Call me a broken record. I still have to disable protected mode.
I have a fast way of checking for updates to Flash without saving a bookmark of my own or navigating from links posted here.
1. Open Control Panel.
2. Navigate to System and Security.
3. Find an object in there called Flash Player (32 bit). Open it.
4. This launches the Flash Player Settings Manager.
5. Go to the Advanced tab of the Flash Player Settings Manager.
6. Click the Check Now button near the bottom.
This opens your browser to a page on Adobe's web site. It shows the version number of the Flash you have installed and a table of various software products & the latest version of Flash for each. There is also a link on the page to take you to the Flash download page (where you have to be careful to disable the McAfee Security Scan Plus option if you don't want it, which I don't).
Anyway, the Flash animation on that page at Adobe, the one with the bouncing cube, doesn't play if I have protected mode enabled, and it plays if I disable protected mode. Some century they may get this fixed.