What should I do if I forget my Windows Live ID password?
First, follow these steps:
- In the sign-in area, click Forgot your password?
- In the Email address field, enter the address you used to create your Windows Live ID.
- Enter the characters that you see in the Picture field, and then click Continue.
- Do one of the following:
Then, you have two options to identify or reset your password. Either send yourself a password reset email message:
- Click Send yourself a password reset email message.
- If you added an alternate email address to your credentials, click Send an email message to my alternate email address, and then click Send Message. Or, if you use the Save my email address and password option when you sign in, click the option to send an email message to your usual email address, and then click Send Message. You'll be able to access your email, because your password was automatically saved.
- Open your alternate email account, and follow the instructions in the password reset email message.
Or, answer your secret question:
- Click Provide account information and answer your secret question.
- From the Country/Region menu, select the name of your country or region, enter your ZIP code or postal code if prompted to do so. Then, in the Secret Answer area, enter your answer to the question in the Question area.
- Click Continue.
- Enter and confirm a new password, and then click Continue.
- Click Done.