Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Internet Explorer 11 fails to open PDF link

22 Nov 2013   #1
Deny3

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Internet Explorer 11 fails to open PDF link

I recently updated to Explorer 11, works fine but for one problem, when I try to open a site which is a pdf link it fails to open, I get the message there is a problem with this page. I had the same prob. With Explorer 10, but Explorer 9 works just fine.
I have Windows 7, 64 bit. Would like to keep now version if I can solve this.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Nov 2013   #2
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

What PDF reader are you using?

Do you have EPM enabled?
Internet Explorer 10 - Enable 32-bit or 64-bit IE10 in Windows 7
(IE11 has the same EPM setting.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2013   #3
Deny3

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

I am using PDF Complete Corporate Edition 4.1.45

Followed your instructions but the problem still persists...

I had no problems like this in IE 9, but the same problem occurred in IE 10
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Nov 2013   #4
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Sorry that I was not clear. I was only asking if you had EPM enabled. I was not asking you to enable it. (That said, you are safer with it enabled. You might as well leave it enabled.)

Is there a setting within PDF Compete to display the PDF in its own window (as opposed to displaying it inside the browser)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2013   #5
robertwnielsen

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
What PDF reader are you using?

Do you have EPM enabled?
Internet Explorer 10 - Enable 32-bit or 64-bit IE10 in Windows 7
(IE11 has the same EPM setting.)
Actually, UsernameIssues, IE11 in Windows 7 doesn't have EPM. Here's a link to an article about all the features that IE11 for Win 7 doesn't have:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-7/mi...r-11-windows-7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2013   #6
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Thanks for the link. I'll have to study on this some more.

IE11 does offer an option with that name.
It is off by default - which creates 32 bit children from the parent process.

Turning that option on and then restarting the computer will cause the parent process to spawn 64bit children. Which enables ALSR to sprinkle the process in a larger area of RAM for greater security. Perhaps there is a lot more to EPM and that is why the article linked to states that IE11 does not have this feature.

In the context of this thread - spawning 64bit children can create issues with apps that do not have 64bit plug-ins. I'm not sure what PDF Complete has - hence my question about the status of that option.

-ie11-epm.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2013   #7
robertwnielsen

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Thanks for the link. I'll have to study on this some more.

IE11 does offer an option with that name.
It is off by default - which creates 32 bit children from the parent process.

Turning that option on and then restarting the computer will cause the parent process to spawn 64bit children. Which enables ALSR to sprinkle the process in a larger area of RAM for greater security. Perhaps there is a lot more to EPM and that is why the article linked to states that IE11 does not have this feature.

In the context of this thread - spawning 64bit children can create issues with apps that do not have 64bit plug-ins. I'm not sure what PDF Complete has - hence my question about the status of that option.

Attachment 294562
That's interesting, because I've looked in my IE11, and don't see that option. And every article I've looked at says that EPM is not in the Windows 7 version of IE11.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2013   #8
ThrashZone

Win-7 H-Prem-x64 Linux-M-Mate-x64
 
 

32 bit machines do not have EPM at all,
So this is a 64 bit feature, ie10 is no different,
But what is universal in ie9-10-11 is that GPU rendering is enabled and usually interrupts utilities like reader xi or any other reader of pdf's,
Switch to Software rendering,
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149063-internet-explorer-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html
If you need to switch to software rendering you'll most likely have a bad experience with ie11 because it's heavy on gpu usage,
You'll be better off rolling back to ie10,
Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2013   #9
robertwnielsen

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
32 bit machines do not have EPM at all,
So this is a 64 bit feature, ie10 is no different,
But what is universal in ie9-10-11 is that GPU rendering is enabled and usually interrupts utilities like reader xi or any other reader of pdf's,
Switch to Software rendering,
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149063-internet-explorer-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html
If you need to switch to software rendering you'll most likely have a bad experience with ie11 because it's heavy on gpu usage,
You'll be better off rolling back to ie10,
Cheers.
Interesting, ThrashZone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2013   #10
ThrashZone

Win-7 H-Prem-x64 Linux-M-Mate-x64
 
 

Thanks,
A possible solution to the software rendering switch is to check for video card driver updates,
Intel has had a pretty good record for offering these updated drivers but as anything they loose interest in older hardware because as everyone knows there isn't much money in supporting old equipment,
Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Internet Explorer 11 fails to open PDF link




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Juniper network connect fails with internet explorer 11
Hello, I have windows 7 OS and network connect 7.1.14. My Network connect was working fine when I had internet explorer 9. But when I did windows update, I got internet explorer 11 and since then my network connect is not working. Its not going forward from host checker.. Continuously...
System Security
Internet Explorer 8 update always fails after a reinstall
I just remembered this so i wanted to bring it to the experts attention , every re install i ever did i always noticed internet Explorer 8 update fails , all other updates go smoothly though and i currently use internet Explorer 11 . This is when i am doing nearly 160 updates after a reinstall...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update to Internet Explorer 11 Fails, Error 9C47
Hello all, I'm running a custom built computer that doesn't seem to want to update to IE 11 (or 10 for that matter). I'm running IE 9.0.8112.16421 currently. The error code I get from the Windows Update is 9C47. I then get a link to install prerequisites which either don't apply to my machine,...
Windows Updates & Activation
BSOD while using Internet Explorer, and mini usb wifi TP-Link
I constantly have BSOD recently while using IE. I have a driver error report and I guess it may be caused by mini usb wifi TP-Link TL-WN725N. Here is my SF file created by SF Diagnostic Tool as guided. Thanks in advance.
BSOD Help and Support
Internet Explorer 10 fails to work on my Windows 7 x64 machine
I am having tremendous difficulty getting the new Internet Explorer to work. The installation process works flawlessly but once I click the IE icon, a brief white box (I assume this is the outline of the actual browser) pops up and then disappears. These are the steps I have taken so far to...
Browsers & Mail
Internet explorer 9 problem after opening link in gmail
Hi all, If I read a message in gmail (internet explorer 9) and it has a hyperlink in the message, I click on that link. A new tab opens and I can view the contents. Also I can click on other links on that new tab. So far so good. Putting a new address (address bar) in that tab puts the...
Browsers & Mail

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App