I've been experiencing an increasing annoying behavior with Windows 7 lately. There is no discernible pattern of cause, but one or more applications will suddenly stop responding for several minutes. Often the entire OS stops responding.
I usually keep Process Explorer running and during these episodes CPU and memory usage always remain low. Here's what I've done to detect a problem:
- Checked system integrity (via SFC command)
- Run virus scans and protection (via MS Security Essentials)
- Checked for suspicious or unverified processes/services (via Process Explorer)
- Checked the logs for anything unusual (via Event Viewer)
- Tried disabling Aero
- Updated all hardware drivers
- Spent hours Googling for a clue
Anyone had similar experiences and found an answer? Thanks!