Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I change IE download bar @ bottom to movable box like XP had?


27 Aug 2013   #1

Windows 7 Premium x64
 
 
Can I change IE download bar @ bottom to movable box like XP had?

Our office just switched over to Windows 7 and we have VERY little ability to alter things without admin settings.

I'm used to the "save file" being a dialog box that I could move around the page to any position I wanted it to be, but apparently Windows 7 has this bar glued to the bottom of the page.

Needless to say, going from a file at the top of the page down to the bottom to "save as" to put it where I actually want it (omg I hate the automatic 'stick everything in Downloads' thing...), then back UP to the top to close the tab is KILLING my wrist. In two days it hurts more than it has in a month.

Is there ANY way to move that download file bar? Is it possible to restore it to the movable box we had in XP?

And if there is, can I do it without admin rights?

(Also having problems with the snap-to default button thing not working, but from my research here, that looks like a registry edit. Which I'm sure they don't plan on doing because saving my wrist isn't anything they care one bit about. I'm kind of screwed there...)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Aug 2013   #2

Win-7 Home Prem 64-bit 7601 Free SP1
 
 

As far as where downloads go besides the downloads folder,
You can alter where they download but not on a file by file basis,
Unless you use Save target as, then you get the conventional dialog box,
Use Ctrl+J to open the downloads folder or Gear symbol on the top right and View downloads,
Click on Options on the bottom left.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2013   #3

Windows 7 Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
As far as where downloads go besides the downloads folder,
You can alter where they download but not on a file by file basis,
Unless you use Save target as, then you get the conventional dialog box,
Use Ctrl+J to open the downloads folder or Gear symbol on the top right and View downloads,
Click on Options on the bottom left.
That's actually the part I've got worked out pretty well - even with the stupid bar, if I change the drop-down to "Save as" instead of just "Save" I can put the file where I want it instead of in "Downloads".

My problem is the bar itself - in my job, there's one web-based program we use that has an "inbox" with links to PDF files. The link to the file itself is up towards the top of the page. When you click on that link, it gives the option to open or save.

Before, when there was the dialogue box, it popped up close to where the file was and snap-to automatically moved my cursor pointer to it. NOW, instead of the nice little box, there's that idiotic bar all the way down at the bottom of the screen, which means moving the mouse from the top of the screen down to the bottom to save, then BACK up to the top to close the tab. That's a lot of extra movement and after having to save twenty of these files yesterday my wrist HURT.

I want to know if there's any way to get rid of the bar and go back to the box. AND, is there a way to get snap-to to actually work again. I've tried the 'stay perfectly still' advice, but it just doesn't snap at all. I hope someone can help...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Aug 2013   #4

Win-7 Home Prem 64-bit 7601 Free SP1
 
 

Changing or moving the dialog box is way out of my realm of knowledge ?
Possibly there will be someone who a versed in the registry which can help,
Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2013   #5

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by penemuel View Post
....I want to know if there's any way to get rid of the bar and go back to the box. AND, is there a way to get snap-to to actually work again. I've tried the 'stay perfectly still' advice, but it just doesn't snap at all. I hope someone can help...
You can thank those that write malware for the way that IE9 and above handles the download box. The "new and improved" box that you see is more secure than the old style (moveable) dialog box. I doubt that snap to will ever work with the new dialog box... The new box is meant to keep other programs (like malware) from interacting with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2013   #6

Windows 7 Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by penemuel View Post
....I want to know if there's any way to get rid of the bar and go back to the box. AND, is there a way to get snap-to to actually work again. I've tried the 'stay perfectly still' advice, but it just doesn't snap at all. I hope someone can help...
You can thank those that write malware for the way that IE9 and above handles the download box. The "new and improved" box that you see is more secure than the old style (moveable) dialog box. I doubt that snap to will ever work with the new dialog box... The new box is meant to keep other programs (like malware) from interacting with it.
*cries* Between the folks writing malware messing with this and the drug dealers keeping me from being able to buy more than 1 box of 12-hour Sudafed at a time I'm getting awfully fed up with being punished for the bad guys who don't give a darn...

But unfortunately that does make a lot of sense. Looks like I'll be using my pen tablet a LOT more and making sure I have my wrist brace at work...

Thanks for the answer, even if it wasn't the one I wanted to hear!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I change IE download bar @ bottom to movable box like XP had?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Can I change IE download bar @ bottom to movable box like XP had?
Thread Forum
Movable toolbars like in XP/Vista General Discussion
Quick Launch Toolbar, any way to change icon top/bottom margins? Customization
Solved How to display download bar and bottom of the screen Browsers & Mail
Solved Download Dialog Box at Bottom??? Looks Like Vista??? General Discussion
Is there a way to change the bottom spacing of the title bar? Customization
, there's a download bar on the bottom with an orange stripe on top Software
Are backups movable from HDD to HDD Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33