It is interesting to look at a few other threads on freezing, hanging etc.
may be related.....
Windows 7 HP Pavillion Laptop
Firefox Internet Download Manager
DSL from ATT Speedstream 5100 modem
normal download speed 3008 kbs/s
1) has worked well for about 6 months
2) many updates to all programs and Windows 7 - later odd problem
3) does not appear to be ATT - techs have checked line and modem many times
during downloads of a batch of files, downloads drop in speed then shut down to zero -- modem sometimes resets itself -- to a much slower speed.
does not "seem" to be a firewall problem - PC Internet Security Suite
and yes I hate to try there tech support for any answers...
OK - reboot modem many times -- no luck will not reset to normal speed.
power off modem and reboot computer -- sometimes will get proper speed.
hard reboot of laptop and reboot modem sometimes will get proper speed.
problem getting worse
suspicions are that there is a Windows 7 app accessing the internet which blows away my downloads. -- but what? there is nothing showing in the task manager...
maybe Windows 7 error reporting?
1) is there a program that will definitely show me what programs are accessing the internet in real time via any/all ports?
2) how can I turn off any possible Windows 7 apps that may want to access the internet?
3) any clever ideas?
---- and yes, I have the latest updates to every driver
Windows 7 and HP recommended.