Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Replacing Google with 'DuckDudckGo' opinions sought

21 Dec 2014   #1
pintree3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 
Replacing Google with 'DuckDudckGo' opinions sought

Not long ago a Firefox update added 'DuckDudckGo' as a possible alternative to Google as a Search Engine.
If what it says is true then one could easily say goodbye and should say goodbye to Google.
What do you guys think of this search engine. Is it what it claims to be? Or should we use it with caution?
One doesn't know what to trust anymore when going online.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Dec 2014   #2
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
DuckDuckGo

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pintree3 View Post
Not long ago a Firefox update added 'DuckDudckGo' as a possible alternative to Google as a Search Engine.
If what it says is true then one could easily say goodbye and should say goodbye to Google.
What do you guys think of this search engine. Is it what it claims to be? Or should we use it with caution?
One doesn't know what to trust anymore when going online.
Well I'm using Cyberfox rather than Firefox but in any case DuckDuckGo is my default search engine. If I want to search using Google I use the encrypted version.

Replacing Google with 'DuckDudckGo' opinions sought-search-engine.jpg

The thing about DuckDuckGo is that you need to click the "Hamburger" icon to configure preferences.

Replacing Google with 'DuckDudckGo' opinions sought-duckduckgo.jpg

Really it's down to personal choice and privacy might be an issue for some users.

What do I think of Google? Pretty good most of the time but consider this:

Quote:
The size of the web is roughly 24 billion web pages. That's according to the latest estimates. The problem is that no one search engine cover the entire Web and maps it. Google displays approximately 8.1 billion web pages, Bing Search 5 billion, Yahoo and Ask both around 3.5 billion.
So Google excludes appoximately two thirds of the web which is either good or bad depending upon what you're trying to find.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #3
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post

Really it's down to personal choice and privacy might be an issue for some users.

What do I think of Google? Pretty good most of the time but consider this:

Quote:
The size of the web is roughly 24 billion web pages. That's according to the latest estimates. The problem is that no one search engine cover the entire Web and maps it. Google displays approximately 8.1 billion web pages, Bing Search 5 billion, Yahoo and Ask both around 3.5 billion.
So Google excludes appoximately two thirds of the web which is either good or bad depending upon what you're trying to find.
Callender:

Thanks for the comments.

A few questions:

Do we know how many of those 24 billion pages are found by DuckDuckGo?

As you see it, how do DuckDuckGo's security issues compare to Google? I've looked at it a bit, but was lost in marketing doublespeak and gobbledegook.

Do you prefer DuckDuckGo for any reason other than possibly security? I use Pale Moon. If I recall, DuckDuckGo is the default search tool in Pale Moon. I switched backed to Google, but I can't remember what I didn't like about DuckDuckGo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Dec 2014   #4
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Search Engines

@ ignatzatsonic

Well what I'm really saying is that my personal choice is to use privacy focused search engines where possible but having said that I revert to Google searches quite often and use a few other search engines too. I don't limit my searches to just one search provider depending upon what I'm looking for.

See a comparison here:

Best Search Engine: Google, Bing, and DuckDuckGo Compared! - Page 3 | Maximum PC

Google is the clear winner but the last page explains my reasons for not using it as my default search engine. DuckDuckGo also forces https where available.

How many pages does DuckDuckGo index? I don't know but you can probably imagine that it's significantly less than Google.

Malware in links? If the links are reported they're removed from DuckDuckGo search results. Additionally if a user wishes to enable WOT color coded search results they can enable that option here:

https://duckduckgo.com/settings# - near the bottom of "Appearance" tab.

So the bottom line is that yes I'm a Google fan and use their products but also try to keep privacy in mind when using them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #5
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Thanks for that.

I'm not rabidly anti-Google, but I am somewhat concerned about creeping Big Brother-ism in the form of Google or authoritarians in general. I don't like Google insinuating itself into every aspect of my life.

I don't use mobile devices at all and am not as bound up in Google as many are. I know of people who are constantly logged into Google accounts---100% of the time they are online, which is effectively all waking hours.

I briefly used Google Voice and supposedly still have a Google "account", which I never log into. I hope I got rid of Google Voice, but of course I have no idea to what extent I am tracked.

I still use Google Search and have a couple of anti-tracking apps installed, but of course don't really know to what extent I am under examination.

Nor do I know how much my web searching would suffer with DuckGoGo. I use Google Search probably 10 or 20 times a day.

And---as the link you provided says---your ISP still knows your history. And it's anyone's guess how easily they would cough that up, court orders or not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #6
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Google search results

Same for ut the results me really. Here's an example of Google search results for sevenforums dot com and results from another search engine that I sometimes use. It's not an English language search engine so I won't post it's name but the results are mostly displayed in English if available.

Google finds 583,000 results.

Replacing Google with 'DuckDudckGo' opinions sought-sevenforums.com-google-search.jpg

The other search engine finds 2,060.000 results

Replacing Google with 'DuckDudckGo' opinions sought-sevenforums.com-another-search-engine.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #7
djvisage

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I'd say, the best search engine (different than Google) is Ixquick Search Engine.

  • Private search engine
  • Highly anonymous search engine
  • Uses TLS 1.2
  • No history
  • Doesn't save, share or sell your info
  • Has one click web proxy to open each link with
  • Rich list of results
  • Owned by a Netherlands company (non-US based)


Ixquick's privacy practices have been awarded the highest possible rating by EuroPriSe, the European certifying authority.


Best and most secure SE ever!

For me this is end of story.


Either of those Duck or Ix will be waaaaay better than Google, Bing or any other junk!

Good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #8
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djvisage View Post


Either of those Duck or Ix will be waaaaay better than Google, Bing or any other junk!

Good luck!
Hmmm.......

Let's try it. I made my custom settings in IxQuick with no filtering.

Then I searched a known but fairly obscure person's name with IxQuick and Google.

IxQuick's response time wasn't as quick as Google, but within 2 seconds.

Google generated 3610 hits "anytime"; 5 in the last month; 35 in the last year. If you do an "anytime" search and go to the last page, at the bottom it says 262 were actually displayed, the others omitted because they were "very similar".

IxQuick generates 4590 "anytime"; none in the last month; none in the last year. If you go to the last page of the "anytime" search, the number of hits actually displayed is not mentioned, but by my count it appears to be between 250 and 300, about the same as Google.

Does that sound like a typical experience?

Only thing I don't understand is the lack of hits in the last month or year. I'd think it unlikely that IxQuick is that far behind in indexing, so I wonder if the zero hits for the last month and year are simply erroneous?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #9
djvisage

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djvisage View Post


Either of those Duck or Ix will be waaaaay better than Google, Bing or any other junk!

Good luck!
Hmmm.......

Let's try it. I made my custom settings in IxQuick with no filtering.

Then I searched a known but fairly obscure person's name with IxQuick and Google.

IxQuick's response time wasn't as quick as Google, but within 2 seconds.

Google generated 3610 hits "anytime"; 5 in the last month; 35 in the last year. If you do an "anytime" search and go to the last page, at the bottom it says 262 were actually displayed, the others omitted because they were "very similar".

IxQuick generates 4590 "anytime"; none in the last month; none in the last year. If you go to the last page of the "anytime" search, the number of hits actually displayed is not mentioned, but by my count it appears to be between 250 and 300, about the same as Google.

Does that sound like a typical experience?

Only thing I don't understand is the lack of hits in the last month or year. I'd think it unlikely that IxQuick is that far behind in indexing, so I wonder if the zero hits for the last month and year are simply erroneous?
IXquick is slow because it uses the highest possible encryption and the location is NL not US. While Google utilizes very high number of servers in pretty much every country and uses CDNs to faster deliver content, IXquick is not so big.
The numbers of the results seems pretty accurate. IXQuick uses results from different sources (not only Google), but primarily Google.
I believe it's not that far in indexing, but not listing the results as we would expect Google or Bing does.
Nobody has the access to the big players' search algorithms. This is just an alternative, which works for me.
So far I was able to find everything I searched for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #10
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djvisage View Post

IXquick is slow because it uses the highest possible encryption and the location is NL not US............


The numbers of the results seems pretty accurate. IXQuick uses results from different sources (not only Google), but primarily Google.

I believe it's not that far in indexing, but not listing the results as we would expect Google or Bing does.
Nobody has the access to the big players' search algorithms. This is just an alternative, which works for me.
So far I was able to find everything I searched for.
I have no problem at all with the speed. I can live with 2 seconds easily.

I'll probably continue to test drive it.

But I will not continue if it has severe indexing delays. It found as many hits as Google overall, but shows NONE in the last year for a random search term. That would be a show-stopper for me if it turns out to be typical.

And how would you ever know how good it is if you search for only relatively common stuff and pay little or no attention to how recent the results are? Getting 10 billion hits for "Barack Obama" doesn't tell me much. Can it find Barack Obama's hat size? That's a more realistic test of how good it might be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Replacing Google with 'DuckDudckGo' opinions sought




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Opinions Sought on System Mechanic Utility Software
PC World rates System Mechanic as a good all-around PC care utility, "designed to fix, speed up, de-clutter and protect your PC". Has anyone had any experience with this utility, good, bad or otherwise? Or can anyone recommend another similar utility that they have had good success with? ...
Software
BSOD troubleshooting assistance sought
Esteemed Counselors, This is a new system experiencing repeated and seemingly random bsods. For instance, it will blue screen while sitting idle. I replaced the c: drive, installed win7 64-bit, updated the bios and all drivers to the very latest as far as I can ascertain. I ran memtest86+,...
BSOD Help and Support
ESD precautions advice being sought.
I know it is important to protect your PC from ESD when ever you either upgrade or do anything inside the PC, the thing is though I am not sure what best practise is or am I doing it correct. I currently only have a wrist strap but was looking at buying a ESD floor mat as well as a mat for the...
Hardware & Devices
Advice sought...
This summer I will be buying or building a new computer for the release of W7. I've been partial to AMD processors and was wondering which would be recommended for Windows7. The two I'm debating between are the Phenom X4 or the Athlon X2. I plan on having 4 gb of ram. I've been currently...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App