|04 Jun 2013||#1|
Windows 7 64 bit issue with IE9 32bit
I'm having an issue on my kids PC. A couple of games call IE9 32bit for them to log into the online multiplayer games. The problem is that something was accidently changed on the IE9 32bit where it now only tries to download webpages instead of opening them, and it asks to "save" the htm as a file. IE9 64 bit works fine. I've done the following to try and fix this issue:
1) I've run both Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and the system shows up clean.
2) I've ran inetcpl.cpl and reset IE9 to factory settings.
3) I've gone into Control Panel->Programs and Features->turn windows features on or off,then turned off IE9, rebooted, and reverted to IE8. IE8 32bit does the same download ofwebpages as IE9 32bit.
4) Turned IE9 back on and rebooted. Was able to get to the tools/internet options on initialstartup if IE9 32bit. I deleted cookies, files, offline content. I deleted all temporary files, objects, cleared forms and passwords. I went to the advanced tab and reset to factory defaults. I was thinking that "Working offline" was selected but it wasn't. Rightas I finished the setup for IE9 32bit, it immediately went to downloading a webpage as a file (the webpage is www.msn.com).
5) I've done the Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Internet Explorer without add-ons, still tries to download the webpage.
6) I uninstalled IE9, reinstalled IE8, still same problem with IE8. Then I reinstalled IE9,same issue.
It was suggested that I look at the registry and do the following:
"If you received this error after uninstalling any application that takes over the HTML open command (including, but not limited to, Chrome & Firefox browsers) you may also need to change the HTM/HTML association in the registry.
Start, click Run, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html Right click the value for the .html key and select Modify… Change the value from “ChromeHTML” to “htmlfile” (or from FireFoxHTML to htmlfile)
Repeat for .htm, shtml, .xht, .xhtml, .xhtm keys Repeat these steps for htm and .shtml keys if they exist. You may also want to check the xhtml and xhtm keys.Odds are something fudged the file extension associations for htm/html files, so it's trying to save them instead of open them.
I think I fix this at least twice a week from people installing Chrome by accident "
When I browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\ there are no .htm, .html, etc.
There is just a .pref and a .WIN32.
Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\ all the .htm, html, etc. are set correctly.
I also checked under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and everything is set correctly there as well.
What is strange is that it recognizes msn_com.htm as an HTML Document but it prompts me to save this file.
|My System Specs|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Similar help and support threads|
Hardware Reserved Memory Issue (2.5gb Usable out of 8gb) WIN 7 32bit
SPECs: Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 1/22/2008 Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB Adapter Description: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Adapter RAM: 512.00 MB...
|Performance & Maintenance|
IE 8 32bit display issue
Hey, First post here. Had a look around trying to find an answer for this.. Suddenly my IE 8 32bit is not working properly. Below the tab bar, where the website is displayed, it's just grey. Websites will load, but nothing is there except grey. It doesn't even show the 'cannot display the...
|Browsers & Mail|
Windows 7 32bit Hard drive issue...
After finally upgrading to windows 7, I am having a issue with a IDE drive. Everything is up and running just fine but when I try to hook up a old ide drive with lots of "stuff" on it, windows 7 won't load correctly. It will just get stuck at the load screen and never get to the desktop. ...
|Hardware & Devices|
Windows 7 Home Pre. 32bit clean install reboot issue
Howdy, I'm trying to install Win 7 HP on my computer and It gets through everything until it has to reboot, the first reboot works, and the second time it reboots it says that the computer didn't shut down properly. It goes to a blue screen (not of death) for a little bit but It goes by too...
|Installation & Setup|
Vista 32bit to Win 7 64 bit issue
I have an Acer 4520 with the Turion 64 X2 2.2 Ghz processor and 3Gb Ram. I have attempted to instal both Win7 64 bit and XP and neither will be accepted. The error shows a incompatible floater stating cannot run 64 bit and has quit the process. There is nothing in BIOS that allows me to boot from...
|Installation & Setup|
WMC issue RC-32bit on HTPC
I am using a home group. I have the media stored on main computer. On the HTPC I can play the videos with Windows Media PLayer... However in WMC they will not play. I can see the Icons and they show the spalsh screen but when I try to play them the screen just looks the the default WMC...
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:55.