Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: IE 8 with Windows 7 is like mud when opening

09 Nov 2009   #11

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post

I was being sarcastic. Most knowledgeable computer users don't browse with I.E.

Crazy B
At the risk of being shot down, I have to ask - why?

I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable computer user, and I know IE has its problems, but I don't think it is fair to imply that IE users are not knowledgeable computer users.

.....
Hi Sigurd,

No gunfire coming from this direction so have no fear.

As you have been using I.E for a long time you will know it has had more than it's fair share of bugs and viruses and vulnerabilities. A lot of this is because the mass of non computer literate computer users are using I.E. making it the richest ground for successful attacks by the crim types.

You will also know some versions of it have been downright awful I.E 5 & 6 were both pretty bad. But that's the worst of a bad bunch ...

Because at no point in time has there not been at least one browser offering a better experience.

Everything "new" in I.E. now is old in other browsers.

And when I say better I mean faster, more convenient, more features ... safer, SAFER (yes I said that twice - one of the key reasons knowledgeable folk avoid it).

I'm not saying everyone who uses I.E is stupid or anything like that. Maybe you never came across good reasons to try another? Maybe just unaware of the downsides of I.E. and the fantastic upsides other clients offer.

Firefox as mentioned above is a good example. With it's good code and plenty of add ons it is fast and offers a tailored and secure browsing environment. Everyone has their fave add ons .. mine are:

noscript - which allows me to choose the scripts which run and which don't meaning greater security, speed and less advertising.

cooliris - best image search tool I know - builds a 3D image wall of picture or video results full screen that you can drag along and back seeking those images you want/need.

fasterfox - when you get to the end of a google page of search results (or any such) it automatically loads the next page underneath the first and keeps going so you can scroll through many pages easily. It does a load of other stuff.

fast Dial (aka Chrome) - sets a panel of often used bookmarks, you can load them up with user logos from userlogos.org, if you like, and set it as your homepage - then each time you open a new tab you are presented visually with your top sites all one click away.

Anyway that's my little firefox add on list which means my firefox is doing the stuff I want and rpmstl's is doing as he wants


One example but the point being there has always been a better browsing experience available.

That is why Microsoft tied the browser in with the OS nice and tight and forced Netscape out of business - and are suffering in court still to this day for their actions.

Which is another reason - and the only non technical one - why many knowledgeable users don't use I.E. - because it has the bad smell of corporate monopoly at work all over it.

But it's really about the browsing experience. Why take a second class browser when you can get a first class for free?

Crazy B

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Nov 2009   #12

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Using a browser is not exactly a Rocket science,it's just a basic function of ordinary computing. People prefer different browsers like Opera,FF or Chrome to suit their needs and taste. IE8 fits me well as it is the resident browser and I like it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2009   #13

Windows 7
 
 

Thanks for the detailed response, none of which I would disagree with. I am aware of the drawbacks to IE and the marketing ploys of MS such as driving Netscape out of business (I used to use it; can't remember what came before it. I have been playing with PCs since my the Tandy Model 1!).
I don't spend that much time browsing - the internet is a means to an end, getting a specific piece of information or buying something, and getting involved in interesting discussions via forums (now that amateur radio bands are so crowded they are a dead loss) so all the great add-ons are not really of that much interest.
Firefox is undoubtedly better than IE. But IE is fine for my needs and my general PC security practices have (touch wood) been good enough to have avoided all but one virus infiltration since the Tandy days. Maybe I have just been lucky. Which of course is your point - IE does not protect people who don't have good PC security.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Nov 2009   #14

w7
 
 
Firefox

You are incorrect on browsers, I am very skilled at the computer for over 17 years and use both type browsers, to state IE 8 anyone thats skilled doesnt use it is incorrect to say the least, skilled or not the FACTS are FACTS

Kaspersky was the problem and that is the fact
It slowed file loads, browser load INCLUDING firefox, it has to do with the problem of Kaspersky and not what you so called skilled browser people use.

Keep the comments to what matters and thats Kaspersky

I removed it and the system blazes in file loading, IE 8 loading, firefox loading and anything loading.

Case closed for my situation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #15

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Doc24 View Post
You are incorrect on browsers, I am very skilled at the computer for over 17 years and use both type browsers, to state IE 8 anyone thats skilled doesnt use it is incorrect to say the least, skilled or not the FACTS are FACTS
If you are going to quote me and have a tantrum get the quote right.

I did not state that "anyone thats skilled doesnt use it" - I said, "Most knowledgeable computer users don't browse with I.E".

I am very happy for your very skilled 17 years experience. As you place so much emphasis on this then you will respect the fact that I have 31 years experience which includes everything from programming in machine code and assembly language on up.

Facts are facts. Most knowledgeable computer users do not use Internet Explorer. It's fact, not personal, so don't act like it is.

Crazy B
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #16

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
Facts are facts. Most knowledgeable computer users do not use Internet Explorer. It's fact, not personal, so don't act like it is.

Crazy B
That isn't fact, most of the real knowledgeable people I know use IE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #17

Windows 7
 
 

Being partially responsible for starting this debate, maybe I can finish it by saying that for most people whether they choose to use IE or Firefox or has little to do with how knowledgeable they are. It is more to do with their level of interest in computers.

For most users PCs are a tool used in the majority of cases for word processing, email and maybe a bit of web browsing/shopping. They simply use what came with their PC for all these activities.

In my circle of friends I am the "knowledgeable" one - the one eyed man who is king!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #18

Windows 7 Pro RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post

Facts are facts. Most knowledgeable computer users do not use Internet Explorer. It's fact, not personal, so don't act like it is.

Crazy B
And pseudoreasoning is pseudoreasoning. 'Tis nothing short of intellectually dishonest to present fanboy fluff as fact.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself. Since it is, as you say, a fact, then it should be no problem for you to support that claim with empirical evidence. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing the raw data from which the conclusion that "most knowledgeable computer users do not use Internet Explorer" logically flows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #19

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Signature Edition
 
 

Thanks to this thread I was able to discover what was slowing IE8 down, (Kaspersky). I have since removed it and installed Norton 2010 and all is well again. According to AV-Comparatives.org; Norton scored relatively well and seems they have turn the corner compared to their older products.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...c_report23.pdf
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #20

w7
 
 
Excellent

Fishdoc, yes I have received many replies on Kaspersky being the problem, while NOT wasting time in a post debating on which browser, how childish, when in fact this post was for a resolution to the problem and not a debate on browsers, take it somewhere else.

Admin, feel free to delete useless comments from the posts that do NOT apply to the issue of Kaspersky and using a different AV program.

I have since tested Kaspersky against Vipre which I am using on my other 2 machines and its the exact same issues. Emailed Kaspersky with no response, I am sure this is not news to them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 IE 8 with Windows 7 is like mud when opening





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: IE 8 with Windows 7 is like mud when opening
Thread Forum
Solved Windows Explorer - Control Panel and Computer windows empty on opening General Discussion
Opening Ports In Windows Network & Sharing
windows are not opening Network & Sharing
Problem Opening Windows 7 following Virus Removal (Windows Defender) BSOD Help and Support
Programs Not opening in Windows 7 Software
Opening XP .bkf files in Windows 7 Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 only opening! System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33