Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unable to connect to hotmail

03 Jan 2015   #1
Bibbster

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Unable to connect to hotmail

Hi Guys,

Bit of a weird issue i'm having here. All started last night when i tried to go onto Hotmail , then it was taking an unusually long time to load then eventually a page saying webpage unavailable. Every other phone , laptop etc connected to the router is able to get on it no bother so it seems to be exclusive to my laptop. I've tried a variety of things as listed below and cannot seem to figure out whats going wrong.

1. Cleared cache
2. Different browsers (IE & Chrome)
3. Disabled firewall
4. Flushed DNS
5.Rebooted Router
6. Rebooted Laptop

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lee


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jan 2015   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bibbster View Post
Hi Guys,

Bit of a weird issue i'm having here. All started last night when i tried to go onto Hotmail , then it was taking an unusually long time to load then eventually a page saying webpage unavailable. Every other phone , laptop etc connected to the router is able to get on it no bother so it seems to be exclusive to my laptop. I've tried a variety of things as listed below and cannot seem to figure out whats going wrong.

1. Cleared cache
2. Different browsers (IE & Chrome)
3. Disabled firewall
4. Flushed DNS
5.Rebooted Router
6. Rebooted Laptop

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lee
Just a shot in the dark, have you downloaded any new MS patches on the laptop?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2015   #3
Bibbster

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bibbster View Post
Hi Guys,

Bit of a weird issue i'm having here. All started last night when i tried to go onto Hotmail , then it was taking an unusually long time to load then eventually a page saying webpage unavailable. Every other phone , laptop etc connected to the router is able to get on it no bother so it seems to be exclusive to my laptop. I've tried a variety of things as listed below and cannot seem to figure out whats going wrong.

1. Cleared cache
2. Different browsers (IE & Chrome)
3. Disabled firewall
4. Flushed DNS
5.Rebooted Router
6. Rebooted Laptop

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lee
Just a shot in the dark, have you downloaded any new MS patches on the laptop?
Last one according to the update history log was on 21/12/14. This being 'Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3025390)'. So was installed a good few days before issues began
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jan 2015   #4
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Have you tried to use a different network via wifi from a library or a neighbors wifi...?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2015   #5
Bibbster

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Have you tried to use a different network via wifi from a library or a neighbors wifi...?
I've not tried that yet partly cause i live in the middle of nowhere and have no neighbors lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2015   #6
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Ha time for a road trip
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2015   #7
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

What client do you use to connect to Hotmail on the laptop. MS made some changes back when they migrated users to Outlook.com (essentially Hotmail, but not exactly). I think this would have been apparent a while ago, but you never know.

There are also some new account security features (although not necessarily that new).

And then ... there's the Outlook Connector (I'm not familiar with that at all, but it might be part of the equation)

Suggestion: Log into your Hotmail account on the web and check the configuration there. If there are any 'verify my account' links, try those. If there are additional security features, look through those and see how they might apply to the client you use.

The fact that different devices connect doesn't help troubleshoot the issue on your laptop, other than prove that it's not a router issue - that's a good thing. Thanks for that information. Those devices use different clients no doubt.

There's always the option of changing the protocol from HTML to Imap or POP3 - but save that for last (some research is required).

That's all I can think of given the information I have. You could preempt my next request by posting the configuration on your client.

Be sure to clear anything sensitive from the information you post, such as your eMail address (double check before posting ... sometimes the eMail address is also shown in the title bar of a window).

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2015   #8
Bibbster

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
What client do you use to connect to Hotmail on the laptop. MS made some changes back when they migrated users to Outlook.com (essentially Hotmail, but not exactly). I think this would have been apparent a while ago, but you never know.

There are also some new account security features (although not necessarily that new).

And then ... there's the Outlook Connector (I'm not familiar with that at all, but it might be part of the equation)

Suggestion: Log into your Hotmail account on the web and check the configuration there. If there are any 'verify my account' links, try those. If there are additional security features, look through those and see how they might apply to the client you use.

The fact that different devices connect doesn't help troubleshoot the issue on your laptop, other than prove that it's not a router issue - that's a good thing. Thanks for that information. Those devices use different clients no doubt.

There's always the option of changing the protocol from HTML to Imap or POP3 - but save that for last (some research is required).

That's all I can think of given the information I have. You could preempt my next request by posting the configuration on your client.

Be sure to clear anything sensitive from the information you post, such as your eMail address (double check before posting ... sometimes the eMail address is also shown in the title bar of a window).

Bill
.
I'm just accessing it through a browser , predominantly Chrome but have also resorted to trying IE ().
It seems to be anything with live.com(or.co.uk) just won't load.

So mail.live.com , live.com ,outlook.com all wont work. Just getting a message saying 'This page can’t be displayed'.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2015   #9
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

There's always Clean boot and or Safe mode with networking to try,
No traveling
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/179159-troubleshoot-application-conflicts-performing-clean-startup.html

Safe mode with networking,
Shut down your machine, Unplug-Hold the power button down for 30/45 seconds (Power Drain)
On a laptop remove the battery and do power drain
Power up and Tap the F8 key continuously until you see a black page with white text,
Use the down arrow key to toggle to safe mode with networking/ hit the enter key.
Login as usual
Other advanced methods,
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69585-safe-mode.html
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2015   #10
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Follow Mike's advice and try Safe mode.

After that, see if AdwCleaner finds anything

AdwCleaner is a two step process. Scan then Clean

Click here to download AdwCleaner (author: Xplode)
--> save the application to your Desktop.
  • Right-click AdwCleaner.exe on your Desktop and select Run As Administrator to run the scanner with full privilege rights.
    AdwCleaner is a standalone executable, there is no install.

  • Click on the Scan button.
    • AdwCleaner begins scanning your system. It might take some time to complete.

    • Review the detected objects grouped under each of the tabs.
      --> If there is something you KNOW should NOT be cleaned, clear the checkbox next to the object. If you're not sure about an object, paste the scan logfile (AdwCleaner[R#].txt) in a new post for a member to review and advise you.
      Otherwise, go to the next step.

  • After the scan has finished and you have reviewed the objects to be cleaned, click on the Clean button.
    • Answer OK to the close all programs prompt, then follow the onscreen prompts.
    • Answer OK to the restart the computer prompt to complete the removal process.
      The AdwCleaner log file is opened in your default Text editor when the machine has restarted.
      Each time AdwCleaner runs, the log file number [#] is incremented, the highest number is the most recent. There are two log files, one for the scan (AdwCleaner[R#].txt) and one for the clean (AdwCleaner[S#].txt).
Paste the entire clean logfile (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) in your next post.
--> AdwCleaner logs are located in the C:\AdwCleaner folder if you need to reference them again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to connect to hotmail




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unable to connect to one PC, but can the other way
Good Afternoon all, I hope you're enjoying this beautiful weather!! Well, you won't be able to for another few minutes. :cool: I'm here because the web is useless and despite me searching through pages of forum threads and Google searches, I have found nothing that relates to my problem exactly....
Network & Sharing
Can't connect to internet "Windows was unable to connect to this netwo
Hello guys, I have just finished my very first computer build and am rather happy with most things. Unfortunately I am having problems connecting to the internet. I have a temporary dongle in place and because it's my only option for about a month I kinda need it to work. When I first...
Network & Sharing
Frequently get Hotmail message "We can't connect to Hotmail right now"
The Hotmail message "We can't connect to Hotmail right now. Please make sure that you're connected to the internet and try again." seems to appear all the time. Is this caused by poor internet speed, because I've got that, or is it something with google chrome, the browser I'm using? When...
General Discussion
Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail, Windows Live Mail
As mentioned in the title, I have this problem with my windows live mail 2011. Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail (...............@hotmail.com) account. Server Error: 5102 Server: 'https://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/Sync.aspx' Windows Live Mail Error ID:...
Browsers & Mail
Mail Recipient Connect To Hotmail
I was hoping some one could help me set up dafault program for mail recipient to connect with Hotmail emailing. As in Outlook there was an easy way when you click on your photo's to resize them, so that it made it easyer to send (making them smaller). But right now when I select my picture...
Browsers & Mail
Unable to insert Photos from Skydrive into Hotmail
Colour me thick, but I cannot find a way to insert a photo from my Skydrive into an email I am composing in Hotmail. The only options in the Photo button in Hotmail are 'Create a new album', Web Images or clip art. Would it not be beyond the realm of possibility to link to my Skydrive so I can...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App