Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Down Home, Dirty BSOD Blues, Again!


26 Aug 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 
Down Home, Dirty BSOD Blues, Again!

Hello, my Windows 7 system is a few months old, and I have been having some alarming BSOD problems. These seem to occur during heavy load on the system (gaming), but one or two have happened during no load.

I posted on this forum asking for help some weeks ago, here is the link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...een-blues.html

I removed a program that might have been causing the trouble, then tested my memory with memtest86 for 8 passes with no problems.

The issue seemed to go away, but I have started getting crashes again and need some more help troubleshooting the problem. This forum has been very helpful in the past, so I turn to you, the experts, once again for help.

Ok, now that the background is out of the way, on to the good stuff:

System Specs:

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

CPU: Intel I5 750 2.6GH Quad core

MB: Asus P7P55D

Memory: 6GB DDR3-1600MHZ

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Display: Asus 24" LCD

HD: 2x 1000GB Drives

PS: Toughpower 750W

______________________________________________________________________


Is Windows 7 . . .

- x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?
*x64

- the original installed OS on the system?
*Original OS

- an OEM or full retail version?
*OEM Version

- What is the age of system (hardware)?
*Purchased in June 2010 Custom Built (By a local computer store) from new parts.

- What is the age of OS installation (have you re-installed the OS?)
*I have not reinstalled yet (willing to do so if I need to) so it has the original installation of Windows 7. (assuming June 2010)

_______________________________________________________________________

Thanks guys for taking the time to look at this issue for me!


Files attached below:

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Aug 2010   #2

Microsoft Window 7 Professional 32 bit
 
 

Hi Aphex and welcome back to SF!

Stop code 3B and win32.sys was mentioned, which make me think about 3rd party antivirus or firewall are causing these, please remove Avast:
avast! Uninstall Utility
Install MSE instead:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Update this driver:
Code:
regi     regi.sys     Mon Apr 16 22:19:10 2007 (462393EE)
It is InterVideo regi.sys driver
InterVideo Support - Frequently Asked Questions on WinDVD and other Products

There is one stop code 101, please read this article for more detail about it:
http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...oubleshtg.html

BUGCHECK SUMMARY:
Code:
BugCheck 101, {31, 0, fffff880009e8180, 1}

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff960000764a9, fffff88006123770, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!xxxInternalDoPaint+19 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
Run system file check please:
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Regard,

Tuan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Thanks Tuan, I am at work, and unable to work on this until later tonight. I will post again, once I have tried what you suggested!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Aug 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Ok! Here are the steps I have taken:

1. Uninstalled Avast from my computer using the link provided. I booted into safe mode first, as instructed, and removed the program. I then installed MSE and did a full system scan (no issues).

2. I uninstalled WINDVD a month ago, because I thought it was assoicated with that driver (I have no use for the program, it came pre-installed). However, it seems the driver is still there. I went to the link, but the website is not very helpful, and I could not locate any information regarding that driver, or uninstalling WINDVD. Any ideas here?

3. I read the link on stop code 101:

a. When I began having these crashes I thought this could be a heat issue, so I installed PC probe to watch the temps. My processor gets up to 59C-60C when gaming, from what I understand this is a bit on the hot side, but not overheating. Note: I have verified this temp from the BIOS, after 2 of my BSOD crashes I loaded my BIOS during the restart after the crash, and checked the temp in the hardware monitor section, it was the same as PC Probe, if not a few degrees cooler.

The MB temp stays nice and cool, under stress or not. I am not sure about my GPU's temps, but it seems to run fine. I am going to update the drivers for my card as they are a few months out of date.

b. I am not sure how to check for a BIOS bug, suggestions? Should I update my BIOS?

c. What about the stress tests suggested in the stop thread, should I run both of those? The GPU one looks scary, can that damage my card?

3. When I try to run sfc /scannow I get the following error: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

I tried to run sfc /scannow using a command prompt that I created using the steps linked, and again from right clicking on cmd in the start menu; running as admin, and again by typing in cmd and pressing ctl+shift+enter. I tried 3 different ways to make sure I was doing it correctly. Have you seen this error before? Is this a clue?

Thanks again for looking at my problem Tuan!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aphex View Post
Ok! Here are the steps I have taken:

1. Uninstalled Avast from my computer using the link provided. I booted into safe mode first, as instructed, and removed the program. I then installed MSE and did a full system scan (no issues).

2. I uninstalled WINDVD a month ago, because I thought it was assoicated with that driver (I have no use for the program, it came pre-installed). However, it seems the driver is still there. I went to the link, but the website is not very helpful, and I could not locate any information regarding that driver, or uninstalling WINDVD. Any ideas here?
You can nvavigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Locate this driver and rename it from .sys to .bak.

Quote:
3. I read the link on stop code 101:

a. When I began having these crashes I thought this could be a heat issue, so I installed PC probe to watch the temps. My processor gets up to 59C-60C when gaming, from what I understand this is a bit on the hot side, but not overheating. Note: I have verified this temp from the BIOS, after 2 of my BSOD crashes I loaded my BIOS during the restart after the crash, and checked the temp in the hardware monitor section, it was the same as PC Probe, if not a few degrees cooler.

The MB temp stays nice and cool, under stress or not. I am not sure about my GPU's temps, but it seems to run fine. I am going to update the drivers for my card as they are a few months out of date.

b. I am not sure how to check for a BIOS bug, suggestions? Should I update my BIOS?

c. What about the stress tests suggested in the stop thread, should I run both of those? The GPU one looks scary, can that damage my card?
Monitor your GPU temp when you run it. Run it until you get artifacts or until your GPU reached the max temp as per the manufacturer.

Quote:
3. When I try to run sfc /scannow I get the following error: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

I tried to run sfc /scannow using a command prompt that I created using the steps linked, and again from right clicking on cmd in the start menu; running as admin, and again by typing in cmd and pressing ctl+shift+enter. I tried 3 different ways to make sure I was doing it correctly. Have you seen this error before? Is this a clue?
Do you have system protection disabled?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Hey Carl, thanks for dropping by!

1. Renamed the file.

2. Ok, I will run these tests over the weekend and update this thread with the results.

3. System Protection is ON for my System Drive (C), however the slider for space allocated is at the minimum (9g or so).

I will also update with crash info if I have any more. Thanks for the help guys!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

You are very welcome, aphex; that is why we are here. Good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Hello, sorry for the long delay in communication, been a busy time of the year, peak season at work and all. Anyway I wanted to let you know I figured out the issue that was causing all my BSOD's.

My Motherboard supports 2 DIMM sticks, or 4 DIMM sticks, but not 3, which is what the people (morons) who built my system installed. (2GB x 3) You think they would know that installing 3 sticks would cause instability...

I have removed one 2GB stick and have been running great, no BSOD's to date. Note: this issue was found by reading my motherboard manual in frustration :P

The plan now, is to purchase one more 2GB stick and run a total of 4 (8GB).

I want to thank you guys for taking the time to help me out, and I hope this info will help others in the future!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

That is great news! A simple fix - but tons of frustration. Thank you for posting back and letting us know. That is useful information you provided. Happy computing!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Down Home, Dirty BSOD Blues, Again!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Down Home, Dirty BSOD Blues, Again!
Thread Forum
Post set-up blues General Discussion
Trying to shake the BSOD blues BSOD Help and Support
External HDD (H) Dirty BSOD Help and Support
BSD Blues BSOD Help and Support
2 640g blacks on R0, 2 500g blues or 2 640g blues? Hardware & Devices
Activation Blues... Windows Updates & Activation
DVD Blues Media Center

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33