Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WLM 2012 Started Crashing when Sending Emails

25 Sep 2014   #1
nikki605

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
WLM 2012 Started Crashing when Sending Emails

Starting several days ago, WLM 2012 (16.4.3528.0331) began crashing when sending/forwarding emails. Not every time, maybe 10% of the time. I've posted an Event Viewer entry at the end of this post. This is on a Win7 Pro x64 desktop. I am current with all MS critical updates EXCEPT the 1 that showed up first thing Wednesday morning. With this WLM problem already present, I did not want to introduce another variable.


I looked back through the Event Viewer and found 4 occurrences:


09/15 - 1 10:00:14PM
09/23 - 1 7:07:38PM
09/24 - 2 10:37:39AM 2:23:04PM


After the 1st occurrence Wednesday morning, I went into Control Panel --> Uninstall or change a program --> Windows Essentials 2012 --> Repair all Windows Essentials programs. It did not help. Shortly after, I got the second error.


I have not installed any new programs or done any updates since before the first error on 09/15.

Here is the Event Viewer entry from the first error Wednesday, 09/24:


Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 09/24/2014 10:37:39 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: lenovoM83
Description:
Faulting application name: wlmail.exe, version: 16.4.3528.331, time stamp: 0x533a3fce
Faulting module name: MSMAIL.DLL, version: 16.4.3528.331, time stamp: 0x533a408a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002f015
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
Event Xml:
< Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-09-24T14:37:39.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>12835</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>lenovoM83</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>wlmail.exe</Data>
<Data>16.4.3528.331</Data>
<Data>533a3fce</Data>
<Data>MSMAIL.DLL</Data>
<Data>16.4.3528.331</Data>
<Data>533a408a</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>0002f015</Data>
</EventData>
< /Event>


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Sep 2014   #2
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Look in Windows Update (WU) and see if KB2909921 is installed.

If it is not, then please install it from here and update the status of the issue - thanks
Download Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 7 x64 Edition (KB2909921) from Official Microsoft Download Center
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #3
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

You'll have to take this step by step if the WU above doesn't resolve the issue.

I did a cursory serach for the issue and found this:
WLM 2012 Started Crashing when Sending Emails ? Question about Outlook Express

I'd appreciate it if you stay on one forum until the suggestions are exhausted. There's no problem looking of resolutions elsewhere, the problem is no one helping you on either forum knows what is being suggested and tried. It makes trouble shooting really difficult for all parties.

I see you have Norton
- is it configured to scan eMail?
- any recent updates to Norton? (besides virus definitions)

After following post# 2 and only if the problem persists:
Do these steps inside WLM
select all msgs in Outbox
move all eMail in the outbox to a new Storage folder.
Name the new folder: SendTemp
Close WLM
Launch WLM and test receive mail.

Let me know the status - thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Sep 2014   #4
nikki605

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Look in Windows Update (WU) and see if KB2909921 is installed.

If it is not, then please install it from here and update the status of the issue - thanks
Download Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 7 x64 Edition (KB2909921) from Official Microsoft Download Center
KB2909921 was not installed. I read here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2909921 that the update for security bulletin MS14-010 had been replaced by a newer update. But, I went ahead and downloaded the msu at the link you provided. When I tried to install it, I got the message: The update is not applicable to your computer.

Yes, that is obviously my post on the MS Community Forum. Not to worry, the reply I got from them was to reinstall WLM. A pretty drastic and risky solution that I am not ready to attempt, yet. So I will continue to work the problem here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #5
nikki605

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
You'll have to take this step by step if the WU above doesn't resolve the issue.

I did a cursory serach for the issue and found this:
WLM 2012 Started Crashing when Sending Emails ? Question about Outlook Express

I'd appreciate it if you stay on one forum until the suggestions are exhausted. There's no problem looking of resolutions elsewhere, the problem is no one helping you on either forum knows what is being suggested and tried. It makes trouble shooting really difficult for all parties.

I see you have Norton
- is it configured to scan eMail?
- any recent updates to Norton? (besides virus definitions)

After following post# 2 and only if the problem persists:
Do these steps inside WLM
select all msgs in Outbox
move all eMail in the outbox to a new Storage folder.
Name the new folder: SendTemp
Close WLM
Launch WLM and test receive mail.

Let me know the status - thanks
Yes, Norton is set to scan emails. It always has been since before this problem started, so I don't see that as being the issue.
There have been no recent program version updates to Norton, only virus definitions.

Since your suggested KB wasn't needed, what else can you suggest?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #6
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Ok, I'm looking at the link I gave you, will post new info afterwards if applicable. There was an issue with HTML processing resolved by that update - it affected mail clients as well.

Did you try moving the mail out of the Outbox? No, go ahead and try that workaround until I get back to you.

Reinstalling WLM isn't that risky if you backup your data. I have a procedure that makes it pretty simple (I have to find a write up though)

Sometimes, a reinstall is all you can do to solve some issues with WLM (most times a WLM reapir will work, but....), let's me see what other options are available before you take that step.

Thanks,

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #7
nikki605

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

I have to correct a statement I made in my opening post. On 09/14, the day before the first crash, I installed 45 MS Windows/Office 2007 updates, a Lenovo Solution Center, Intel Graphics Driver and Adobe Air updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #8
nikki605

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Ok, I'm looking at the link I gave you, will post new info afterwards if applicable. There was an issue with HTML processing resolved by that update - it affected mail clients as well.

Did you try moving the mail out of the Outbox? No, go ahead and try that workaround until I get back to you.

Reinstalling WLM isn't that risky if you backup your data. I have a procedure that makes it pretty simple (I have to find a write up though)

Sometimes, a reinstall is all you can do to solve some issues with WLM (most times a WLM reapir will work, but....), let's me see what other options are available before you take that step.

Thanks,

Bill
.
There are no messages in the Outbox. The messages are being sent either before the crash or after WLM restarts when it recovers from the crash. I find them in the Sent folder, but with altered From fields. I can take a screen shot if you want, but I don't want to post it here as it would contain full names.

I should have pretty good backups of my messages, contacts & calendars. The contacts & calendars are synced to Windows Live in the cloud (mail.live.com). Then, to backup both those & my messages, I backup nightly to a local HDD:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #9
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

I couldn't determine if the HTML fix was included in superseded Security Windows Updates (WU) - I'm sure it was but rather than spend more time on that.

What is the critical update that you did not install?

Test turning off Norton mail scan - it's really a redundant feature of any AV program.
If the file is written to disk - the AV app should catch it during the write. If malware is already present on your system and it attempts to piggyback on eMail, then the AV app should catch it during a read.
AV apps all work differently and to conserve resources they might not test every read or write - that would really drag a system down, so they choose which paths/streams to test.

Anyway, if the move msgs from Outbox (essentially moving the problem from current msg processing) doesn't solve the issue - try disabling Norton mail scan. I might go as far as asking you to disable Norton as a test, but ... step-by-step and first things first.

I wouldn't leave your system unprotected, but would offer MSE as interim protection - again just to test.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #10
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nikki605 View Post
I have to correct a statement I made in my opening post. On 09/14, the day before the first crash, I installed 45 MS Windows/Office 2007 updates, a Lenovo Solution Center, Intel Graphics Driver and Adobe Air updates.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nikki605 View Post
There are no messages in the Outbox. The messages are being sent either before the crash or after WLM restarts when it recovers from the crash. I find them in the Sent folder, but with altered From fields. I can take a screen shot if you want, but I don't want to post it here as it would contain full names.

I should have pretty good backups of my messages, contacts & calendars. The contacts & calendars are synced to Windows Live in the cloud (mail.live.com). Then, to backup both those & my messages, I backup nightly to a local HDD:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
Ii understand about the screen shot and full eMail address - don't bother with what's already been sent.

Thanks for the mail.live.com info, I often forget about that connection since I run POP3 and do not sync IMAP folders.

Log on to your live.mail.com account and check the outbox there. Move anything found out of the way (put msgs in a new and separate folder, not a folder that would be included in a send operation)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue is sending mail, right? There has to be something to be sent ... or it's possible that the DB is corrupt. I like to try the easy things first - fixing the DB is more detailed and it's not always a solution.

+ edit
It's good to know that you have backups.
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail is the main client depository
Contacts are stored in D:\usr\wgr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Contacts
If you have any mail processing rules - they're only stored in the registry (I'd have to look up the key(s))
- edit

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WLM 2012 Started Crashing when Sending Emails




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Sending mail from the Outbox on WLM 2012
Hi I am using Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 7 64 bit. The program is set up to transfer finished mail to the Outbox before sending, to give me time to check it. However, when I open the Outbox the mail is there waiting to be sent BUT after a minute or so it sends itself without any input...
Browsers & Mail
Outlook 2010 Not sending emails
I have 3 POP/SMTP accounts and 1 MAPI (hotmail) account configured. The last couple of days they are presenting problems because they will not allow me to send an email. I have tried sending one email from any one of the three to the other, or any other recipient and the error is this: "Your...
Microsoft Office
Outlook 2010 not sending emails
I currently run Outlook 2010, I have already set up an email account. My problem is as follows; If I open Outlook, and wait till its fully loaded,i.e. its done a full sweep and downloaded any new emails, if I then try and send ( or even reply back to a new email, the following happens....
Microsoft Office
Windows Live Mail not sending emails through Comcast
All the WLM functions work except 'send'. Yep....I checked and the incoming and outgoing server addresses are OK. All the setup elements look ok...so where do I look from here?
Browsers & Mail
Outlook 2007 hangs on sending html emails in Windows 7
Hi I have been using Win7 64bit for around 2 weeks and previously was on Vista 32bit. Everything is pretty smooth except for Office 2007 Outlook. As far as it is, I have attempted to forward html emails but failed. Outlook will freeze and the round hourglass cursor will keep turning. Anymore...
Browsers & Mail
Outlook not sending emails.
I deleted my contact in my address book, but now when i try send an email, i get the following error message. Check Names- Microsoft Outlook doesn't recognize"....". (between " " is the email address i am trying to send it too) I have tried reinstalling Outlook, repairing the pst file but it...
Microsoft Office


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App