Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Thunderbird Links don't work

07 Aug 2014   #1

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Thunderbird Links don't work

I've been trying to read some of my newsletters and I decided to click on one of the links that takes me down to the post (the bullets). This is what I get:

imgur: the simple image sharer

Normally it worked with the older version but I upgraded to Thunderbird 31.0 and it doesn't work anymore. Help?

(For a better understanding, try going to - 3 new articles and press on the first bullet location "FREE Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Cat Food Sample". Normally, it would take me to that post, but Thunderbird gives me the error in the Imgur pic above.)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Aug 2014   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Thunderbird links

Try right clicking the link instead then choose "Copy Link Location" from the menu. Then start your browser and paste into the address bar (Ctrl+V) and see if your browser gets the same error. If so then it's not a Thunderbird problem. Otherwise post that link here.

Additionally I'd mention a Thunderbird Add On that you can use to scan any link in an email before you click on it. You just right click to choose "Scan"

Search for it via the add ons manager and install it if you want to. It supplements your antivirus solution for scanning emails.

Thunderbird Links don't work-add-thunderbird.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2014   #3

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Try right clicking the link instead then choose "Copy Link Location" from the menu. Then start your browser and paste into the address bar (Ctrl+V) and see if your browser gets the same error. If so then it's not a Thunderbird problem. Otherwise post that link here.

Additionally I'd mention a Thunderbird Add On that you can use to scan any link in an email before you click on it. You just right click to choose "Scan"

Search for it via the add ons manager and install it if you want to. It supplements your antivirus solution for scanning emails.

Attachment 328483
When I right click on the first, I get this long line of code that's like "imap://(first part of name)%2Em%2E(last name)%40gmail%2Ecom@imap.googlemail.com:993/fetch%3EUID" and more boring stuff like that, rather than a regular link.

I got the Dr. Web Anti Virus Link Checker addon and tried making it scan one of the links, but it showed up to an error.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Aug 2014   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Copy link into browser

Questions:

What happens when you copy the link into your browser?

What happens if you skip Thunderbird and sign into your Gmail account then click the link that way?

Did you take the advice offered in your earlier question in another thread you started? - to reinstall Thunderbird but copy your existing Profiles folder and Profile.ini file to a backup location renaming them to:

Folder

Profiles Old

Profiles.in - Profiles.ini_old

Delete the existing profiles - uninstall then clean install Thunderbird.

I'd say if it's just the one link that's a problem then there's no problem with Thunderbird. However if that add on doesn't work for you then somethings not right so reinstall anyway!

Your reply scanned like this:

(Scan by right clicking the link - not the email)

Name:  Scan results.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  173.1 KB

So you inspect the link and scroll to read all the text before opening it using the "Link" button.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2014   #5

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Questions:

What happens when you copy the link into your browser?

What happens if you skip Thunderbird and sign into your Gmail account then click the link that way?

Did you take the advice offered in your earlier question in another thread you started? - to reinstall Thunderbird but copy your existing Profiles folder and Profile.ini file to a backup location renaming them to:

Folder

Profiles Old

Profiles.in - Profiles.ini_old

Delete the existing profiles - uninstall then clean install Thunderbird.

I'd say if it's just the one link that's a problem then there's no problem with Thunderbird. However if that add on doesn't work for you then somethings not right so reinstall anyway!

Your reply scanned like this:

(Scan by right clicking the link - not the email)

Attachment 328485

So you inspect the link and scroll to read all the text before opening it using the "Link" button.
Sorry for the delay.

I tried your suggestion of doing the anti virus scan again, it doesn't work. It gives me something from another language.

Copying and pasting the link doesn't help at all.

I don't know how to do the reinstall Thunderbird and delete the profiles or whatever.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2014   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Thunderbird issue

Well you didn't say what happens when you sign in to your email account via a browser. It would help to know if the link works correctly if you do that. That Dr Web should open in English once you can the link. If it doesn't - remove it. It works just fine for me!

Backup your Thunderbird profile anyway for a start:

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php - choose either version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2014   #7

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Well you didn't say what happens when you sign in to your email account via a browser. It would help to know if the link works correctly if you do that. That Dr Web should open in English once you can the link. If it doesn't - remove it. It works just fine for me!

Backup your Thunderbird profile anyway for a start:

MozBackup - Backup tool for Firefox and Thunderbird - choose either version.
Signing in on web browser, it works.

Why do I need to backup my profile? I'm backing it up right now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2014   #8

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I'm still getting the problem, not sure what else to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2014   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Profile backup

Well if you've managed to back up your profile it means that you can uninstall Thunderbird and reinstall it without losing your emails or any settings or extensions.

Assuming that you backed up:

Download the Portable version of Geek Uninstaller:

GeekUninstaller | GeekUninstaller

Run the executable "geek.exe" and highlight Thunderbird and double click to uninstall.

When it's been removed choose to delete all leftover files and registry entries.

Close the program when it finishes.

Additionally check the following locations and manually delete any Mozilla Thunderbird files or folders found.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird"

"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"

"C:\Users\Chris\USERNAME\Local\Thunderbird"

Then reboot.

Once you've done that try reinstalling Thunderbird.

Are you using Googlemail and if you are using it have you set up IMAP in your gmail account?

If you have set up IMAP in gmail use the account setup wizard in Thunderbird to connect to your account via IMAP.

I can help with the settings if needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2014   #10

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Well if you've managed to back up your profile it means that you can uninstall Thunderbird and reinstall it without losing your emails or any settings or extensions.

Assuming that you backed up:

Download the Portable version of Geek Uninstaller:

GeekUninstaller | GeekUninstaller

Run the executable "geek.exe" and highlight Thunderbird and double click to uninstall.

When it's been removed choose to delete all leftover files and registry entries.

Close the program when it finishes.

Additionally check the following locations and manually delete any Mozilla Thunderbird files or folders found.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird"

"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"

"C:\Users\Chris\USERNAME\Local\Thunderbird"

Then reboot.

Once you've done that try reinstalling Thunderbird.

Are you using Googlemail and if you are using it have you set up IMAP in your gmail account?

If you have set up IMAP in gmail use the account setup wizard in Thunderbird to connect to your account via IMAP.

I can help with the settings if needed.

I didn't start it yet because I just realized this: I have 2 different versions of Thunderbird: the recent version 31.0 and 24.1.1 version. Is that a problem, and should I uninstall both?


In my GMAIL settings I recently discovered something that might be wrong/corrupting something. I have both POP and IMAP turned on. Do I have to turn POP off?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Thunderbird Links don't work




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Thunderbird Links don't work
Thread Forum
Solved Link will not work in Thunderbird. Browsers & Mail
Solved Can't change erroneous protocol for HTML links in emails (Thunderbird) Browsers & Mail
html links in word do not work now Microsoft Office
IE8 web page links fail to work Browsers & Mail
Web links don't work under Win7 Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33