just fixed it. i unpinned? the one on the left and then repin it from the start menu lol -.-
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Apr 2013   #4

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymikey View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymikey View Post
Hi,

I was having problems with .avi files and wmp, so I uninstalled the update KB2670838 (IE 10?)

Windows Update - kb2670838 - WMP can not play .mp4 files - Microsoft Community

Now avi files play fine, the problem is that everytime I click on the ie icon (the one next to the start button), it opens another icon on taskbar. how can i fix this ??

The only thing I can think of is this: close Internet Explorer and then right-click the one on the right and pin it to the Taskbar. Then right-click the one on the left and unpin it. The reason I'm recommending that you close it first is due to how both icons show as being open which tells me that they are in no way separate from each other. However, I feel that this is worth a shot.
i just fixed it. i unpinned? the one on the left and then repin it from the start menu lol -.-
Oh, that works too. I wasn't thinking because closing IE makes the one on the right disappear. I should have had you pin that one, close IE, and then unpin the one on the left.

Oh well. You do nice work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2013   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymikey View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

The only thing I can think of is this: close Internet Explorer and then right-click the one on the right and pin it to the Taskbar. Then right-click the one on the left and unpin it. The reason I'm recommending that you close it first is due to how both icons show as being open which tells me that they are in no way separate from each other. However, I feel that this is worth a shot.
i just fixed it. i unpinned? the one on the left and then repin it from the start menu lol -.-
Oh, that works too. I wasn't thinking because closing IE makes the one on the right disappear. I should have had you pin that one, close IE, and then unpin the one on the left.

Oh well. You do nice work.
yea, i tried that too, but the one one the right was different, when i right click on it, it wasnt showing the same as options as normal ie (like open new tab or inprivate browsing), instead it was showing open ie 64bits and some other option i cant check now

thanks , how can i add reps?? i cant see it anymore.. is it gone for good?

edit: nvm just saw it above lol im so lost
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2013   #6

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymikey View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by qwertymikey View Post

i just fixed it. i unpinned? the one on the left and then repin it from the start menu lol -.-
Oh, that works too. I wasn't thinking because closing IE makes the one on the right disappear. I should have had you pin that one, close IE, and then unpin the one on the left.

Oh well. You do nice work.
yea, i tried that too, but the one one the right was different, when i right click on it, it wasnt showing the same as options as normal ie (like open new tab or inprivate browsing), instead it was showing open ie 64bits and some other option i cant check now

thanks , how can i add reps?? i cant see it anymore.. is it gone for good?
I don't know, but all I'm concerned about is arriving at the solution!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 2 IE 9 icons on taskbar




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 2 IE 9 icons on taskbar
Thread Forum
problem with icons on taskbar (wrong icons or missing icons) Performance & Maintenance
Win 7 taskbar all icons from start menu on taskbar General Discussion
Solved incorrect icons showing when customising taskbar icons General Discussion
taskbar icons General Discussion
TaskBar Icons Constantly Changing My Icons For Chrome any Help? General Discussion
taskbar icons General Discussion
Taskbar icons with custom lists, or different taskbar "modes"? Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33