Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Yahoo Mail & Securing Your E-Mail

26 Jun 2016   #1
bej

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
 
 
Yahoo Mail & Securing Your E-Mail

Does anyone know what Yahoo is doing playing the "We want to protect your e-mail from nasty people" game ? They want everyone to change their password, give them a mobile phone number and a
couple of other obscure requests.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Jun 2016   #2
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I just ignore their requests for my mobile phone number (pretty much NOBODY gets that number!). The only time I change my password is when there is a possibility Yahoo and/or my password has been hacked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2016   #3
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bej View Post
Does anyone know what Yahoo is doing playing the "We want to protect your e-mail from nasty people" game ? They want everyone to change their password, give them a mobile phone number and a
couple of other obscure requests.
Yeah, Yahoo is ridiculous in nearly all respects--email, web site, "news" articles, and all the rest.

I just checked: it takes me 7 mouse clicks to get to view my incoming mail. Tell me that's not laughable. It's been that way for 3 or 4 years in my experience.

There's 3 or 4 of those mouse clicks that ask for mobile this and blah blah blah but you can just "skip for now" or "continue" and bypass them. I have a mobile-free household and if giving a mobile number ever becomes a true requirement, I'm gone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jun 2016   #4
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bej View Post
Does anyone know what Yahoo is doing playing the "We want to protect your e-mail from nasty people" game ? They want everyone to change their password, give them a mobile phone number and a
couple of other obscure requests.
Yeah, Yahoo is ridiculous in nearly all respects--email, web site, "news" articles, and all the rest.

I just checked: it takes me 7 mouse clicks to get to view my incoming mail. Tell me that's not laughable. It's been that way for 3 or 4 years in my experience.

There's 3 or 4 of those mouse clicks that ask for mobile this and blah blah blah but you can just "skip for now" or "continue" and bypass them. I have a mobile-free household and if giving a mobile number ever becomes a true requirement, I'm gone.
Curious. I need only one click to get to my mail. In fact, when I first open my browser, it goes directly to my yahoo mail since I have it set as my home page. I have to relog in only around once a month.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2016   #5
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Curious. I need only one click to get to my mail. In fact, when I first open my browser, it goes directly to my yahoo mail since I have it set as my home page. I have to relog in only around once a month.
When I open my browser, it's a blank page--by design. The less I see of Yahoo, the better, but I'm ashamed to admit I look at the "news" (you should pardon the expression) daily. The articles are hopelessly written and not proofread at all, but I can at least find out if the Martians have at long last landed without turning on the radio or TV.

I have a link to Yahoo at the top of my browser. It takes that click plus 6 more to see the list of incoming mails. I don't use the "keep me logged in" thingy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2016   #6
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Curious. I need only one click to get to my mail. In fact, when I first open my browser, it goes directly to my yahoo mail since I have it set as my home page. I have to relog in only around once a month.
When I open my browser, it's a blank page--by design. The less I see of Yahoo, the better, but I'm ashamed to admit I look at the "news" (you should pardon the expression) daily. The articles are hopelessly written and not proofread at all, but I can at least find out if the Martians have at long last landed without turning on the radio or TV.

I have a link to Yahoo at the top of my browser. It takes that click plus 6 more to see the list of incoming mails. I don't use the "keep me logged in" thingy.
That explains why it takes you so many clicks to get in. There is no harm in staying logged in.

I have better sources for news than Yahoo so I never go there. I have my email page set up as my home page since I'm going to go there anyway pretty much every time I open my browser.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2016   #7
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
All email services are getting that way
Even gmail popped up with no skip as it always has had in the past

Took close to a year for hotmail to stop the "Call us overprotective" popups and freezing the account for no real reason other than they want a silly cell phone number on record which if they had half a clue they already have it on record at the store where I purchased Office long ago under the same ms account
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2016   #8
bej

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
 
 

I agree. Their "news" is tooo funny. I don't think they would know a real news story if it slapped them up side of the face.
They asked for this information another time. It was several months ago. Maybe they didn't get enough
mobile numbers or whatever. Unfortunately, there is no "complaint" email to let them know how ridiculous these requests have become. At least to the users.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2016   #9
OvenMaster

Win7 Pro 32bit; Zorin OS 9 Core (in VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bej View Post
Does anyone know what Yahoo is doing playing the "We want to protect your e-mail from nasty people" game ? They want everyone to change their password, give them a mobile phone number and a
couple of other obscure requests.
Yeah, Yahoo is ridiculous in nearly all respects--email, web site, "news" articles, and all the rest.

I just checked: it takes me 7 mouse clicks to get to view my incoming mail. Tell me that's not laughable. It's been that way for 3 or 4 years in my experience.

There's 3 or 4 of those mouse clicks that ask for mobile this and blah blah blah but you can just "skip for now" or "continue" and bypass them. I have a mobile-free household and if giving a mobile number ever becomes a true requirement, I'm gone.
Same here. But so far as I am aware, starting a new Yahoo account requires that you provide them with a mobile phone number for verification and/or account recovery purposes. No mobile number, no account. If there's a way around this, I'm all ears. (Disclaimer: I closed my Yahoo account two years ago and moved to Mail.com where there is no mobile number requirement)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2016   #10
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Oven:

You could well be right. I've had my Yahoo account for 7 or 8 years I'd guess, so don't know about new accounts.

I'm unfamiliar with mail.com. What's the worst part about it, shortcomings, etc? I'm not sure I'd ever even heard of it. I just looked at their web site and see a bunch of news articles on the front page, similar to yahoo. I'm guessing they make money off ads and clicks, like yahoo?

I may be interested in mail.com--about all I'd require is reliability, a simple and sane interface, and the ability to have 2 or 3 addresses.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Yahoo Mail & Securing Your E-Mail




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Thunderbird 24.0.1 - Import Yahoo Mail Folders, Contacts & Yahoo Mail
The "new improved" Yahoo Mail isn't. In fact, it's vexing, mortifyingly slow, and no longer allows open folders while creating new messages so you can't copy and paste with both items open. Since Yahoo won't permit going back to the old, reliable version. So, I'm seriously considering a switch to...
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail password request to recieve my ATT/Yahoo mail
In recent days I was asked by ATT.net Yahoo to change my password and did. Windows Live Mail will not allow a password (anything..?) change... and simply reverts to what was. I need to correct the password each time it opens and am able to receive receive mail, but.. WLM will not change...???
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail saying my password for Yahoo Mail is incorrect
I am trying to get all my yahoo and gmail messgaes to come to me through windows Live Mail, Gmail it is working fine, but for yahoo it is not it says Server Error 0x800CCC90, is there a possible fix for this
Browsers & Mail
How to install yahoo mail as my default mail service using Chrome
Hello Is it possible to install Yahoo mail as my default mail service using Chrome? I know ho to do it with Explorer but no luck with Chrome browser Martin
Browsers & Mail
Do I need the Avast Free Mail Shield if I use Yahoo Mail online
Hi, I've just installed Avast! free antivirus on my Windows 7 PC. The installation installed something called the Mail Shield. Is there any point in having this turned on if I only access my emails using Yahoo's webmail service? Does it only scan mail if I use a client such as Windows Live Mail...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App