I just got off Remote Access with my brother 3,000 miles away. He thought he had a virus or some trojan but after deep thinking I figured it out and wanted to pass it on just in case someone here sees the same thing..
After starting up a WinXP system the first time in the evening all goes great.
As soon as he activated IE8 with a default screen to MSN.com goes ok for a few seconds then IE get redirected to another site that has a bunch of garbage. The site was htt://www.local-news-online.com
The site has phoney stuff so don't waste your time going there.
Well we tried Malwarebytes, SpyBot Search and Destroy as well as a good updated virus scanner.
The only one that caught the redirect history was SypBot which counted about 23 which were deleted. What was really the final solution and cure
It seems that at a past website my brother or his wife hit something and said yes......
It was Yes to install a MS FEED to IE8.
IE8 was default set up to check any feeds daily when IE8 first started.
I looked at the FEEDS list and found it and deleted it as well as the others.
Oh I also shutdown the Feeds under IE8 Options, Content to insure it doesn't happen again.
So put this in your memory banks for future use.
P.S. Remote Access works great between Windows 7 and WinXP computers.