I downloaded IE10 for Windows 7 (Preview?...can't remember) a few months ago. All of a sudden about three weeks ago, I started getting the Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working message EVERY TIME I opened IE (but no crash to desktop, the page would reload every time). I read an old thread here and a forum member (now expelled?) suggested that a add-0n might be causing the problem. So I went to TOOLS, then MANAGE ADD-ON'S, and basically disabled everything except Adobe flash and Reader. Then tried opening IE. Voila! No 'Stopped' message! Then I re-enabled Google toolbar (NOTE: When you click ENABLE for Google toolbar, a message pops up telling you that Google Tool bar Helper will be enabled also if box checked....it shows you the box...REMOVE the check and enable only the Google Tool bar). Bingo! Google tool bar is now enabled and message still gone. So yes, try disabling all but Adobe features and then enable other crap one by one until you replicate the error and you'll find your culprit. But i'm betting for me it was the Google Tool Bar HELPER. So far so good. if the dreaded message re-appears, I'll update here.