Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 losing user/pass info for sites

19 Dec 2014   #1
imaddicted2u

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Windows 7 losing user/pass info for sites

My Windows 7 usually remembers my bank info when I open the site in a browser but every so often I have to reenter the client info. Seems to happen sometimes after a reboot. Is there something I can do to correct this?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Dec 2014   #2
maxie

windows 7 home 64bit
 
 

You do not state which Browser you are using ? Some Websites turn off autocomplete for Security ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2014   #3
imaddicted2u

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Same happens in all the browsers I have installed. The info is saved and stays for a long time, so autocomplete is on, then for some reason I have to enter it again in the browsers. I use Firefox most of the time and sometimes IE and Chrome. I haven't nailed it down yet but I think it happens if I am restarting windows and either force a reboot, which I rarely do or if I hit cancel during a reboot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Dec 2014   #4
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Suggestion

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Same happens in all the browsers I have installed. The info is saved and stays for a long time, so autocomplete is on, then for some reason I have to enter it again in the browsers. I use Firefox most of the time and sometimes IE and Chrome. I haven't nailed it down yet but I think it happens if I am restarting windows and either force a reboot, which I rarely do or if I hit cancel during a reboot.
Personally I don't allow any browser to save passwords but if you need to log into a site and type the same information in several fields each time try Imacros for Firefox. Or if you can bear to use it try Dashlane.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...s-for-firefox/

Visit a site then start recording using Imacros and when you've logged in - stop recording and save the macro with a unique name. Next time you want to log in just play the macro for that site by selecting it from the list of macros.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2014   #5
imaddicted2u

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Same happens in all the browsers I have installed. The info is saved and stays for a long time, so autocomplete is on, then for some reason I have to enter it again in the browsers. I use Firefox most of the time and sometimes IE and Chrome. I haven't nailed it down yet but I think it happens if I am restarting windows and either force a reboot, which I rarely do or if I hit cancel during a reboot.
Personally I don't allow any browser to save passwords but if you need to log into a site and type the same information in several fields each time try Imacros for Firefox. Or if you can bear to use it try Dashlane.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...s-for-firefox/

Visit a site then start recording using Imacros and when you've logged in - stop recording and save the macro with a unique name. Next time you want to log in just play the macro for that site by selecting it from the list of macros.
I'm not saving passwords. It is usernames and other fields that are coming up blank.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2014   #6
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Saved passwords?

Re: I'm not saving passwords. It is usernames and other fields that are coming up blank.

Well the same logic applies. If you want you could use it to fill all fields that you select except passwords.

Re: Loosing Autofill across all browsers. That information isn't stored in one place for all browsers. It's browser specific. Also for login information it's possible that something clears all your cookies.

Why do you need to force reboots or cancel them? Sounds like you've got other issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2014   #7
imaddicted2u

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Re: I'm not saving passwords. It is usernames and other fields that are coming up blank.

Well the same logic applies. If you want you could use it to fill all fields that you select except passwords.

Re: Loosing Autofill across all browsers. That information isn't stored in one place for all browsers. It's browser specific. Also for login information it's possible that something clears all your cookies.

Why do you need to force reboots or cancel them? Sounds like you've got other issues.
Thanks,
Forcing a reboot is very rare, I only do it if the system seems hung for a long time after I've requested a restart or shutdown, which is very rare too. If I cancel a reboot it would be because I forgot to save file info, again very rare. I'm only assuming it's related to a shutdown/restart issue. It could go months and not lose the information. Then suddenly it's not there. I mainly use Firefox right now, but the last time the login info disappeared, I opened Internet Explorer and it was gone there too. So maybe that points to cookies. I don't use any utilities to purposely delete cookies though. I'll try to keep track and see if I can see a pattern.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2014   #8
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Firefox Backup

Thanks for the explanation. All I can say is that for firefox - just make a copy of your profile and if things ever screw up you can fully remove firefox then reinstall it and copy your old profile to the fresh install.

Just copy your Profiles folder and profiles.ini file somewhere in case you need to restore your data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2014   #9
imaddicted2u

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Thanks again, as a matter of fact, I did a Firefox profile backup yesterday and did a Firefox reset to resolve another issue. The reset cured the not responding and script errors I was getting that was slowing down the browser.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 losing user/pass info for sites




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
2 hard drives with different content - how to sync without losing info
I have thousands of photographs on 2 drives and always intended for the two drives to contain mirror copies but I'm a bit lax in applying myself so have ended up with "2011", "2012", "2013" and "2014" on both drives but there are photos on one drive that aren't on the other and vice versa. Short of...
General Discussion
remember pass for sites
I activated ability to remember passwords Firefox but when I enter the password the password is not stored
Software
More info about folders when mouse pass over them
When you put your mouse on a folder, without clicking on it, it'll tell you few things. Is there an app that modify this to make it show (much) more things?
General Discussion
Do sites save cookies and personal info to your account
I'm somewhat OCD and I don't like it when sites save information to my accounts/my name that I cannot control. I was wondering when I create a windows live msn email, log in, does it save information such as broswer i'm using, addons, past sites, how I got there. Identified with my account or is...
General Discussion
windows 7 won't ask me for user&pass but just deny access over LAN!
I've got a folder shared to specific user on my Windows 7 laptop. When i try to access that folder over lan, from my Vista laptop, it doesn't ask me for user&pass, but just gives "Access denied" error message. If it's set as shared to everyone, then i can access it just fine. But i want it to...
Network & Sharing
[help] no user/pass prompt please
Here's what I'm trying to do in short: win7client is trying to access win7server without any user/pass prompt. in details: On my win7client, I have AutoUnattend.xml that has firstlogon.cmd stored in \\win7server\share\firstlogon.cmd. Previously, win7server was winxpserver. There were no...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:01.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App