Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: An unsolvable problem?

22 Aug 2010   #1
KIAEddZ

 
 
An unsolvable problem?

After trawling the net, I have decided to plump for this forum to post my problem on, simply because it seems to be filled with some very knowledgable people.

Now the engraciating compliment has been paid, PLEASE HELP ME

I have an Asus W90VP-UZ046J

Detailed Specifications
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Penryn (T9550 - 2.66 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 6MB)
Screen 18.4" (ASUS Full HD (16:9) Dual Lamp 1920 x 1080 ColorShine Screen)
Operating System Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64 Bit
RAM HIGH (6144MB 6GB DDR2 800MHz)
Hard Drive 640GB (2 x 320GB HDD)
Optical Drive Blu-Ray (Blu-Ray HD Play back + DVD-RW & CD-RW)
Graphics Dedicated (Dual ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 GPU's with 1024MB Dedicated RAM)
Wireless LAN Wireless (WIFI LINK A,B,G,N Includes MIMO)
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
Integrated Webcam Yes (This model 0.3 megapixel CMOS camera)
Card Reader 8-in-1 card reader (SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,mini SD , MS-Duo, MS-Pro)
USB Ports 4x USB 2.0 Ports
Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
Speakers High Definition Audio Speakers
Modem 56.6K Modem
VGA Port 1 External VGA Port
Kensington Lock Kensington lock slot
Charge Time 2.5 Hours
HDMI 1 HDMI Connector
Firewire IEEE 1394 port
E-sata 1x Esata Connector

The machine comes loaded with Windows Vista, about 6 months ago I bought an SSD drive and upgraded to Windows 7 using a legitimate copy of Window 7 Professional.

All was fine, worked beautifully until after a while it started randomly shutting down. Not like "shutting down" I mean just plain 1 second on, next second off, as if someone had pulled the power. This seemed to get more frequent.

I reinstalled Win 7, again all was fine then it started again, after a couple more reinstalls (I am persistant) and the same ting happening after a few weeks eachtime, I thought it must be Win 7 on this hardare and gave up, reinstalling Win Vista, which never does it.

But then 2 of my friends got tthis laptop, and both on Win 7, neither with this issue..

So I thought it must be the SSD drive, so sent it back and got a new one.

Did it all over again, all was fine for 3 weeks then it started just shutting down again.. no warning, just off.

I disabled the auto shutdown in the advanced settings, but I don't get a dump file..

I made sure the ps isn't stopping the hard drives, in fact I have tried absolutely everything I can think off with no success...

I really need ideas and help, or its back to Vista for me

So over to you..


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2010   #2
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Could it be a bad setting in the "Turbo Gear function". Was the Asus from your friends already provided with Windows 7 or did they upgraded as you? Might be drivers issue.

Looks like a nice "monster" laptop:
http://www.asus.co.uk/nb/w90/features.html#small_spec
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #3
KIAEddZ

 
 

I dont have the Turbo Gear Software running..

I didnt bother to get the Asus Win 7 Free Upgrade offer, as I didnt want to upgrade from Vista, so I insatlled a Professional version which is running on many machines at my place of work with no issues. I dont have any of the Asus software on it, just vanilla windows with normal stuff, a few games, itunes etc etc

Both my freinds are running similar copies, both professional, one legitimate one not.

With that said it does feel like a driver issue, it certainly isn't heat as I have run checks of temps etc and it does this shut off thing irrelevant of temp.

But when it shuts down there is no BSOD, and no dump file as far as I can tell..

The most frustrating thing is on Vista its rock solid, never an issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Aug 2010   #4
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KIAEddZ View Post
I dont have the Turbo Gear Software running..

I didnt bother to get the Asus Win 7 Free Upgrade offer, as I didnt want to upgrade from Vista, so I insatlled a Professional version which is running on many machines at my place of work with no issues. I dont have any of the Asus software on it, just vanilla windows with normal stuff, a few games, itunes etc etc

Both my freinds are running similar copies, both professional, one legitimate one not.

With that said it does feel like a driver issue, it certainly isn't heat as I have run checks of temps etc and it does this shut off thing irrelevant of temp.

But when it shuts down there is no BSOD, and no dump file as far as I can tell..

The most frustrating thing is on Vista its rock solid, never an issue.
Any SATA-IDE or SATA-AHCI controllers to check in the device manager/bios settings?

PS: Welcome to Sevenforums!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #5
KIAEddZ

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KIAEddZ View Post
I dont have the Turbo Gear Software running..

I didnt bother to get the Asus Win 7 Free Upgrade offer, as I didnt want to upgrade from Vista, so I insatlled a Professional version which is running on many machines at my place of work with no issues. I dont have any of the Asus software on it, just vanilla windows with normal stuff, a few games, itunes etc etc

Both my freinds are running similar copies, both professional, one legitimate one not.

With that said it does feel like a driver issue, it certainly isn't heat as I have run checks of temps etc and it does this shut off thing irrelevant of temp.

But when it shuts down there is no BSOD, and no dump file as far as I can tell..

The most frustrating thing is on Vista its rock solid, never an issue.
Any SATA-IDE or SATA-AHCI controllers to check in the device manager/bios settings?

PS: Welcome to Sevenforums!
Hi and tahnkyou

What do you mean? check?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #6
KIAEddZ

 
 

Heres my Device Manager in teh attachments.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #7
KIAEddZ

 
 

Anyone else have any ideas for me to try?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #8
Harvey Meale

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, BackTrack 4, Ubuntu
 
 

Hi KIAEddZ,

You're in good hands here - we'll get to the bottom of this sooner or later.

Now, my initial thoughts were that your PSU was shot. How long have you had this computer for? And was it fine before you bought the new SSD?

Thanks,
Harvey Meale
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #9
KIAEddZ

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Harvey Meale View Post
Hi KIAEddZ,

You're in good hands here - we'll get to the bottom of this sooner or later.

Now, my initial thoughts were that your PSU was shot. How long have you had this computer for? And was it fine before you bought the new SSD?

Thanks,
Harvey Meale

Hey Harvey

Well I have had it about a year, but on Vista its rock solid and never crashes and on Win 7 it does the shut off thing, so I was reluctant to think it was the PSU (which is a 1000W PSU)

I havent yet tried Vista on the SSD drive to see if its a compatability issue between the SSD and Win 7, but its a very popular SSD drive (Samsung) so again am reluctant to think its this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #10
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Have you checked the temps on your computer? Or CPU spikes? Does the machine shut down while running a particular app?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 An unsolvable problem?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Seemingly unsolvable IRQL_NOT_LESS OR EQUAL (0xA)
As explain in title I am getting the error IRQL_NOT_LESS OR EQUAL (0xA) If you need full list of details on my computer there should be one in my profile, sorry not sure how this works as its first time I make a post. I've literately tried everything I could think of in an attempt to fix...
BSOD Help and Support
USB Error Code 37 unsolvable.
So i've tried plugging my PC xbox360 Wireless controller in and was greeted with Code 37, so i tried fixes for that driver specifically with no luck, I then tried my ps3 controller with motioninjoy and their drivers and Code 37 again. Windows 7 64. GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev. 1.3)....
Hardware & Devices
weird unsolvable DNS problem?
Hello! First of all, id like to say that this must be the most informative all-around forum ive seen concerning MS related products. Ive encountered a problem with my win7 x64 system. When i try to connect and access either wi-fi or LAN, the system continues like normal showing the...
Network & Sharing
No Sound, the unsolvable problem... take the challenge?
Alright, I'm new to posting and feel I have a doosey of a task. I'm pretty good at this stuff so this can't be something minor. Bring it on! The problem: No sound The symptoms: Besides the obvious there is a little red 'x' over my speaker icon in the lower right. When I double click...
Sound & Audio
Unsolvable networking issue
Folks, Could it be I have (sadly) found a network issue which has defeated every Windows 7 expert community? I have posted my issue on every expert forum I can find, in total almost 1'000 views, but not one answer. Is this because my issue is too niche, or because the solution has in fact eluded...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 - Unsolvable problemstorm of DOOM
After trying to solve this problem for a long, long time. (http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/50852-problems-windows-live-games-require.html) i finally decided that the only solution would be to reinstall windows. but ofcourse, i had to encounter yet another problem while on my way to reinstall...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App