Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Chrome crashes when I try to open a hyperlink from My Email client


23 Aug 2013   #1

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 
Chrome crashes when I try to open a hyperlink from My Email client

Ok, when I open my email client, whatever it may be I had an email from someone that had a HTTP link to a forum for me. When I click on this link, Google Chrome, my default browser tries to open the link, but all that happens is my extensions in Chrome all report crashing in the bottom right corner and they all start closing one by one with the report that they are all crashed. Why does this happen in Chrome if the browser is closed when I try to open the link? If the Chrome browser is open when I click on the link everything works fine, but if the Chrome browser is closed and I try to open this link from let's say Outlook 2010 the Chrome browser and all extensions start crashing .

My OS is Windows 7 HP x64. Chrome is my default browser.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Aug 2013   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by julio99 View Post
Ok, when I open my email client, whatever it may be I had an email from someone that had a HTTP link to a forum for me. When I click on this link, Google Chrome, my default browser tries to open the link, but all that happens is my extensions in Chrome all report crashing in the bottom right corner and they all start closing one by one with the report that they are all crashed. Why does this happen in Chrome if the browser is closed when I try to open the link? If the Chrome browser is open when I click on the link everything works fine, but if the Chrome browser is closed and I try to open this link from let's say Outlook 2010 the Chrome browser and all extensions start crashing .

My OS is Windows 7 HP x64. Chrome is my default browser.

Sorry I don't have the answer but I think I know what's going on, and it might spark
a solution for the problem.

I believe the problem lays in the parent/child process relationship.
When you open the link from within Outlook than Outlook is the parent of that process,
in this case its Chrome, When you launch Chrome using a shortcut than it is Explorer.exe
that owns that process now.

It could be a bug or a security constraint built-in on purpose.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2013   #3

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

You see, I just clicked on the link that was in the email message you sent from the forum and beings that the email client I used was built into the Chrome browser it opened no problem. Now if I would have used Outlook from Microsoft and the browser was still closed, all HELL would've broke loose and Chrome would've crashed like crazy.

Someone mentioned disabling the sandbox that is built into Chrome, but when you do that Chrome lets out a scream that you are killing their security apparatus, don't touch! You can't win for losing on this deal. There has to be some setting I'm missing that doesn't cause crashing when you open links from Outlook and your browser isn't open.

I just made Firefox the Default browser for testing purposes. I opened Outlook, opened the message that you had sent and clicked on the link that directed me to Sevenforums.com and Firefox opened right up like it was supposed to, so I'm guessing that this is a Chrome issue, but is there a solution. I'd sure hate to think I'm the only guy in this world that uses Outlook and Chrome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Nov 2013   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I have the same issue.
I was running fine for a long time. Then the PC started acting slowly. I ran a virus scan (nothing), ran windows updates, defragmented the drive and now the PC is back to normal but this happens.
It did take a while for Outlook to start the first time I brought things back up but now that it is all caught up I don't have problems with that.
Not sure if that helps but this is a PIA - I guess I will switch to Firefox until this sorts itself out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2013   #5

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

No I have been trying to get this figured in any number of different forums, but all I've gotten is a lot of speculation, but no real answers. I myself believe it's a Chrome issue and to the one poster that said it might be a sandbox issue, I do believe he's right. What else could it be if it's not a security issue
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2013   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Julio - I seem to have solved it but I don't think you are going to like the answer much.

Remember I said I ran a virus scan (security essentials) and found nothing? Well I decided to run an alternative scan using a Linux system. I created an AVG rescue CD (PC Rescue and Repair Toolkit | Free Download | AVG), booted from that and ran a full scan. It found one virus (trojan horse generic downloader 13) and I removed it. Since then everything seems to be working fine. I'd suggest giving that a shot - it could be as simple as the reason it was giving problems was because it was protecting you, which would also tie in with the sandbox idea.

Hope that works for you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #7

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

I made the disk and ran it. First it ran to 53% and crashed. It was finding the same False positives that have been there forever. Avg is known for a lot of FP's. In the past anyway. Second, once I ran it I found I couldn't get out of the command line format without turning my machine off. Is that correct? Been a while since I have run a command line scan. The malware it came up with that I said was FP was stuff like a Keygen and a crack. It called the crack a broken digital signature. I do know that cracks and keygens are malware to a point because they are altered, however they are not all Trojans even though they classify them as droppers or whatever. I'm not sold on that scanner. I found it difficult to get it to cooperate like I said when I wanted to leave it or when I wanted to select the drives to scan. Let me know your thoughts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by julio99 View Post
...Been a while since I have run a command line scan.
I don't know what you mean. When you boot from the disk (or the USB key) you are presented with a menu. The first item on the menu is scan. There is no need to access the command line at all.

If you don't like the AVG scanner then try a different one. I used it because it's free and easy to use and, aparently, solved my problem.

The important thing is that you should run a virus scanner from outside of Windows - preferably using a completely different operating system.

Another alternative would be to install dual boot linux (e.g. Ubuntu) and then use something like ClamAV. I blogged about this some time ago here: Protect your PC with Linux (Dual-boot) | Houldsworth's Random Ramblings

Good luck!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #9

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by houldsworth1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by julio99 View Post
...Been a while since I have run a command line scan.
I don't know what you mean. When you boot from the disk (or the USB key) you are presented with a menu. The first item on the menu is scan. There is no need to access the command line at all.

If you don't like the AVG scanner then try a different one. I used it because it's free and easy to use and, aparently, solved my problem.

The important thing is that you should run a virus scanner from outside of Windows - preferably using a completely different operating system.

Another alternative would be to install dual boot linux (e.g. Ubuntu) and then use something like ClamAV. I blogged about this some time ago here: Protect your PC with Linux (Dual-boot) | Houldsworth's Random Ramblings

Good luck!!
I ran a scan with MBAM Malwarebytes and I have KIS 2013 installed so I have faith that I'm not infected. That AVG disk is run from the menu but basically it's like a command line scanner for use if you can't start Windows or you are stuck. I thought it was a little different. It has other tools also, so it's probably good for people that have faith in AVG, but as I said I have some good stuff installed and I do have faith in it. Glad it worked to straighten yours out, but the whole issue with Chrome and Outlook links opening and crashing Chrome like that sucks. I've also used the Chrome forum and never got an answer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2013   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by julio99 View Post
I ran a scan with MBAM Malwarebytes and I have KIS 2013 installed so I have faith that I'm not infected.
I think you may be missing my point.

I have MS Security Essentials installed and ran full scans with that AND with Malwarebytes. Neither of them reported any viruses. Only when I ran a scan outside of Windows did I get a hit.

So my point is this. If you are running a scan from within Windows then a system infected with a smart virus may not report accurately because the virus interferes with the scan. That cannot happen if you boot into Linux (boot from CD or USB drive) and run the scan from there. That is what the AVG rescue disk does for you.

Until you have run a scan from outside of Windows you cannot be sure that you don't have a virus regardless of which AV program you run.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Chrome crashes when I try to open a hyperlink from My Email client




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Chrome crashes when I try to open a hyperlink from My Email client
Thread Forum
Solved Use of hyperlink in email reply Browsers & Mail
Solved opening hyperlink should open in new window Browsers & Mail
Unable send clickable hyperlink from IE9 using default email Browsers & Mail
Mozilla ignores profile when opened via email/web hyperlink Browsers & Mail
How to force a hyperlink to open in IE? Browsers & Mail
W7x64 Email client? Browsers & Mail
Email Client Browsers & Mail

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33