Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Crash after sleep

05 Oct 2010   #11

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
On perfmon.htm, your disk checks fails. Click on it to see what the story is.

**EDIT**

And this error appeared on perfmon:
Quote:
Warning
Symptom: [IMG]res://wdc.dll/warning.gif[/IMG]
The VolumeDirty flag is set on the disk
Cause: A logical disk has the dirty bit set. Details: This disk has been marked as dirty, it may be experiencing errors or might have not been shut down correctly Resolution: 1. Run chkdsk on the drive and document any errors identified.
2. If chkdsk determines that there are errors on the drive run chkdsk /f to repair the errors.
I dont think this is the issue... I had an external hard drive connected while I was running the test, and that was the dirty drive (not sure what that means, but I ran a cmd prompt and check all my drives)... my sleep issue occurs regardless of the external hard drive being attached or not. The C: and D: drives are not dirty (c: is my OS and D: is my storage)

I am attaching a new perfmon report that I just ran without the external hard drive... its says I have no anti virus, but thats not true. I just install a fresh copy of the OS on the SSD today and installed NIS 2011 right away. I am going to run memtest86 on it tonight and see if there is anything there. Thanks for all your help so far. Hopefully this gets sorted out!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Oct 2010   #12

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

I'm not sure that this is applicable, but here it is:
Troubleshoot problems waking computer from sleep mode

Also go to the mobo manufacturer's site and make sure you have the latest bios and drivers for the chips on the board.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
I'm not sure that this is applicable, but here it is:
Troubleshoot problems waking computer from sleep mode

Also go to the mobo manufacturer's site and make sure you have the latest bios and drivers for the chips on the board.

I have already done this too! Also, using the mouse, keyboard, or power button have the same effect.

BIOS is set to let the OS control wake up events... Ill try letting BIOS control and see if I cant anything better.


Also, its most likely not a memory issue, as it passed a memtest with zero errors... albeit I only ran it overnight versus a full day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Oct 2010   #14

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I changedmy BIOS to manage wake up events and got a IRQL not less than equal BSOD on wake up from sleep...

I changed my power option in Windows to allow hybrid sleep. I put the machine to sleep and the when I hit any button (power, keyboard, mouse) the computer seems to go into a "hibernate mode" instead of turning (or crashing). Now I can not wake it by any USB device, but if I hit the power button, Windows "Resumes."

Without hybrid sleep on, I get the same crashing issues as before.

Another thing I have noticed is this issue is time sensitive. By that I mean if try to wake the machine up within a couple minutes of sleeping these aformentioned problems crop up. If I put it into sleep for more than a few minutes... it seems to wake up fine. (The machine does goo to sleep pretty quickly, meaning fans, cpus all shut down and arent lingering on when I try to wake up the machine)

Hope this additional information helps!

Is it possible that my memory is getting powered off in sleep, even though BIOS is set to S3??? That would seem to account for a lot of these issues!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Let me simply what the issue what is happening so far:

With Hybrid sleep DIS-abled:
I hit the sleep button
The computer sleeps
Hit a button (mouse, keyboard, power button) to wake up the computer.
Everything turns on for a second and the computer off.
Hit the power button and I get the windows had an unexpected error because the computer crashed.

with hybrid sleep EN-abled:
I hit the sleep button
The computer sleeps
Hit a button (mouse, keyboard, power button) to wake up the computer.
Everything turns on for a second and the computer turns off
Hit the power button and windows resumes!

I would like the computer to wake up from sleep instead of shutting down/crashing/resuming (from hibernation)

I feel like the issue is something related to memory. From my understanding hybrid sleep, writes to the SSD and leaves memory powered on. So when I power on, even if memory had lost power somehow in S3 sleep, it can "wake" up because of everything on RAM being written to the SSD. On the other hand, if hybrid sleep is disabled, and if memory is losing power somehow in S3, a wake up would result in BSOD of some sort.

I think that makes some sense, if my assumptions are correct?!? Anybody more knowledgeable able to expunge on this?

My RAM is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227559 if that helps?!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #16

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

You are correct on understanding hybrid sleep. It protects your open documents and programs in case the power fails.

Is your bios version 17.6 (August 31,2010)? If not, please flash your bios.

Did you check for newest drivers?

MSI Global – Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
You are correct on understanding hybrid sleep. It protects your open documents and programs in case the power fails.

Is your bios version 17.6 (August 31,2010)? If not, please flash your bios.

Did you check for newest drivers?

MSI Global – Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

Yep thats my BIOS version... and all those drivers are up to date
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #18

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Now I'm getting desperate. What if we enter msconfig, click on startup tab, and uncheck all SAFE items for testing purposes?

**EDIT ** Also temporarily uninstall our virus scanner, remove firewall if it's not MS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #19

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Now I'm getting desperate. What if we enter msconfig, click on startup tab, and uncheck all SAFE items for testing purposes?

**EDIT ** Also temporarily uninstall our virus scanner, remove firewall if it's not MS.

Lemur not that I don't trust you on this one... I have had the same issue 2 weeks ago with a different HDD in the same machine. In S3, if power is only going to RAM, and I am getting BSOD errors... My gut (maybe not even intellect) is saying the RAM is bad... I am also basing this a little on reading some of the reviews on the newegg link above... I have 2 start up entries, and both are related to my dinovo mini... I have NIS 2011 on the rig... I think I am going to RMA the RAM and see if some other RAM will do the trick!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #20

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by patel33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Now I'm getting desperate. What if we enter msconfig, click on startup tab, and uncheck all SAFE items for testing purposes?

**EDIT ** Also temporarily uninstall our virus scanner, remove firewall if it's not MS.

Lemur not that I don't trust you on this one... I have had the same issue 2 weeks ago with a different HDD in the same machine. In S3, if power is only going to RAM, and I am getting BSOD errors... My gut (maybe not even intellect) is saying the RAM is bad... I am also basing this a little on reading some of the reviews on the newegg link above... I have 2 start up entries, and both are related to my dinovo mini... I have NIS 2011 on the rig... I think I am going to RMA the RAM and see if some other RAM will do the trick!
LOL. No, that's fine. I guess while we're at it, you could check the voltage on the memory to make sure it's correct. But it's probably about time to swap memory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Crash after sleep





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Crash after sleep
Thread Forum
System crash after sleep BSOD Help and Support
Sleep Crash on wake-up BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 crash after sleep BSOD Help and Support
Solved Crash when sleep BSOD Help and Support
Crash on Sleep BSOD Help and Support
Crash in hibernate or sleep BSOD Help and Support
Win 7 Crash During Sleep BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33